It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Shuttle may continue through next year: Roscosmos! (and launch dates)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
05/06/2010: 10:46

The U.S. Space Shuttle program may not come to an end this year, Russian Federal Space Agency Roscosmos said in a statement, citing International Space Station (ISS) manager. According to Michael Suffredini, the space shuttle Atlantis may be launched to the ISS in summer 2011.

"In this case, additional scientific equipment and components for system of water regeneration from condensate could be delivered to the U.S. segment of the station," the statement said. "However, funding for this flight has not been provided so far."

The U.S. flights program was planned to be closed this year. The final flight to the ISS was due to be made by shuttle Endeavour on November 26 when Discovery is supposed to make its last trip in September.

Source: en.rian.ru...

Well, if anyone is going to know first, it is the Russians. They have a lot invested in this. I didn't think the US would just STOP the program. Not without something. Even just to haul materials and not humans to the ISS. I just don't think we can trust the Russians so much that we can give them Top Secret stuff to handle and be in possession of. Maybe I am stuck in the old school.

Anyway, looks like NASA just gave them the heads up and MAYBE then didn't like the news. Why announce it MAY continue. To put pressure on Obama, make him look like he couldn't come threw on, yet another, promise/plan?

Also in the article are links to storis about upcoming Shuttle launches;

Space shuttle Atlantis to depart on last voyage on May 14 - NASA: Source: en.rian.ru...

Space shuttle Endeavour due for launch on July 11 - NASA: Source: en.rian.ru...

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I can very well believe this. It makes no sense whatsoever for the US to cancel the shuttle when you have no replacement, and now basically rely completely on the Russians. It just doesn't make any sense! Or am I missing something here?

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
America should give the Shuttle Program to private industry in return for one mission a year.

This way the private industry could take over the existing program at no cost other than supplying Nasa a free mission once a year.

Then the companies could use the shuttle for profitible launches as many times as they could get it ready to launch in a year.

Funny thing is that NASA would probably end up being their primary customer

Private industry would probably be able to extend the shuttle life, make it cheaper to launch and even improve its existing technology without the constraints of a corrupted and lost government.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Xeven

That is one heck of any idea. About the best I have heard.

It sems private companies should be able to give it a good whack.

We should do somehting!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
this does not saprise me.a month ago ware i work thay were working on a part for the shuttle.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by slayerfan

Wow, can you expand on you r statement.

What are they making, for what exactly etc?

Do you know what mission it is for etc?

Can you talk about you job?

jra

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
I didn't think the US would just STOP the program. Not without something.

But that is the current plan. NASA had a 6 year gap in manned spaceflight before. After the joint Apollo-Soyuz mission in 1975, they had to wait until 1981 for the first Shuttle mission.

I just don't think we can trust the Russians so much that we can give them Top Secret stuff to handle and be in possession of.

What top secret stuff are you referring to? There isn't anything top secret about the ISS as far as I'm aware.

And if any shuttles are going to get an extension. I'd imagine it would be Endeavour as it's the newest one of the three.

Originally posted by Xeven
America should give the Shuttle Program to private industry in return for one mission a year.

That's what NASA wanted to do back in the late 90's. They wanted a private company to take over maintaining the shuttles, but the shuttles are expensive to maintain and expensive to launch.

Here are a few that talk a bit about it.
www.spaceref.com...
www.forbes.com...

This way the private industry could take over the existing program at no cost other than supplying Nasa a free mission once a year.

How would they make money by giving NASA free flights? As NASA would probably be the only ones who could afford it.

Then the companies could use the shuttle for profitible launches as many times as they could get it ready to launch in a year.

Who's going to pay to launch something on the shuttle when you have access to less expensive options like ILS and ULA who are already operating and others like Space X coming up. Any company trying to use the space shuttle wouldn't stand a chance trying to compete with others using newer and less expensive hardware.

Private industry would probably be able to extend the shuttle life, make it cheaper to launch and even improve its existing technology without the constraints of a corrupted and lost government.

They could probably lower costs, but would it be enough or worth it?

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
nothing crazy just hoses.but i made the rubber and coated the rubber on the fabric for the hoses. my boss said thare was somebody thare to wacth them make the hose thow i dont know if thay were from nasa or just somebody thay hired.i thought it was weird becouse the shutle was being retired soon?

new topics

top topics

join