It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Aren't Views on Threads Counted?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I've noticed on Public Profiles that there is a "view" counter for individual threads. However, any thread after a date is registered at 0 views, even if it has 1329 replies. At the same time, other threads from way back in the day (2007) have working view counters. Is that going to be fixed or what?

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
If I remember correctly, they used to be counted but they disabled it for database performance reasons.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Something that would be a lot better would be a "thumbs down" flag system to compliment the "thumbs up" flags which currently exist.

This would give a much better presentation due to the interplay between "thumbs up" and "thumbs down", something I think that a lot of people would appreciate.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus

If I remember correctly, they used to be counted but they disabled it for database performance reasons.

I believe you are absolutely correct, that is also what I remember. I worked with Microsoft Jet 3.5 within a VB5 app many years ago, and that view counter updates would hit the performance pretty bad.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Thumbs down flags would be taken advantage of by trolls.

The search function does more to performance than a counter would.

I like the idea of a view counter in addition to thumbs up flags.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Portugoal
Is that going to be fixed or what?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Because then it would be obvious that some threads get more flags than they should, because of manipulation within the site.

People would see that some thread that get lots of flags (the debunkers) are not getting an equivalent amount of views, suggesting corruption.

David Icke's forums have no problem showing views, so the excuse that it uses up too much data is lame.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Question Answered

Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join