It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-Ridicule Countermeasure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   
You know Aliens and UFOs, Cryptids, Atlantis, and just anything Paranormal and Supernatural as well Pseudo-scientific stuffs are have one thing in common: Their credibilities has severely Botched by Ridicule. The Question is: how to Keep the credibilities of things like that from being botched by Ridicule and Prevents any Ridicules?

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Explanation: Let me be one of the 1st to pour scorn and ridicule over this threads basic premise...

Credibility requires a CONCENSUS agreed reality! That clearly needs to be debated and that of course sets the stage for unavoidable ridicule and scorn!

Personal Disclosure: But a perservering soul with a thick skin will endure! Outlast the enemy and go for teh WIN!

Consider Thomas Edisons many failed attempts to create a working lightbulb! The weren't failures in his eyes...

Thomas Edison Quote [quotationspage.com]

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaLogos

Explanation: Let me be one of the 1st to pour scorn and ridicule over this threads basic premise...

Credibility requires a CONCENSUS agreed reality! That clearly needs to be debated and that of course sets the stage for unavoidable ridicule and scorn!

Personal Disclosure: But a perservering soul with a thick skin will endure! Outlast the enemy and go for teh WIN!

Consider Thomas Edisons many failed attempts to create a working lightbulb! The weren't failures in his eyes...

Thomas Edison Quote [quotationspage.com]

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."

the problems is: how did Media monopoly by a handful of media moguls affects Scientific Consensus?

[edit on 8-5-2010 by masonicon]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
I believe the mindset of the "ridiculers" is slowly being broken down and the sheeple are opening their eyes, There's Too much information so to speak for people to digest and they (sheeple) just do not want to be seen as foolish,
But the more you get people to listen the more open they become and add their own opinions, IMO

Like me, I would never have thought to become a member on ATS About 10 years ago But now i visit and post almost every day LOL....

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by masonicon

Explanation: It affects us all in that they [the MSM] act as a 5th column hidden in plain sight amongst the rank and file of the public at large and acting as mercinaries under the direction of TPTB in a Propaganda war against our [the (re)publics] best interests whilst claiming that they are doing the exact opposite by proxy for us!

I discuss that here...

War On Terror: NewsCorp. is the New Battle Front and was the 5th Column undermining US! [ATS]

And for those over at 2010.abovetopsecret.com

War On Terror: NewsCorp. is the New Battle Front and was the 5th Column undermining US! [2010ATS]

Personal Disclosure: A large quantity of sources is required before one can make any assesments on quality, so diversify and broaden the horizons where one grazes for information OK! Sources shall be defined as the ones footing the bills and not the individual mouthpieces that they may control!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by masonicon
The Question is: how to Keep the credibilities of things like that from being botched by Ridicule and Prevents any Ridicules?

The obvious fallacy in this question is evident: such things have no credibility and are therefore subject to ridicule. To prevent ridicule you must first establish credibility and that requires backing your claims with indisputable evidence.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by masonicon

If there wasn't anything to be ridiculed, then they woulnd't be ridiculed.

No offense, but I think you are mixing up a healthy dose of skeptiscism with what you consider to be ridicule.

[edit on 8-5-2010 by Blanca Rose]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

The obvious fallacy in this question is evident: such things have no credibility and are therefore subject to ridicule. To prevent ridicule you must first establish credibility and that requires backing your claims with indisputable evidence.

Good point TD but I'm not sure indisputable evidence exists. As long as there are at least 2 people, dispute is always a possibility. ATS makes this point. People in this community many times offer what they consider (for them) to be indisputable evidence. If it were true there would be few replies to any OP.

I, for one, enjoy finding what others feel and believe. I enjoy reading the provided evidence but most evidence comes from studying evidence provided by others (NOTE: it's not every day that someone can cram three "evidences" in one sentence).

People that ridicule should be pitied. Ridicule is usually offered because they can not make their point or intelligently offer a counterpoint. What would be really cool is when someone ridicules the thread goes on as if that poster is not even in the conversation. Don't reply and blast them, make them invisible in the thread and maybe then they will offer something constructive.

Waddayathink.........?

Peace..........yak055h

[edit on 8-5-2010 by yak055h]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   

The obvious fallacy in this question is evident: such things have no credibility and are therefore subject to ridicule. To prevent ridicule you must first establish credibility and that requires backing your claims with indisputable evidence. Traditional Drummer

What is hidden remains credible even if you haven't seen it or sensed it. If only one person in the world has seen a purple hippo, and tells the whole world, it makes them no less credible because they are not believed. If you immediately jump to ridicule over lack of evidence, then it is not the credible existance of the subject which is harmed, only the perception of it.

In other words, you would ridicule everything with incomplete proof, regardless of the truth.

[edit on 8-5-2010 by Northwarden]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by yak055h

People that ridicule should be pitied. Ridicule is usually offered because they can not make their point or intelligently offer a counterpoint. What would be really cool is when someone ridicules the thread goes on as if that poster is not even in the conversation. Don't reply and blast them, make them invisible in the thread and maybe then they will offer something constructive.

Waddayathink.........?

On this point I agree wholeheartedly. Ridicule is the device of cynics and it offers nothing constructive to a discussion. Sadly though, normal healthy skepticism is commonly mistaken as ridicule. I speak of true skeptics, not pseudo-skeptics who are cynics in disguise. While personal accounts are interesting, they don't hold up well as evidence and when called out on this point it tends to be misinterpreted as "ridicule".

I understand that beliefs held close to the heart invoke emotional response, especially when called for evidence. But the quest for understanding truth is a two way street that involves both the true believer and the truth seeker. We must all exhibit mutual respect to arrive at a better understanding.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Northwarden

What is hidden remains credible even if you haven't seen it or sensed it. If only one person in the world has seen a purple hippo, and tells the whole world, it makes them no less credible because they are not believed. If you immediately jump to ridicule over lack of evidence, then it is not the credible existance of the subject which is harmed, only the perception of it.

In other words, you would ridicule everything with incomplete proof, regardless of the truth.

While it is true that absence of evidence is not always evidence of absence, at some point substantiation of one's claims become necessary, otherwise we like in a world in which anything goes and any claim must be held valid no matter how absurd. I can say that ridicule is the worst way of resolving any such situation and it assumes a degree of arrogance. Ridicule is inappropriate and will never provide an environment aimed at discovering truth. But, as long as claims remain devoid of tangible evidence, cynics will find an avenue to express their ridicule. Such claims are not "ridicule-proof".

new topics

top topics

join