It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Methane Gas Bubble Triggered Deadly Oil Rig Explosion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Methane Gas Bubble Triggered Deadly Oil Rig Explosion

www.foxnews.com

The deadly blowout of an oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico was triggered by a bubble of methane gas that escaped from the well and shot up the drill column, expanding quickly as it burst through several seals and barriers before exploding, according to interviews with rig workers conducted during BP's internal investigation.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
"As the bubble rose up the drill column from the high-pressure environs of the deep to the less pressurized shallows, it intensified and grew, breaking through various safety barriers." ( from the story )

So They expect us to believe that methane bubbles can defeat a blow out preventer? Guys I am not buying that. I do realize that the bubbles expand as they rise through the water column. The BOP has 3 Valves and they were closed. The Story Claims, "A chemical reaction caused by the setting cement created heat and a gas bubble which destroyed the seal." This have never happen before and they have many well that are in water at that depth and some deeper.

"Up on the rig, the first thing workers noticed was the sea water in the drill column suddenly shooting back at them, rocketing 240 feet in the air. Then, gas surfaced. Then oil."

So how long was the water shooting out? After all it was coming from a mile+ right. I would guess a Minute maybe less. Did they evacuate the drill floor? They would have had some time.

"There, at the wellhead of exploratory wells, sits the massive steel contraption known as a blowout preventer. It can snuff a blowout by squeezing rubber seals tightly around the pipes with up to 1 million pounds of force. If the seals fail, the blowout preventer deploys a last line of defense: a set of rams that can slice right through the pipes and cap the blowout.

Deepwater Horizon was also equipped with an automated backup system called a Deadman. It should have activated the blowout preventer even if workers could not.

Based on the interviews with rig workers, none of those safeguards worked."

So the BOP Failed? All 3 valves? How? It has never happen before, and I be willing to bet it does not happen again.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I listened to an interview of a survivor from the blow-out.
He confirmed this.

And I don't believe it for one minute.

I wish I could take the time to type out the transcript of this interview.
In my opinion this man is employed by Halliburton, NOT, the oil company that own(ed) the rig.

Here's the link to the interview:

Mark Levine Interview with Survivor

peace

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Thanks for posting that interview. I heard it the other day and it Re-Afirmed in my mind that somthing is not right.

having worked offshore for 12 years I have a good idea how things out there work and my father-in-law is a Petrolium Engineer. He told me that the BOP failing is nearly impossible.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
i reckon that's why we have to wait for the investigation results...

from the sparse data i've heard... the platform did not have the blowout preventer at the wellhead... BP was exempted from needing to have that particular device in its redundant safety features, because the BP lobbyists were persuasive?

lax regulation enforcers? paid for, week long, seminars in Tahiti?
who knows

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I thought that was the cover-up for the Russian Submarine attack?

The rig was built by a south Korean company.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio

from the sparse data i've heard... the platform did not have the blowout preventer at the wellhead... BP was exempted from needing to have that particular device in its redundant safety features, because the BP lobbyists were persuasive?

Do you have a Source for this info? if you do please post it. The MSM has video of the twisted riser and the BOP.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

Oh I believe it... seen it happen too...
I worked the patch not the deep sea rigs ... would be worse on an off shore rig where everything is enclose....

And man when it happens you wouldn't believe how fast things go bad

[edit on 8-5-2010 by DaddyBare]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by SWCCFAN

Originally posted by St Udio

Do you have a Source for this info? if you do please post it. The MSM has video of the twisted riser and the BOP.

I do not mean this sarcastically...but could you post a source for that? I haven't seen it yet, and would be interested in laying my eyes on it as well. While i am not in the biz, i know folks who are (a couple who are kind of famous within the oil industry circles). i would like to get their take.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
They had one. well two actually...BOP's that is
both a shear and ram...

The BOP is part of the valve assembly, cant have one without the other... cant drill a well without the Christmas tree... now like I said I'm a landlubber but the ones they make for deep sea rigs are pre assembled are the first thing that gets set in place... You just cant drill without...

[edit on 8-5-2010 by DaddyBare]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I could not find the Video again I did find a Photo just above the BOP.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

Thanks for posting that interview. I heard it the other day and it Re-Afirmed in my mind that somthing is not right.

You heard it? That's great.
Now tell me this guy is really a oil rig worker!
NO WAY!

Thanks for the thread!

Maybe I'll work on typing out the interview tomorrow if I can find a spare ten hours, lol!

peace

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I don't know alot about Meth. gas..but my son works for a comapny that goes to landfills all over the USA. They drill down until they hit meth. gas, then they fill with a pipe and cap it. They sell the meth. gas, is my understanding. My son told me there are times when he has had to put on an oxygen mask, while capping the pipe. It only takes seconds for it to kill you..anyway he's due soon to go to Lake Okeechobee Fla. to a landfill there. He said the Meth is so bad there, that you have to wear an oxygen mask all day while working. He also told me that for it to blow..you need a spark.. What sparked in this case?

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by MissysWorld
I don't know alot about Meth. gas..but my son works for a comapny that goes to landfills all over the USA. They drill down until they hit meth. gas, then they fill with a pipe and cap it. They sell the meth. gas, is my understanding. My son told me there are times when he has had to put on an oxygen mask, while capping the pipe. It only takes seconds for it to kill you..anyway he's due soon to go to Lake Okeechobee Fla. to a landfill there. He said the Meth is so bad there, that you have to wear an oxygen mask all day while working. He also told me that for it to blow..you need a spark.. What sparked in this case?

During a blowout, anything can spark. Rocks, metal, high pressure....perfect recipe for a spark.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
An explosion like this with methane gas on an oil rig is generally not what people think of. It's usually a pressure event, and not a thermal event. At depths such as this rig was working, a mile plus down, gas is extremely compressed. And as it rises the volume increases as the pressure drops, causing a burst or a rupture.

And also, methane by itself will not thermally combust and explode. It needs oxygen to thermally combust, and explode as people in this thread are hypothesizing happened. The highest concentration of methane in air that'll combust is 15-17%.

en.wikipedia.org...

I have a feeling the air at a mile plus down in the Gulf of Mexico isn't very oxygen rich.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

I find it hard to believe that all the safetys failed. It had to be a really crapy cement job by Haliburton. And they said it pushed the water up 10,000+ Feet up the Pipe and Riser. Just at 10,000' that's 4350 PSI or 296 Atmospheres. If they had 16lb oil based liquid mud it would be Around 8685 PSI. That must have been one hell of a kick!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I listened to this interview and would like to ask you this. First of all, I
worked in the oilfields for a long time on drilling rigs. Please tell me in all
your wisdom just why you know this guy doesn't work in the oilfield.
Please put one part on the board that shows why this "james"
person in the interview, "doesn't sound right" to you. I will wait for your
oilfield technology to explain in detail why this man is not an oil rig worker.
Don't give me a bunch of blah, blah, blah. Tell me in technical oilfield
terms what you know about it and why this person doesn't know what
he was talking about. I am waiting for some oilfield terms and facts.

new topics

top topics

join