It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

athiests! why christianity?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   
I just have one question.
why do athiest's seem to always try and disproof christianity?

what about all the other religions?

why pick on the christians?

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Because Christians are easy pray and is the largest belief that people can criticize. Not just Atheist but many criticize the Christian Religion.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

uhmm... actually chrisianity isn't the largest faith out there.... I thought the islam was the largest religion. PICK ON THEM, NOT US!!! I hate being picked on... makes me wanna curl up in a corner and cry...

um... just checked wikipedia (I know its supossed to be taken with a grain of salt) but they say christianity actually is the largest group so yeah... guess people can just go ahead and pick on us then

[edit on 8-5-2010 by faceoff85]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by faceoff85

doesnt make me feel like that! i love it bring it on haha

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by the illuminator

I'm going to offer an explanation wearing my "student of history" hat (I'm not an atheist).

I gather that the Christian faith is a very dominant social force in the United States, which is where a very large chunk of ATS membership are based.

It's only natural that people should react against what is dominant. I suspect that this is the reason why strongly-Catholic countries like France, Italy, Spain, also developed strongly secularist movements.

Any rebels against "authority" in, say, Iran, may well be seething against Islam. But in America, they're going to be seething against Christianity.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Nope Christianity is right now. Islam is reported growing more popular. We can never be so sure though. Muslims just as everyone of religious beliefs are made fun by Atheist.

link   

The reason why atheists pick on Christianity is because they feel the fear of falling into Christianity.

link   

Originally posted by faceoff85
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

uhmm... actually chrisianity isn't the largest faith out there....

Um actually lets do research and then decide.

Christianity 1.9 billion - 2.1 billion
Islam 1.3 billion - 1.57 billion
Buddhism 500 million - 1.5 billion
Hinduism 950 million - 1 billion

en.wikipedia.org...

So yes it's obviously the largest religion on Earth (Christianity).

All the sources are listed on the citations section of the wiki article. Research is your friend!

You corrected yourself- so ignore my reference to your post

[edit on 8-5-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   

I had this discussion with my mom the other day about something I picked up on the net... found it quite interesting. I'd like to invite you to read it and see what you think of it..

The idea I got out of this was that it could very well be the same source but a whole different aproach to what the bible teaches.. so yeah indulge me if you will...

www.welcomehome.org...

I know this is kind of off topic but hope nobody bashes me for it and otherwise please warn me and I wont do it again

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

hehehe... beat you to it!!!

2lines was it?

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   
I treat all religions equally, I find them all equally obsured. The reason why Christianity is bashed, is because most people on ATS come from predominantly Christian countries, like the US and Europe.

why does it bother you?, surely your religion can stand the attacks of us athiests? If Christianity is the TRUTH, then it doesn't matter what we say about Christianity does it?

[edit on 8-5-2010 by woodwardjnr]

+6 more 
posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Chritianity... true Chritianity teaches humility, forgiveness, the meek shall inherit the earth, turn the other cheek, celebrate when you are smitten or cursed in the name of the Lord.... for your treasure is in Heaven.

As such, we are easy prey for those that wish to denigrate and diminish us. On top of that, Christians won't cut your head off or blow up your family if you deny or diminish Christ or Christianity.

Also, Chritianity teaches that there are consequences for the decisions and lifestyles we choose while here on this earth... I think that offends so many so much. Generally, people are offended by an idea that makes them choose... most want to be told that what they are doing is OK, or it doesn't matter, life in the middle with no clear path is fine... Christianity doesn't do that.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
i hate wikapedea whats the point when anyone can edit it
???? LOL

im gna put my name as next inline for the throne of england

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Actually I heard you can rarely edit articles and if you can a mod has to approve the edit.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Xtians love to proselytise and tend to a certain public fundamentalism that begins with "The Bibles says..." Hence they set themselves up as targets. Jews and hindus don't seem to do so. Also in the west they are the single biggest religion.

[edit on 8-5-2010 by Tiger5]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by the illuminator
i hate wikapedea whats the point when anyone can edit it
???? LOL

im gna put my name as next inline for the throne of england

Ok try changing it to "Atheism is the largest religion".

Good luck.

BTW Wikipedia almost always lists OTHER SOURCES in the citations.

Despite what people say, it is by far one of the best generalized sources of information available on the Net.

The bibliography is superb in many cases.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlreadyGone
Chritianity... true Chritianity teaches humility, forgiveness, the meek shall inherit the earth, turn the other cheek, celebrate when you are smitten or cursed in the name of the Lord.... for your treasure is in Heaven.

I can wholeheartedly agree with this text however....... I feel that christianity as we know it in our history can hardly be described by the above text... its true that true christians would be prosecuted by the world but the bashing that christianity receives nowadays doesn't stem from your above description. instead it is a result of what has been sown. for one you can hardly call the pope "meek" or showing "humility". Arogance would be a better description. I dont recall Jesus receiving the attention the pope receives. In my opinion appointing a pope is pure unadultered blasphemy. also the recent media-hype about all the little kids being molested by so-called holy men can hardly be called good advertisement for god. "For you shall recognize god's true followers by the seeds they produce" meaning true followers will stand out because they will "spread the love" and whatnot

bytheway you mention the they'd rejoice in the name of the LORD. doesn't it strike you as odd that most christian faiths stopped using the name of the lord? How can christians even begin to think they can worship The true God without using his name? it would be like calling out for your child in a classroom by naming him CHILD. try it and see how many kids turn their head. doens't JHWH also acknowledge the existence of other deity's/gods?

Illuminator that post of yours just made me LOL

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   

I couldn't agree with you more. You are right on all points.... that is why I differentiate between christianity...organized Christianity...and True Christianity...Thee Church as described by Paul and John. Not some high and mighty denomination or organization with political influence or stain glass windows, but the little worn buildings in the back of a community, or in someone's home, or meeting in the opark. There lies the Church... deafeningly silent, always in the background helping others, being involved in challenges like hunger, poverty, storms. There lies the witness.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

ok So now comes my big revelation. The Faith I was brought up in was the faith of Jehovah's Witnesses. I'm not active anymore but I surely believe in what I learned... I felt the need to not come out with this but I think its apropriate in respect to your comment.
did you know The organisation of Jehovah's Witnesses were the VERY FIRST to arive with aid in the Haiti earthquake in february? tons of other examples but this one I just heard by accident couple of weeks ago... am not really connected anymore so because of that I'm anything but up to date... ...

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   

That doesn't bother me, I think you should believe what you feel comfortable with...that is your right. Wether I agree with it or not, that is my right. I will keep that to myself...

Oddly enough, there are many ideas that I agree with on the Jehovah's Witness... but the exiling of families and family members that don't agree or believe in their institutions is not one of them...I find it quite hurtful actually.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join