It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

athiests! why christianity?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by AABacon

well I think the reason I got it wrong in the first place was because its been a little over 7 years since I picked up my bible... in the end sirnex provoked me to grab it again. It was an entertaining discussion but it was tiresome as well... Just to read up again took me like 5 hours. Like the movie avatar said it real nicely... "It is hard to fill a cup wich is already full" But then again... who am I to try and fill someone else's cup.

I do have one remaining question for sirnex as I get the impression you've done your research. Could you and would you mind to tell me what you believe the bible teaches about HOW Jesus died?

@Darkice19: You know I can actually relate to that... I've left my way of life and chose to leave my faith for what it is for a while. In that time people came by to encourage me to come back. However I found that to be very invasive. But the problem with christianity is the following. Mathew 24:14. This verse is the driving force behind the door to door preaching most of us know. christians received a commandment to bring that verse to fruition before god's foretold time will arive. That makes me respect them. Dont you think they know how annoying it is to be woken up on your free saturday to just to listen to a couple of people throwing bible verses? but still they persevere. this is the flipside to the coin

[edit on 10-5-2010 by faceoff85]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by AABacon

Stating that Buddhist's do not believe in anything, as in nothing, is simply wrong and misinformed. And to compare Taoism and Buddhism as they are the same, is ridiculous. Please study and read more about the subjects you wish to place judgment upon, as I would think your savior, Jesus, would expect you to do so, as a faithful follower.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
people around here have a real tendency to pick on other people who show a poor choice of words.... kinda pathetic.. I consider myself a layman compared to most knowledgeable people in my vicinity but still I've got no problem at all to understand what people mean whenever they chose their words poorly..
Someone saying the islam is never bashed doens't litterally mean that he believes the Islam has NEVER been bashed. and its kinda dumb to assume such a person truly believes that and consequently bashing that person PERSONALLY for his statement. well I guess there always are people who just love a catfight. It would be nice if we all could just be a tiny bit more civilised. I realise this is the net and nobody can see our faces but still... guess this is just the grand world in miniature... politics must look like this

but I hate politics....what the h*** am I still doing here

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by faceoff85
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

uhmm... actually chrisianity isn't the largest faith out there.... I thought the islam was the largest religion. PICK ON THEM, NOT US!!! I hate being picked on... makes me wanna curl up in a corner and cry...

um... just checked wikipedia (I know its supossed to be taken with a grain of salt) but they say christianity actually is the largest group so yeah... guess people can just go ahead and pick on us then

[edit on 8-5-2010 by faceoff85]

Umm, the Islamic are getting bombed right now as we speak. How much more picking on do you want?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   

so I assumed you were Christian.

This illustrates a good deal of the problem, sirnex. You've slipped into the habit of making fact claims without evidence.

Hmm, agnosticism isn't a religion, ...

It is, however, my religion. So your ad hominem crap

it's more of a cop out of indecisive people who have trouble with looking at evidences and coming to a conclusion. Possibly as mentally stagnant as a religious group.

stops here.

You can't keep your rant straight even for a paragraph. Agnosticism beings as a nonreligion, and ends up as a religious group. You are visibly making up your "facts" as you spew.

You complain that we don't look at evidence. What evidence? You haven't presented any. You get called on to back up any of your fairy tale, and you attack the person, not the issue.

There is no basis to believe the universe works by magical beings other than ignorance of natural forces and effects.

How nice. But you have been asked repeatedly to back up your contention that "ignorance of natural forces and effects" accounts for religion. An intervening poster has questioned that your "ignorance of yadda yadda" has anything to do specifically with the Christian religion, the topic of this thread.

As previously noted, repeating your claims will not be confused with your backing them up.

In like, what evidence in favor of religion have you shown beyond mere bitching about one side of two sides to a whole story?

Present some evidence, sirnex. Nobody's buying fertilizer today.

Titen-Sxull

I never stated that unknown aspects of nature were THE ONLY things that influenced the creations and characteristics of deities and gods.

Great. Now that we have that straightened out, please back up the fact claim which you did make.

Your little just-so stories refer to supernatural entities already conceived. You need to demonstrate that Zeus arose to "explain" lightning, not that once Zeus was believed in, lightning came to be a symbol of his mighty wrath.

Perhaps it would be helpful to begin with some explanation of how imagining that Zeus hurls them "explains" thunderbolts.

Maybe an easier case will get us started. In the same pantheon, Artemis shoots arrows. What does that "explain" about arrows? How they are made? I think the people telling the story already knew that. Their potential as both a hunting tool and as a weapon of war? Hmm, I think the storytellers already understood that, too.

Shooting arrows sure does make Artemis one tough chick, though. So, I am thinking that that is why Artemis shoots them, not to explain arrows.

Your facile generalization,

My point was that God is usually synonymous with the big question we are lacking answers to.

overlooks that gods and goddesses have been associated with everything. Big things of nature (lightning, earthquakes, ...), human domestication of natural things (fire, farm animals, crops, ...), human inventions (arrows, boats, ...), and smaller environmental features, too, all the way down to insects. Those Egyptians sure did love their beetles.

You name it, and there was a god or goddess who used it, looked after it, manifested as it, kept some around as pets or as decoration, ...

So, your point as you state it fails. God is "usually synonymous" with all questions, big and small. Earthquakes, or finding a parking spot near the door.

It would be convenient for your religion if everybody else's religion was a failed attempt at inventing science. But, it might be difficult for you to show that it is true.

Of course, you could rehabilitate all of your woo by the simple expedient of attaching "It is my personal belief that..."

Which is, after all, all that it is, a speculation that fits in nicely with your other personal opinions about how the world works. Nothing that anybody else misstakes for an established fact.

Just as, for example, nobody outside your religion mistakes your religious beliefs as being better founded than anyone else's religious beliefs.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by eight bits]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Gday,

Originally posted by Fromabove
Since my post is complete fantasy, could you please point me to your thread that debunks Islam and discredits the Quran, and also how it pokes a little fun at Muhammed ? I can't seem to find it.

Can't seem to find it?
But you didn't even LOOK !

A quick search for keywords "Islam", "Koran" and "Mohamed" shows DOZENS and DOZENS of critical posts.

Including one entitled "Koran a fake."

It never even ocurred to you to look, did it?
www.abovetopsecret.com...
You were happy to claim that we will "NEVER see criticism of Islam", when there is a VAST body of such criticisms, including many on THIS site, even one claiming the Koran is a fake - but you "could not seem to find it".

K.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by Kapyong]

[edit on 10-5-2010 by Kapyong]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by NegativeBeef

I am well aware how the MSM treats the Islam and also how it treats christianity... The final propecy to be fullfilled according to the bible is the taking out of religions... So its in my interest to keep up to date...
but I'd rather have you come out and tell me what the newest "scandal" is... I'm not convinced one or the other religion is bashed or picked on more. and frankly I dont care. in the west I believe its mostly been christianity (except when you start studying history offcourse) but islam critisicm is definetly on the rise... I've got no idea whatsoever about how the continent of russia and china treat these religions so I cant form an opinion.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by the illuminator

why do athiest's seem to always try and disproof christianity

Because people hate the truth. And because telling an Atheist to find God,
is like telling a thief to go find a cop.
He's just not gonna do it. People just don't want to obey. Some people wouldn't want to believe it, if God
smacked all the bile out of 'em.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by randyvs]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Jesus asked Saul why he kicked against the pricks.........I think it was because it was weighing on his heart. The best way to get away from something you fear is to attack it.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

well I can certainly imagine people who believe they dont need to answer to ANYONE but themselves would feel a bit burdened and threatened when faced with the possibility of having to take responsibility for their actions... funny thing is though.... if god does exist, they'll be forced to anyways... not really a way to get around that...

I'll take my chances and believe there was someone really smart who made us... I'm having a hard time believing this whole big bang theory. how big are the odds that all that mumbojumbo evolutionist believe, is all caused by chance? I cant even seem to win the lottery... and another thing.... all im hearing is that we're devolving instead of evolving. try explaning that with evolutionism. I could certainly explain that using a bible. another funny subject im interested in.. supossedly people back in the day (before the great flood) were alot more "gifted" then us humans nowadays.... I wonder if that is in any way linked with us possibly devolving

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by faceoff85

well I can certainly imagine people who believe they dont need to answer to ANYONE but themselves would feel a bit burdened and threatened when faced with the possibility of having to take responsibility for their actions... funny thing is though.... if god does exist, they'll be forced to anyways... not really a way to get around that...

"There are two things I know of, that go to infinity. The universe and the
stupidity of man.
I'm not completely sure about the universe".

Albert Einstien

I'll take my chances and believe there was someone really smart who made us... I'm having a hard time believing this whole big bang theory. how big are the odds that all that mumbojumbo evolutionist believe, is all caused by chance? I cant even seem to win the lottery... and another thing.... all im hearing is that we're devolving instead of evolving. try explaning that with evolutionism. I could certainly explain that using a bible.

The only ones taking a chance are the Atheists. It seems you might be smart enough to build your house on a rock instead of the sand.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

I truly hope you're right and im wrong. but I dont think/believe so....

uhmm..
confused here.... on closer inspection you seem to share my opinion...

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   

I have the answer!!

It is because Jesus taught all the most loving things.

The atheists are trying to disprove it, but who wants to lose all the loving things.

Guess what, if an atheist has one loving thing, he has just proved Jesus is real.

How amazing - goodbye, atheists.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Look around you . The universe has it's laws.
Everything that is designed has a Designer.
That is probly law one.

If you have that much figured out and are willing to accept their is a person responsible for all that is in existence. You are not confused.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

why do athiest's seem to always try and disproof christianity

Because people hate the truth. And because telling an Atheist to find God,
is like telling a thief to go find a cop.
He's just not gonna do it. People just don't want to obey. Some people wouldn't want to believe it, if God
smacked all the bile out of 'em.

If people hated the truth, they would be hating science, not religion, much less a specific religion, which is about as truthful as all of the others.

Originally posted by randyvs

Look around you . The universe has it's laws.
Everything that is designed has a Designer.
That is probly law one.
So who designed the designer then?

[edit on 10-5-2010 by technical difficulties]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:58 AM
link   

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by technical difficulties

I think you need to diferentiate between truth.... there is human born truth like science and the knowledge that when you see a house on a mountain you are sure its built by someone, and it wasn't just some freak weatherphenomenon accidentally putting that house together (mind you this is what evolutionists do IMO) And you've got universal truth. this is what the bible teaches (again before bashing the living daylight out of me keep in mind that this is my opinion as well as most believers, for that reason its good to know what type of truth is being talked about). I dont think there are still people who dont believe in the paranormal presence on our planet... How can that be explained without using a bible? evolutionism doens't offer an explanation for anything in the paranormal realm does it?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by faceoff85
reply to post by technical difficulties

I think you need to diferentiate between truth.... there is human born truth like science and the knowledge that when you see a house on a mountain you are sure its built by someone, and it wasn't just some freak weatherphenomenon accidentally putting that house together (mind you this is what evolutionists do IMO) And you've got universal truth. this is what the bible teaches (again before bashing the living daylight out of me keep in mind that this is my opinion as well as most believers, for that reason its good to know what type of truth is being talked about). I dont think there are still people who dont believe in the paranormal presence on our planet... How can that be explained without using a bible? evolutionism doens't offer an explanation for anything in the paranormal realm does it?

Evolutionists can't even explain the things they think they know. like....
Give me one example of a genetic mutation or even an evolutionary process
which can be shown to increase the information in the genome?

How can they explain something they know nothing about?

Oh that's right the paranormal dosn't exist either.
Funny how if you eliminate God.
They find themselves eliminating a lot more as time goes on.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by LifeIsEnergy
reply to post by AABacon

Stating that Buddhist's do not believe in anything, as in nothing, is simply wrong

I never stated that, I stated that they don't believe in nothing as nothing, which is something, but what is that something? Who is it that ask the question?

and misinformed. And to compare Taoism and Buddhism as they are the same, is ridiculous.

Taoism is a philosophy, Buddha's are human beings!

Please study and read more about the subjects you wish to place judgment upon, as I would think your savior, Jesus, would expect you to do so, as a faithful follower.

I am not a Christian, although I admire both Buddha and Christ. How can we be saved when we are only an illusion. There is only one thing, that is I.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join