It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Westall UFO incident - New documentary

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Here's a colour shot of the above image.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7f25efc797ca.jpg[/atsimg]

Just coz I had it...

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Chadwickus.....

Why's it so much more blurry?

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maybe...maybe not

Chadwickus.....

Why's it so much more blurry?

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

And what's that at the bottom? Surely not someone's hand that's tossed something in the air?!!

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Looks like a picture of a picture, would explain the blur and the light reflection.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I thought the "hand" was a chimney myself.

No idea why it's so blurry, maybe it's been falsely coloured?

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

Chadwickus.....

I tend to agree with you, there.

Possibly.....

There seems little point to that when the B&W photo was so clear.

Anyway, if it's a hoax as alluded to by InfraRedMan, I guess it doesn't really matter.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   

I have been in touch many times, over the past five years, with the gentleman who took this Polaroid photograph of this object flying above his mother's house.

After 44 years he still stands by his sighting and his photograph.

He says he never wanted it to be released to the media at the time (this was done by a friend). After it was published, he says a storm gathered around him, and that he was interviewed by men from both the RAAF and the CSIRO. He thinks there was a great deal of consternation about his photograph because the Government officials believed it was the same object sighted at Westall just four days later...a sighting that they wanted people to believe had never happened in the first place.

I can't say of course if the photo is real or not...I don't know. But, it is telling that the man who took it, after all these years, still stands by it, and is still reluctant to be associated with it, and won't talk in public about it.

I have been in touch with Westall witnesses who say it is very much like what they saw at Westall - some say it is identical. Other witnesses, however, do not think so. The mystery continues....

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I watched the documentary last month and very much enjoyed it. Indeed, I felt that it is an interesting case that requires closer scrutiny to ascertain the nature of the object that was witnessed by the students and Mr Greenwood that day.

However, I recently happened across an article which posits that a weather balloon, which was launched roughly two and a half hours prior to the sighting at Westall, accounts for the object that students witnessed descending behind the trees that day. The balloon is said to have travelled from a position 32km west-northwest of Westall, and that it was blown to the locus of the observations by the students on a southeasterly course.

To explain Mr Greenwood's observation of the object ascending and departing on a course away from Westall, the author suggests that a nylon target drogue, which was towed by an aircraft in order for other local aircraft to chase it, would account for his sighting. This would also be congruent with statements about other aircraft chasing the object as it departed from Westall.

The author states that no concealment of the incident was instigated by the military following news of the sighting. He cites the principal of the school to explain why no cover-up was enacted by the military:

The principal, Frank Samblebe, gave a simpler explanation to the Dandenong Journal, published on May 5, 1966. He said "the flood of callers and phone calls from the Air Force down to the Flying Saucer Association interrupted the children's studies." Given this real-world concern of the school, it does seem reasonable that he would have asked the press to leave the students alone, and done what he could to enforce it at the front desk. From every single 1966 account I've read, this is the full extent of what's now being described as a "coverup" or a "conspiracy".

The Air Force personnel Samblebe referred to were probably four Air Force investigators who showed up on April 9, three days after the event, to look at what was said to be the landing site. A number of enthusiasts from various UFO groups accompanied them, but apparently nothing interesting was found, because nothing was documented from this visit.

What do you think of the author's ideas concerning the Westall incident? I think particular aspects of the incident may have been embellished over time but I find it difficult to believe that a weather balloon and target drogue would be mistaken for the object that was described by witnesses at the time.

Article

[edit on 13/8/10 by The Quiet Earth]

[edit on 13/8/10 by The Quiet Earth]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nanzan

I have been in touch many times, over the past five years, with the gentleman who took this Polaroid photograph of this object flying above his mother's house.
After 44 years he still stands by his sighting and his photograph.

Nanzan.....

I missed your post until just now.....sorry!

Your commentary is interesting.....thank you!

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
But it is true, the better cases seem to get ignored, maybe it's because there is less to debate?

That's essentially true. If somebody comes forward and says they saw this or that kind of weird flying saucer, which flew away not leaving any trace behind, what is there to say? Congratulations?

I could call them liars, or say they were mistaken and suggest possible alternative things they might have actually seen. But without being there (particularly with multiple witnesses) I can't simply jump to the conclusion that they're wrong about what they saw.

Of course, I can criticize if they start claiming to know it was an alien spacecraft or something like that, because without proof, that's just an opinion and should be acknowledged as an opinion.

But, otherwise, the only comment I can make is that the witnesses were lucky. "Real" UFO sightings are actually quite rare.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by The Quiet Earth

The Quiet Earth.....

Thank you for linking to the article by Dunning.....

a.k.a. "The Skeptoid!"

I guess it's like all such prosaic explanations.....worthy of review & consideration.

Subsequent to my review & consideration of Dunning's article I'd say it is one possible prosaic explanation in the absence of any others, but it's an "extreme stretch".

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Hi All,

Just to let everyone know, the documentary "Westall '66: A Suburban UFO Mystery" will be the feature of a screening and panel discussion this coming Saturday as part of a Sci Fi and Fantasy convention called AussieCon4, at the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre.

The screening time is 12 noon, and an hour discussion panel for 1:00 pm on Saturday 4 September, titled: "Westall `66: Making the documentary".

From the program: "On 6 April 1966 more than 200 witnesses in Melbourne claimed to see an unidentified flying object (UFO) in the sky over Clayton South. In 2010 their experiences were told in the new documentary Westall `66, which aired to great success on the Sci-Fi Channel. Director Rosie Jones, producer Carmel McAloon and witnesses of the original incident tell the story of what happened in 1966, and how the documentary came to fruition."

Saturday 12:00 pm-2:00 pm, Room 220, Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre. General program items run for around 50 minutes (in an hour slot). Checking In to the Convention (Day Passes are $95): you should register for the convention at the regular registration area. www.aussiecon4.org.au...

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   

wow this is an amazing thread chadwickus. I had heard of this many years ago as I do not live too far away from where it happened, but I had forgotten about it over the years. Glad to see that it's had some life breathed back into it.

Kudos to you my friend.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I have just discovered and watched the youtube series of the doco on Westall 66'. Had heard of this event many years ago from an OZ friend and was delighted to see someone has done this program and how blardy typical that it was screened on a scifi channel, not mainstream. Grrr!!!.
And....there has undoubtably been a coverup of the highest degree!!

I am wondering why, if these ' objects' are ( as purported by some) created here on planet Earth, they are so hidden? I mean, it would appear then that most countries in the world have them if thats the case and in all different shapes and sizes.
So one assumes competition is not an issue? How secret can you be if you want to flaunt a new toy in front of 100's of school kids as in Australia and in the Ariel school case in Zimbabwe?
There is that old saying... ' loose lips sink ships'...and kids will talk!!
And as far as that dumbarse skeptic saying a weather balloon had been released that day is totally hysterical. :

Anyone who has not watched the series of 6 youtube vids needs to do so IMO.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join