It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clinton warns Pakistan of 'consequences' over extremism

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Clinton warns Pakistan of 'consequences' over extremism

news.bbc.co.uk

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has warned Pakistan of unspecified "severe consequences" if it can be linked to a successful extremist attack on the US.

She told CBS while Pakistan had become more helpful in tackling extremists, co-operation could still be improved.

"We've made it very clear that if - heaven-forbid - an attack like this that we can trace back to Pakistan were to have been successful, there would be very severe consequences," she warned
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
It's quite ironic that the News Title sounds like it's game over for Pakistan, yet most of the actual story talks of how good the relationship is great between both the United States and Pakistan.

It will be very interesting to see just what the US will do if the US find out Pakistan knew of the Times Square Attempt in advance.

What can they do?

One thing we have got to ask is -

If Pakistan are knifing the US in the back, whats to stop them giving a terrorist group a little 'Nuke Present' through the back door?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Good to know that our elected representatives, (Obama) have put the right people in place to speak on our behalf (Clinton). Here we have Clinton warning a nation that needs no warning. They are indeed helping us more now than they were, and yet we are laying out dire implications based on the fatct that if a nuke is launched by terrorists that was made in Pakistan, there will be consequences. How would we even know?

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ventian

It doesn't add up. I suspect that the US Government know a lot more here than they are telling us, possibly in relation to the failed Times Square Bomb.

To directly say this to Pakistan must mean that alls not good with this relationship for sure.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

The only bad thing I can tell with our relationship is that we are so far removed from the constitution that not only is state sovereignty a crime but now the sovereignty of other nations must be as well. Pisses me off so bad that we can't go back to isolationism because one man (FDR) decided we must police the world now and forever.

I understand how scary Hitler was and all, but our technology means we can keep tabs on the other countries without the need for interfering. It seems like they actually believe that terrorism can be defeated. I wonder if they thought out how to stop a belief? Judging by their actions, they must not have a clue.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ventian

I understand how scary Hitler was and all, but our technology means we can keep tabs on the other countries without the need for interfering. It seems like they actually believe that terrorism can be defeated. I wonder if they thought out how to stop a belief? Judging by their actions, they must not have a clue

I guess it depends on the real reason or agenda behind what the US are doing. Is it really about defeating terrorism or is there a darker agenda?

I think many would agree that the US, Britain Etc do not need their finger in many of the pies they are in just now, so why are their fingers in these pies?

There's no way it's just about defeating certain types of regimes and terrorism. We are fuelling terrorism, not stopping it!!

Crazy....

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Boring, all the drone attack is causing anger in Pakistan.. It should be Pakistan warning America not the opposite, but we all know that Pakistan is bullied therefore can't do anything.. If I was Pakistan and my people were being killed, I wouldn't do anything is well because America can send Pakistan back to stone ages..

This is the reality which people don't want to accept..

If innocent Americans were being killed, and the American government didn't/wouldn't/couldn't do any thing about it, I'm sure normal Americans would try to take revenge by themselves..

That is exactly what is happening in Pakistan, and other parts of the world..

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Could not agree more, I really thought some change would come when Obama got in, he rallied the people on the thought of change. Yet, what do you get, the same old, same old, I am really unsure anymore what it will take for America to stop it's doomed path of being the world's policeman? What are the American people thinking, do you really believe that you need to be the world's policeman and physically intervene in every spat in every third world country? Can you not see it is destroying your own very existence in trying to fund campaigns in foreign countries, you spend billions, if not trillions of dollars in foreign campaigns that in return deliver very little to your people, but deliver much to the war industrial machine... as an outsider looking in, it really scares me that the basic and decent american people will allow the tyrants running the country to continue on this path? ...... Obama promised lots, delivered little... and controls even less...

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by searchforknowledge

Obama promised lots, delivered little... and controls even less...

Nice words. Could'nt agree more.

g

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Whilst the Pakistan government does have good and strong links with the US government there are elements within the Pakistan Security Forces and Armed Foces that sympathise with The Taliban and other extremist organisations.

And The West can not allow The Taliban or another extremist group take control in Pakistan and allow them access to their nuclear arsenal.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by searchforknowledge
reply to post by oozyism

What are the American people thinking, do you really believe that you need to be the world's policeman and physically intervene in every spat in every third world country? Can you not see it is destroying your own very existence in trying to fund campaigns in foreign countries, you spend billions, if not trillions of dollars in foreign campaigns that in return deliver very little to your people, but deliver much to the war industrial machine... as an outsider looking in, it really scares me that the basic and decent american people will allow the tyrants running the country to continue on this path? ...... Obama promised lots, delivered little... and controls even less...

Nicely put. Don't ask us what is wrong with our people. ATS, well actually not lately with the bigot infiltration, but this is really the only place where sanity exists yet the rest of the dumb bricks that inhabit our country look at us like we're the crazies. It's really a strange world.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

there are elements within the Pakistan Security Forces and Armed Foces that sympathise with The Taliban and other extremist organisations.

By elements, do you mean the people of Pakistan?

I hope you do

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Well Pakistan doesn't have a choice!

After 9/11 took place the US warned Pakistan that if it did not allow CIA agents, drones and permanent US millitary bases in Pakistan than it would make Flinstones a reality for them.

Musharraf made that clear in his book too, now he's enjoying his retirement in London after turning his country into a safe peaceful haven for pakistani people.

Now we have zardari who killed his own own beloved wife bhutto because she was Bad for her people.

Clinton doesn't need to worry, Pakistan is heading towards the right direction.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Incredible that Clinton does what she does. Really.

You would believe by now, that America in general is tired of fighting these terrorists. Yet, by warning Pakistan, they have just made yet another relationship deteriorate. If it escelates, and America begins to send troops to Pakistan to help fight off the terrorists, then they would be fighting on 3 fronts.
A 2 front war is bad. 3 fronts is terrible.
Spending money and lives on, seemingly, endless policing actions is not helping the world at all.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by VikingDude

4th front coming soon.

You probably heard the saying:

'that you shouldn't put your hand in every hole cos there might me a snake in one'

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by merkava

Where would the 4th front be? Just curious

Anyways. That is still way to many areas to fight in.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by VikingDude
reply to post by merkava

Where would the 4th front be? Just curious

Hmmm, isn't that obvious?

Let me give you a clue, people sometimes call the leader of that nation, 'I am a dinner jacket'.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by merkava

I honestly don't think we'll go to war with Iran.
The people of both the USA and the UK have learnt so much from the illegal invasion of Iraq.
It would be political suicide to do so in the near future.
I suspect the only time we would do would be if Iran actually developed nuclear weapons and then looked as if they may use them.
Iran is not stupid and they know they will get wiped off the face of the earth if they considered a pre-emptive strike.
Public statements and private diplomacy are two very different things.

Pakistan is where the real danger is.
We all know there is much sympathy with The Taliban within Pakistan.
We can not allow them access to nuclear weapons because they WILL use them.
In addition to Israel not allowing this, neither will India.
Pakistan would become a wasteland.
None of us wish this.

That is why The Taliban in Afghanistan must be resisted.
We need to concentrate ALL our efforts on this with a well thought out plan aimed at eradicating their threat and a support plan for the Afghani people which puts their concerns and well being first.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by VikingDude

I think, what is incredible, is that she does what she does with the knowledge that she has.

You can be forgiven in doing things, when you don't know, what you don't know.

This is very different, Hillary Clinton is highly intelligent, very manipulative, respresents the americans as your Secretary of State, yet struts the world stage in a manner deferred to a Mafia Dom.

I think Ms. Clinton should be careful in this approach, as the old adage goes, - be careful for what you wish for, it may just become true.......

That is not what the American people aspire to.....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join