It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We're the best when it comes to hockey!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Suck it up Canada!

Even though our great nation is 3 times smaller population wise we're the only nation ever to have won the olympics and the world championship in the same year.
We're almost always up there in the finals.

So until you accomplish the same feat you'll always remain number two.

GO SWEDEN!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I admit Sweden has had good players over the years and some good teams as well. But in all seriousness when you consider all the great players in history most of them have been Canadian. To say you are the best just because of the one feat of Olympics and WC in the same year doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

I will say you are one of the top 6 hockey countries. My rankings are as follows (based on overall history):

1. Canada
2. Russia
3. Sweden
4. Finland
5. USA
6. Czech Republic

Canada has a chance to win both the WC and Olympic gold this year? Will we be the best again if it happens?

And what is happening to the Sedins this year? Did David Copperfield make them disappear for the playoffs? Just wondering.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
If Canada wins both the olympics and the world championship I'd say you're the best yes. Right now I'm just using that as an excuse to brag

I'm honestly not that interested in hockey any longer, used to play when I was younger though but now I'm just rooting for my country.

I'll be rooting for Finland if it goes bad for Sweden(half-finn) so I'm not taking it all that serious, but surprisingly they seem to be losing to Denmark right now..

Checking the stats now.. the US seems to have more medals than Finland so switch them to fourth place, seems about right.

Or maybe not..

en.wikipedia.org...

We'll see

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Denmark beating first Finland and now the U.S... wow..

Canada will most likely win tonight, and tomorrow we'll face France after winning against Norway yesterday.

Bring it France!

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I cannot get interested in the World Championships because my favourite team Montreal Canadiens are still battling for the Stanley Cup. Once they are out then I will focus on Canada and the Worlds.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Denmark is surprising everyone, but Russia will be tough to beat. They've almost got their full Olympic roster there, thanks to the Habs.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte
Denmark is surprising everyone, but Russia will be tough to beat. They've almost got their full Olympic roster there, thanks to the Habs.

Like I said, I'm not really that into hockey, knowing the rosters and stuff like that(but of course I know about the Sedin brothers), but yeah. Denmark and Norway seem to be stepping their game up big time.

I just turned the TV on, checked the TV guide and saw we're playing Canada right now and thought.. "I don't even wanna see this, we've been struggling with lesser teams.." To my surprise we were leading, 2-0 and in a few minutes 3-0.. ABBA never sounded so sweet!
I take it Canada don't have their top players playing either?

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLaughingGod

Canada only had one player from their Olympic team. Russia had 14, mainly because the Habs eliminated Washington and Pittsburgh early so their Russian players could make it there.

I'm not making excuses, mind you. As Canadians we still want to win and try hard to win. But it would have been an upset if they beat Russia. Still, this whole tournament has been disappointing for Canada. The rest of world is getting better, but we'll get 'em next time.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Tough luck for the Swedes. Eight seconds left to hang on for the win and they can't do it.

Should never decide a game like this with a shootout though. It's not right. I will never like it.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Yeah.. we can't deal with shootouts, we always lose them..

Anyway, surprising to see Czech beat Russia, really impressive.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLaughingGod

Yep, the old man Jagr did it one last time. Good to see. I'm happy that Russia did not win because I do not like Ovechkin's attitude, to be honest.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 02:28 AM
link   
All I got to say is
GO NJ Devils

sorry but been a fan since I was yah high

don't care if they loose glad that they win

as long as none of them show up on dancing with the stars.

If they do then oh well the team is still there

top topics

join