It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Smart dust' aims to monitor everything: Hewlett-Packard

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   
In the 1990s, a researcher named Kris Pister dreamed up a wild future in which people would sprinkle the Earth with countless tiny sensors, no larger than grains of rice.

These “smart dust” particles, as he called them, would monitor everything, acting like electronic nerve endings for the planet. Fitted with computing power, sensing equipment, wireless radios and long battery life, the smart dust would make observations and relay mountains of real-time data about people, cities and the natural environment.

Now, a version of Pister’s smart dust fantasy is starting to become reality.

“It’s exciting. It’s been a long time coming,” said Pister, a computing professor at the University of California, Berkeley.

“I coined the phrase 14 years ago. So smart dust has taken a while, but it’s finally here.”

Maybe not exactly how he envisioned it. But there has been progress.

The latest news comes from the computer and printing company Hewlett-Packard, which recently announced it’s working on a project it calls the “Central Nervous System for the Earth.” In coming years, the company plans to deploy a trillion sensors all over the planet.

edition.cnn.com...
www.puppetgov.com...

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Oh that's just lovely!! What happens to the digested sensors?? xD

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   
I read somewhere a year or two ago the military is already
using something like this in Iraq.

[edit on 8-5-2010 by hawkiye]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   
The final nail in the coffin -- privacy is dead. At one point in time there was a notion of being able to "get away from it all" in some remote place if the need arose.

With this technology the whole world; including the remotest places could be monitored.

I am seriously having my first real case of nostalgia for "the good ol' days".
and I aint all that old.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
So this guy has a dream about an invasive, possibly dangerous technology and people are supposed to think it is a good thing?

This pisster guy is either incredibly naive or completely ignorant towards mankind's welfare.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Finally found his website:
robotics.eecs.berkeley.edu...

SMART DUST
Autonomous sensing and communication in a cubic millimeter

Supported by the DARPA/MTO MEMS program

Again supported by DARPA

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
In a few decades you wouldn't recognize society. I can already predict the use of nanotechnology, invisible to us, like a microscopic dust monitoring all our conversations and movements.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye
I read somewhere a year or two ago the military is already
using something like this in Iraq.

[edit on 8-5-2010 by hawkiye]

That would not surprise me, since it can also be combined with UAV applications and military standards are applied.

High-Reliability– Greater than 35,000 MTBF typical. All Mil-Series products are tested to Mil-STD-810, Mil-STD-704, and Mil-STD-461

FAA Certification Available– Many of our UAV qualified systems meet RTCA DO178B Level A and Level B, and DO160 certifications.

www.xbow.com...

[edit on 8-5-2010 by hawk123]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by hawk123

Finally found his website:
robotics.eecs.berkeley.edu...

SMART DUST
Autonomous sensing and communication in a cubic millimeter

Supported by the DARPA/MTO MEMS program

Again supported by DARPA

If Darpa is doing it, it is designed to control, manipulate, maim and kill.

If we are hearing about it in the news/articles, it is already being done. For example, the medical industry is using it to deliver drugs.

They're talking about using smart dust, attached to oil eating bacteria, to clean up the oil spill. We will see the scary, catastrophic results of smart dust out of control in the VERY near future.

[edit on 8-5-2010 by 911stinks]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by wayno
The final nail in the coffin -- privacy is dead. At one point in time there was a notion of being able to "get away from it all" in some remote place if the need arose.

With this technology the whole world; including the remotest places could be monitored.

I am seriously having my first real case of nostalgia for "the good ol' days".
and I aint all that old.

our privacy is dead, and we carry on signing our lives away to our dictator ship goverments.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
sounds like its time for us all to learn a bit of electronics....

google "rf jammer schematics"

buy a hammer to smash any you find

wrap your cell phone in aluminium foil while not it use to avoid your movements being tracked (of course you will 'pop up' on screen when you use it)

after all, why should they have all the fun?

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by hawk123

I only have one word for this.

SKYNET.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by felonius

Maybe it was SmartDust that created the stock market crash this week.

I would guess HAARP and the multitude of connected facilities exist to control these armies of microscopic robots.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Another connection of this project shows that even inside your home you are not safe anymore.

Pentagon’s Cyborg Insects All Grown Up.

www.wired.com...

DARPA Hybrid Insect MEMS (HI-MEMS)

www.darpa.mil...

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
ENABLING BATTLESPACE PERSISTENT SURVEILLANCE:
THE FORM, FUNCTION, AND FUTURE OF SMART DUST

In the future world of 2025, Smart Dust could fulfill United States’ persistent surveillance
needs despite current ethical and social concerns.

See page 2
www.au.af.mil...

It seems that the military changed the name of "Smart Dust" to:
Mobile Intelligent Sensors (MIS)

The Mobile Intelligent Sensors (MIS) program (formerly Smart Dust Sensor Networks Applied to Urban Area Operations and Exploiting Vibrations to Monitor Activities in Building) and the Remote Detection
of Suspicious Vehicles (RDSV) program are developing advanced sensor, exploitation, networking, and battle management capabilities for joint dismounted forces.

www.dtic.mil...

[edit on 8-5-2010 by hawk123]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Very important topic

So now HP is trying to build the "nerve endings".

While NASA is trying to build the global nervous system:
-NASA’s “Planetary Skin” ‘global nervous system’.

The policies and actions that will help move the world to a low-carbon economy and address the large-scale risks associated with climate change are profound and far-reaching. They require many different individuals and groups to take between them a vast array of small and large decisions, every day. Today, those decisions are made with only partial knowledge of the possible options, benefits, costs, and risks. Decision-makers are, in essence, flying blind. Whether acting globally or locally, they lack a trusted decision information infrastructure for mitigation of, and adaptation to, climate change.

This lack implies that we need a new way to make collaboration possible. In many ways the solution lies literally at our fingertips. The skin that covers our bodies provides information from ‘sensors’ distributed throughout the body. Nerve endings in the skin gather sensory information and transmit it through the central nervous system for processing. The body responds with appropriate remedial action to regulate and adapt to change.

And IBM is trying to build the "Global Brain" to hook all of the nerve endings into:
DARPA & IBM building a “global brain” “cognitive computer” for “monitoring people”

While Google is trying to build "the mind of god" that "will understand everything in the world":
Google’s A.I. quest to become God-On-Earth.

All of which is being coordinated by DARPA.mil:

Google Video Link

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I Youtubed the official "CeNSE" video from the HP website:

www.hpl.hp.com...

The astronomer Carl Sagan once asked, “Who speaks for Earth?” Soon, the Earth may speak for itself.
While Hartwell’s accelerometer gives CeNSE its “feel,” the system’s “taste and smell” are just around the corner. Researchers in the group are using nanomaterials to boost a standard chemical and biological detection technology (Raman spectroscopy) to 100 million times its usual sensitivity rates. As sensitivity rises, sensor size can shrink. That could lead to detectors small enough to clip onto a mobile telephone. With a wave over produce, the sensor might warn consumers of salmonella on spinach leaves or pesticides present in “organic” produce, Hartwell says.

“How do you capture and use all that data?” asks Hartwell. At a typical data rate, one million sensors running 24 hours a day would require 50 hard disks running in parallel to capture the 20 petabytes of data created in just six months. “The amount of data we’re talking about here is ferocious,” says Williams.

Then it has to be crunched to extract meaningful information. No matter how many gigabytes of data a smart highway might deliver, for example, “you’re only interested in one bit when you walk out that door,” says Hartwell. “Just one bit: Which interstate highway will take you home fastest? If it saves you 20 minutes on your commute, that one bit is worth a lot,” he points out.

HP is approaching sensing networks not just as sensing or moving data or crunching it, but from a holistic perspective, says Hartwell. “We have the networking expertise in our ProCurve division, we have consulting and integration through our Enterprise Services division (formerly EDS),” not to mention business intelligence, storage and data center technologies. Williams agrees: “We’re the only company approaching this from soup to nuts.”

Listening to Earth

CeNSE’s first applications will make living on the planet safer and more convenient. But as the network grows, the breadth and detail of information it gathers could be critical to Earth’s survival, says Hartwell.

“If we’re going to save the planet, we’ve got to monitor it,” says Hartwell. “We have to understand how we’re impacting the planet,” he says, pointing out that we don’t understand how wind farms may affect rainfall or how a cooling sea changes wind currents. Hartwell imagines people volunteering their sensors to feed data to climate change models, just as unused compute cycles are unfolding proteins and unraveling genomes today.

On an individual level, sensing could help people make everyday lifestyle changes: “We have to use this capability to figure out how to change the way we do things: You can tell the kids to turn off the lights, but it’s going to be a lot more effective if the lights turn themselves off.”

I don't understand why this topic never makes front page when things like bigfoot do.

[edit on 9-5-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
This article is full of information, and I hope makes a worthy addition to this thread.

What is Precision Farming?

“Precision farming,” also known as site-specific management, describes a bundle of new information technologies applied to the management of large-scale, commercial agriculture. Precision farming technologies include, for example: personal computers, satellite-positioning systems, geographic information systems, automated machine guidance, remote sensing devices and telecommunications.

‘Smart Fields’ Monitored by Wireless Nanosensors and the USA’s Plans for a ‘Smart Field System’

Leading the choir of enthusiasm for “smart fields” laced with wireless nanosensors is the US Department of Agriculture (USDA). In what they originally dubbed “Little Brother Technology,” the agency identifies agricultural sensor development as one of their most important research priorities. The USDA is working to promote and develop a total “Smart Field System” that automatically detects, locates, reports and applies water, fertilisers and pesticides - going beyond sensing to automatic application.

‘Smart Dust’: Companies Who Manufacture It, Dimensions and Current Prices ·

Currently available from: Crossbow Technologies, Dust, Inc., Ember and Millennial Net.

· Coming soon: Motorola, Intel and Philips.

· Current Size: Crossbow’s motes are currently the size of a bottle-top. According to the CEO of Crossbow, Mike Horton, the size is expected to shrink to the size of an aspirin tablet – even a grain of rice – over the next few years.

· Current Prices: Crossbow Motes (the entire smart dust sensor - processor, radio, battery, and sensor) range from $40 to $150 depending on quantity ordered. Crossbow expects prices to fall below $10 in near future.

www.azonano.com...

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

There's a most chilling thought in that second video; Creating machines that have te ability to make life or death decisions on their own. That seems to suggest that a global mindnet, filled with trillions of sensors covering the planet (the first video re. IBM), would also include machines that police the populaces, which could also be programmed to take acton against a populace based on their programmed rulesets. What the hell kind of earth is this going to become when their science fiction nightmare beomes reality.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawk123
Another connection of this project shows that even inside your home you are not safe anymore.

Pentagon’s Cyborg Insects All Grown Up.

www.wired.com...

DARPA Hybrid Insect MEMS (HI-MEMS)

www.darpa.mil...

Thanks for posting this. I did read about the smart bugs a few years ago and for the past two years when I am outside I talk to the butterflies, dragonflies, big bumble bees and lizards.

I saw a bug a few weeks ago that did not look normal and almost looked man made. I went to get a jar to collect it and when I got back to the area it was gone.

The University of Ga. is not that far from me as the crow flies. We have several airports in our small area and commerical and private flights to and from the Atlanta and Athens area are many everyday.

Yes, Big Bully Brother is here.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join