It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you want to live in Britain, don't wear burqah

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by RizeorDie
I'm an iraqi and in iraq they wear less burkas than they do in the west and iraq is a muslim country.

Perhaps this shows that the garment is being adopted mainly as a deliberate mark of distinction; muslims in a muslim country would not feel so much need to distinguish themselves.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   

I'm an iraqi and in iraq they wear less burkas than they do in the west and iraq is a muslim country.

There aren't that many burqas in the west. Save for some neighborhoods in England, France, Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver, Colorado and Michigan. Though, I will agree things ARE changing. I have seen more and more burqas since 9/11. Perhaps less Iraqis wear burqas because the people in Iraq want more or less the same things as people in the U.S. The same can't necessarily be said for extremists and hardliners. (See Iranian leadership & groups like the Taliban. Iraq is a muslim country, but it is not a theocracy and does not have laws dictating women be covered up (see Saudi Arabia).

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI

Perhaps this shows that the garment is being adopted mainly as a deliberate mark of distinction; muslims in a muslim country would not feel so much need to distinguish themselves.

actually our neighbours in saudi arabia are required and must by law wear burkas. i dont think its deliberate but every human has thier unique beliefs.

in my opinion wearing a head scarf is enough, and in the UK why would anyone want to look at a muslim women with a headscarf when there are plenty of women showing meat.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by i944002

i agree, but in iraq we have the taliban and other extremists coming into the country to kill those muslims who they disagree with.

those extremists have given themselves the right to declare anyone they disagree with as an infidel(kaffir) and once declared kaffir they believe that gives them the right to take that persons life.

there are cases of those so called perfect muslims where they rape the women of the families they kill before killing them, and then they say that GOD is happy.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Okay, here is my statement.

I am not a racist, but if men make women wear something that is oppression.

I am against oppression, therefore I am against things women wear because men made them.

Therefore, DO NOT WEAR THAT IN BRITAIN!

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE BRITISH GOVERNMENT?

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknows
I am not a racist, but

If I had a pound for every time I've heard that.... I would be able to retire.... and I'm not even near to retirement yet.

It's the most popular/common saying in these types of threads...

I'm not racist...but

I don't have a problem with Muslims...but

I've got nothing against gays...but

There's always a but.

[edit on 8/5/10 by blupblup]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknows

first lets ask ourselves why do they wear the burkas?

while some women are happily wearing them because they feel that it is the right thing to do and i have nothing against that.

but the majority in islamic countries are forced to wear them. why?

because the extremist muslims are hypocrites who cant help but get boners when they look at women, they are sick minded people who cant control their perverted thoughts so they force the women to cover up.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by i944002

All I have to say to you is thanks thanks thanks.

You are so right.

Covering women's faces is putting them down.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Covering women's faces is putting them down.

So powder foundation, lipstick, mascara and eye shadow are putting women down?

Personally I'm a white atheist and I'd don a burqah if they made them illegal.

-m0r

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

Damn right man.... gotta rebel against these things

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Well if you wanna make burqas, hijabs and nikabs illegal then it would be only natural to make crosses, criucifixes, stars of david, churches, mosques, varieties of temples, that funny hat jews wear, turbans and buddha statues (i.e all religious symbiols and parphenilla) illegal.......

Or how about make all political symbols illegal?

But that would be kinda fascist, don't you think?

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   

reply to post by the illuminator

What I mean is respect the country where you live.

And adopt their rules.

Do not be disrespectful to the country where you live.

That doesnt give them rights to control your beliefs,a good country would embrace you,you can respect there beliefs but they have to respect yours,people are to wrapped up about nationality,i myself am ashamed to call myself british and to be classed with that group of people,the goverment doesnt speak for the populace.thankyou for your time.

regards to all

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkurkNilsen

Just another racist troll, nothing to see, move on.

Probably, however the burkha does cause problems. Terrorists did try and escape the country disguised in a burkha. So I can see from a security point of view that this is a problem. You can also see how such a garment is a problem in shops.

Don't ban the burkha nor any garment HOWEVER the wearer is under an obligation to abide by the rules, customs, security etc etc of the country they have emigrated to.

Point to note : shops ban people (kids usually) from entering a shop with their hoodie up, for obvious reasons. Image a white male thief dressed in a burkha......perfect disguise!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Last time I checked, Great Britain was a free country with freedom of expression.
The Burka is a part of the freedom of expression

Catwhoknows are you saying that the right of freedom of expression should be removed altogether? or only for those people happen to be Muslim and female?

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
This is totally a security issue- unlike in the U.S. where kids can't wear a U.S. Flag t-shirt on Cinco de Mayo.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   

I have thought a long time about people who emigrate, and it seems to me that people who have emigrated to Britain should adopt their rules.

Bearing this in mind, I think if you live in Britain, you don't wear burqa or any other non-British things.

We been having the same issues in Denmark. And of course a certain "dress code" is obligated...

There is currently no ban on religious Islamic dress in Denmark. However, following an incident in which a burqa-clad journalist was able to pass unchecked through security at Copenhagen airport,[20] the government stressed to the airports the need for passengers to show their faces.

In 2006 Asmaa Abdol-Hamid caused much debate when she hosted a TV show on DR2 wearing a hijab.[21] The controversy continued the following year when she announced she would be running for parliament. Member of Parliament Søren Krarup, of the Danish People's Party, questioned whether wearing a hijab in parliament was constitutional and said the headscarf is a totalitarian symbol, comparable to the Nazi swastika or the communist hammer and sickle.[22]

In April 2007 the Odense city council asked the Minister for Family and Consumer Affairs of Denmark to rule on a case in which a Muslim woman refused to remove her veil for her job as a family care worker. A majority in parliament was ready to give employers the right to ban Muslim niqab and burka veils for employees.[23]

In May 2008, the Danish government decided that judges in courts should strive for religious and political neutrality, and that consequently they would no longer be allowed to wear visible religious symbols, including crucifixes, kippahs and head scarves.[24]

Wiki

However, and here comes the "but". If a "civilian", based on free choice, wants to wear a headdress of any kind. How can that be an issue for other people ? Basically it would be as same, as if we're told to walk around naked. Strange comparison i know that. Just it could probably feel that way for some, if they're not to wear the burqa

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Well if you wanna make burqas, hijabs and nikabs illegal then it would be only natural to make crosses, criucifixes, stars of david, churches, mosques, varieties of temples, that funny hat jews wear, turbans and buddha statues (i.e all religious symbiols and parphenilla) illegal.......

Or how about make all political symbols illegal?

But that would be kinda fascist, don't you think?

There is no reference to the hijab, burka, or nikab in any Muslim holy-text.
Unless you can come up with evidence supporting your claim that the garments are "religious symbols".

The fact of the matter is that covering up women, and the reasons for which they cover, are primitive at best, and without a doubt discriminatory. If a person engages in discriminatory behavior, it should be stopped. If you can explain how wearing a cross, or owning a statue of Buddha is a form of oppression, I'll give you a cookie. But you can't, so I wont. Muslims have shown a great disdain for western civilization, demanding separate treatment at banks (Sharia banking), restaurants (KFC in England, Halal menu), and government offices (Drivers license photos wearing a flowing black garment..a mantle of oppression). I assure you, If I were to travel to Saudi Arabia, I would not expect to live by MY cultures norms, I'd have to live by theirs. Its THEIR country. Just as in the west, we should expect the Muslims to leave their barbarous and primitive prejudices against women and their bodies in their home countries.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
That would be like telling me that i cant wear my OSU hat in public
come on man!!

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by malcr

Just another racist troll, nothing to see, move on.

Probably, however the burkha does cause problems. Terrorists did try and escape the country disguised in a burkha. So I can see from a security point of view that this is a problem. You can also see how such a garment is a problem in shops.

Don't ban the burkha nor any garment HOWEVER the wearer is under an obligation to abide by the rules, customs, security etc etc of the country they have emigrated to.

Point to note : shops ban people (kids usually) from entering a shop with their hoodie up, for obvious reasons. Image a white male thief dressed in a burkha......perfect disguise!

If you travelled a bit you would know that women wearing burqas have to take them off in passport controll, I've seen it on many ocassions also in muslim countries like UAE and Malaysia.

I wish I could wear a burqa down to the pub on sundays when I hava a hangover, just for privacy.....

BTW: What terrorists?

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by flymetothemoon

Just a note, Søren Krarup is a member of a danish nationalist party compareable to the BNP, so no surprise he uses any excuse to attack muslims.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join