It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

athiests! why christianity?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
im just saying like someone said earlier in thread. you dont see any disproving any other religion. and it seems lately that all the evolution no God threads have been started by athiests! and leaving us to defend!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove

Could I just interject here ? Christians, when discussing scriptures with atheists remember that scripture is spiritually discerned and so they do not understand it. However, what they like to do is to wear you down and weary you with endless disputations to keep you running on the treadmill until you are tired out.

How about keeping it on point as the OP started by asking atheists why they only prefer attacking Christianity and not Islam or some other religion.

Atheists, feel free to point me to your anti Islam threads anytime so I can read them. Thanks.

That is a truth. They do not understand. Why continue to argue about it? They will see soon enough. It's hard to impart wisdom to the unwise. I guess they can ask God themselves someday. I am sure he can get the point across.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Conclusion
That is a truth. They do not understand. Why continue to argue about it? They will see soon enough. It's hard to impart wisdom to the unwise. I guess they can ask God themselves someday. I am sure he can get the point across.

Very well put! I am glad that I am not alone in my beliefs on these forums!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by moonleaf

im with ya lol

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Maybe because christians have killed off more atheists/pagans than any other religion. Long time ago, but I have a long memory and I don't recall any apologies from the church for their sponsorship of these atrocities.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Christians! Why atheists? Oh wait... you guys have picked and continue to pick on anyone that doesnt follow your doctrine...

I'm sorry, my bad... I was sure I had something tho...

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Because it is the one religion that is constantly thrust in my face.

I only have one guideline in spirituality:

Never trust anyone who tells me they KNOW the one true path to salvation/enlightenment/heaven etc etc etc.

All religions are guilty of it (providing you class Daoism as a philosophy rather than a religion).

Christians are just generally more vocal on this board. Elsewhere other religions are held up to the harsh light of reality.

[edit on 8-5-2010 by Noncompatible]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by slane69

God created imperfect beings because only he is perfect, anything perfect by definition would also be God

This is actually the best answer I've ever heard for that question, it kinda does make sense. But still, the idea that a perfect God is even capable of creating things that constantly screw up is a bit odd. Its even more odd that he makes them imperfect and blames them when they live up to that description.

He doesn't want slaves

Than what is with all the Biblical personification of God as a King and us having to bow down or else burn? Basically the Bible says believe on blind faith or else you burn forever. They are constantly depicting God as s King on a throne.

Hell isn't His rejection of us, it is our rejection of Him

Does this include the rejection of the nonsensical religion set up to understand Him? Because honestly there are so many flaws and holes in Christianity that there is no reason to believe, let alone the fact that there is no evidence of God's existence. Any God who would damn you to an eternal Hell AND not offer any direct evidence of His existence is not merciful or good by any stretch of the imagination.

enter into His glory at death.

This doesn't excuse the act of child killing. Would you let a child murderer off the hook if they claimed the kid they killed went straight to Heaven? And this isn't a flawed human, its a deity, a deity who commands that Thou Shalt Not Kill, seems like he has a lot of trouble in the old testament sticking to his own commandments.

God explicitly told them not to touch.

His fault for planting it there and being absent during their temptation. He knew the paradise he set up for them was frail and yet he did nothing to impede the serpent or keep the tree away from the Garden. The Eden story when taken literally makes no sense whatsoever.

Salvation required ritual sacrifice

Another bizarre and genuinely creepy element to the Bible, especially that part where God outlines what parts of the animal he wants carved off and where he wants the blood sprinkled.

The people of Egypt were complicit with Pharaoh and his actions towards the Israelites.

But their children could not have been and should not have been held accountable. Remember in The Dark Knight when Two Face tries to kill Gordon's son to get revenge on Gordon? Seems a similar situation only this time its GENOCIDE committed by a supposedly HOLY deity.

We don't have the wisdom of the Creator

Exactly and our religions reflect this. They are full of errors and things that make no sense. Our pathetic myths cannot grasp the truth of the Cosmos and if there is a God out there I doubt he/she/it is anything like our weak concepts and flawed perceptions.

Anyway thanks for your time.

[edit on 8-5-2010 by Titen-Sxull]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni
Christians! Why atheists? Oh wait... you guys have picked and continue to pick on anyone that doesnt follow your doctrine...

I'm sorry, my bad... I was sure I had something tho...

wait...we pick on athiests?

im sorry but i never have. in my experience its always been me thats on the defensive when it comes to creation and if there is a God not the other way round?

you can choose to look the other way.

why not say ok their is no God..right whats next in mylife in stead of

right there is no God now lets try and destroy other peoples beliefs

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Anyway thanks for your time.

No prob, great questions!

Does that count as two lines?

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by slane69

i dont understand all this 2nd line thing. can someone explain?

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   

why pick on the christians?

The prince of this world hates Christians and his forces are arrayed against us. His world, his ideas, his leadership, he is calling the shots, within the boundaries God has established for him, until the Lord returns.

It will get alot worse before it gets better. There will come a day when we will wish for the good ole' days, when unbelievers just "picked on" Christians.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
The answer is easy, if you live in a country where most people is Christian, why pick hinduism?

If you live in a country where most people is Budist, why pick islam?

Atheist usually pick the religions with more followers in their regions, countries.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   
The real reason is that true Christians are too nice, and being nice is seen as a weakness in this unforgiving world we live in.

Another reason is that fake christians like to argue for the sake of arguing and oddly enough, so do most atheist that I've met.

Atheism is funny. They base their beliefs off of science which is just another religion. Don't believe me? Well, put down the science book and check out a history book.

The two most common things Atheist and Christians have in common is that they both claim to know the truth, and the second is that neither of them know the truth.

I don't label myself a Christian, but I do have faith that Jesus Christ was the son of God. I also believe that Mohommad was a great teacher who was in every right justified in leading by the sword.

When ever this topic comes up in debates, it is usually the Atheist who has a complete disregard for the religious' beliefs and usually ends up picking apart the Bible, even though the Bible states that it is a living bible and it can't be defined by single passages.

I really get tired of hearing it from both sides.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Christians annoy me.

Not the fact that they exist annoys me.

It's that they go waaay out of their way to annoy me:

There's a Christian idiot who lives up the hill from me with 10 foot tall crosses he lights up every night.

Christians come to my door to tell me I'm a sinner and try to convert me to their sect.

They stop me in the street, in stores, and every bloody place else.

They completely consume December and March/April.

Every Sunday, they tie up traffic on my road pretty much most of the day.

They stick their symbols and noses everywhere they don't belong.

They twist every social event through their sick, screwed prism.

If you're a Christian, you have no idea how annoying you are.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
One who does not care to believe in God due to science has become an atheist, but the atheist who does not care to believe in science has become a nihilist.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by sirnex
reply to post by faceoff85

It's like your demanding God and Jesus to both go back on their word because you don't agree with the few bad things God allows.

the text you chose for me to read about jesus saying he didn't end anything... try reading the sourrinding 10 to 15 verses and the come back to me... oh and I could throw that right back at you. Even though You dont understand yet since you dont get the idea that indeffinite means eternal as well as meaning as much as a certain amount of time, you still keep clinging to the idea god never ended the mosaic law and the 10 commandments.. my previous text shows quite a bit of verses where it is mentioned that the old ways are left behind and a new deal is formed. If you want to take the bible literal like yu have you should also use that same scruteny for the verses I gave you. they are also from the bible you know? I can also give you an explanation for the text you provided as soon as youve read the context

@ Illuminator: ATS Doesn't allow one-liners hence the 2nd line
[edit on 9-5-2010 by faceoff85]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Just a few words on behalf of my own religious views...

Atheism is lack of belief of any god, ...

No, that's agnosticism or atheism. Atheism is that, plus the belief that there is no god, while agnosticism professes no belief either way.

Q. Is there any god?

To answer yes implies theism. No implies atheism. I don't know implies agnosticism.

Q. Do you believe there is any god?

Yes to the first question implies yes to the second. The other answers to the first both imply no to the second.

Burden of proof attaches to whoever makes a fact claim. Atheists make a fact claim. The world awaits their first shred of proof.

... and that disagrees with all the religions.

Uh, no. Atheism itself is a religion (defined as a claim to know the truth about supernatural and metaphysical questions which have not been, or cannot be, answered by natural means).

Nor does atheism disagree with all other religions. Several religions lack essential gods (that is, either have no gods or leave the practitioners to do what they please about gods). Examples are some varieties of ancestor worship and shamanism, and among the world religions, Buddhism is often mentioned. There are also religions where there is a "cosmic ordering principle," but it is impersonal: Taoism and some forms of Hinduism.

Also, as is typical of religions generally, atheism comes in varieties. There are atheists who profess admiration for specific theist religions like Deism. The basis for that, presumably, is interfaith agreement that there is no supernatural personal agent who currently acts in space and time.

Mind if I ask where you found other definitions for it then?

Your question presupposes that words used in natural language "have" definitions. They don't. Words are used by speakers and writers of the language, subject to the constraint that users cannot disagree with their listeners and readers too much about meaning, nor about pronunciation in the case of speakers, nor spelling in the case of writers.

Dictionaries document how words have been used: what writers and speakers have meant by them, how speakers have pronounced them, and how writers have spelled them.

Good to know, but that's it. A dictionary is today's "opening bid" for the unending process of language evolution. There'll be a new dictionary in a few years, as there ought to be.

Agnosticism is the belief that we don't have the ability to firmly determine the existence or non-existence of deities.

No. Once upon a time, agnosticism meant "to be in complete agreement with the guy who made the word up in the 19th Century." He's been dead for a while, and no longer has a vote on what the word means.

Living agnostics agree that "we" haven't yet firmly determined yadda, yadda. Like all performance failures, that could be because we can't do it, or else because even though we can do it in principle, we haven't managed it yet in practice.

Agnostics can have any opinion they please on the question of why they are agnostic, and any opinion they like on abstract philosophical questions, like the ultimate limits of human epistemological performance.

Agnosticism is concerned with what you think about gods, not your two cents worth on the human condition.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Conclusion

All I'm saying is learn the difference between a commandment and a covenant. Your quoted verse is a commandment, Jesus even says so. Yet you want to put words in his mouth and make his affirmation of a commandment into a covenant.

The link in question was the one someone posted in regards to Jesus' views on the old testament and how he fully accepted the laws of the old testament as being in full effect, not broken.

You Christians need to stop cherry picking your Lords words for your own personal beliefs of how it should be.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by faceoff85

Go ahead, I've already read it many times. Besides, I would love to see how another fine example of Christianity will twist the words of someone they supposedly worship. Hey, but before you do just remember one thing... If God does exist he knows what your doing, never forget that.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join