It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humans and their Unique Stimuli and Effects.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
This is going to be hard to put into words, but I will try my best.

Over the past couple years, I have been observing us humans, and we are quite the interesting animal. I realize now that each human has unique stimuli, and these stimuli can have interesting effects on the human brain and body.

Let me give an example. I had a ringtone on my phone that I used as a morning alarm. One day in class, someone had the same ringtone, but they used it when people called. Anyway, when I heard that sound in class, out of context, it really disoriented me and automatically made me think of waking up to that sound.

Okay, if that example wasn't clear, I am going to give one more.

I recently starting rolling my own American Spirit tobacco ciggarettes. I over time noticed a strange stimulus and its effect on me when it came to rolling tobacco. If you know about rolling, most people use their saliva to moisten the paper in order to close it. Similar to an envelope basically. Anyway, so recently, when I get to the point of rolling the tobacco where it is time to lick, my mouth starts to salivate before I even do it.

This made me laugh and think of that experiment with dogs in which a bell rang every time before they recieved their food. After a while, they would ring the bell, and would notice that the dogs would start salivating even before food was put before them.

I find this kind of stuff really interesting, and was wondering if you have any personal stimuli that cause a certain effect within yourself, or if you have noticed this in other humans.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
I know the point I'm trying to make here, but I need more evidence to back it up. Can I please get some examples that you have seen in order to give credence to this idea?

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

What a great observation.

I don't have any ideas, but I do see it is probably how politicians and other people control us.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
In my years of smoking roll your own I never noticed that, I must have just taken it for granted. But somthing I did notice is when id get some smoke of the green variety and finally get it home, id be feeling the effects of it before the smoke even hit my lungs, sometimes just when chopping id get that wave of calm come over me the same feeling one gets after smoking it, as though I was already effected. Its like my body knew I was going to get it for sure so it started releasing the same chemicals before any even had a chance to be absorbed through my avioli. Sort of like a more complex version of pavlovs dog.

That was all a few years ago now so Id forgotten it untill you metioned it. One thing I do notice nowdays is an expanded power of my mind over what happens to me physically, like if I think im going to get a sore back at work, then I will. I put it down to the "create your own reality" phenomena that has been happening to me so much lately. Another one is if I think I might be sick then I will end up getting sick, but If I think healthy, healthy, healthy then the sickness passes really quickly.

I would change the phrase "you get what you wish for" to; you'll get what you think about. Its as though consciousness is paramount, and the obersever is in control, the same things quatum physics begins to reveal. The reality you create to experience is controlled by two things, the thought and the emotion behind the thought. The emotion is what gives it the strength. When most people pray about things like "stop the war, its terrible the way the world is", the universe doesnt here you say "stop" it just hears "war, horrible" with the powerfull emotion of sadness giving the thought much magnitude. People should think about what they wanted rather than about what they dont want, think peace couple with the strength of love and you shall create.

The PTB's media must capitalize on the power of our consciousnesses ability to the effect the world, what they say is going on will end up happening, maybe not because it actually was that bad but by the time a mass of the population has all had that terrible thought coupled with fear...in sync...the effect will end up making the world to what the media said it was anyway.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Well I would say one good example is everyone feels giddy when they see someone they "like", and a lot of people are into different people, so that's a lot of different stimuli.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Back when I was teen I had a record player. One of the records I owned was badly scratched on one song.

To this day whenever and wherever I hear that song, I automatically kinda "tense up" for the skipping sound even though consciously I know that will not happen.

I guess the scatched record "conditioned" me to expect the skipping sound whenever the song is played. : )

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

Know what you mean

Years ago, every time I entered a public telephone booth, I had an urgent need to urinate. To me, the reason seemed to be the similarly in size of phone booths to toilet cublicles

Not many public phone booths in existence any longer and anyway, don't need to use them, so the 'stimuli/effect' thing no longer occurs

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
It is interesting, right. I studied psychology for a year and we covered some of this concept. Apparently people will salivate when they smell the aroma of coffee beans. Take note next time you smell coffee ! I haven't noticed it in myself .. actually i think I'm salivating right now just from writing about it ha ha

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Every thursday for a year (spent in the army) we had to eat pea soup with little slices of ham in it. Now every time I smell/see pea soup I remember all the times I used to eat it in the army and try to find a tree for cover lol

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Another I've noticed is the aroma of hot, potato chips (or 'fries' as Americans call them)

Very often, if someone enters a shop carrying a bag of hot chips, other customers and the staff will actually comment: ' Mmmm ... hot chips ! Yum ! I'll have to go and buy some myself now. Just love the smell of hot chips'. Others pull a mock tortured expression and say to the hot-chips owner, ' Why did you have to bring those in here ... sad face ... I'm on a diet and now you've made me break it ' --- that sort of thing. Even passing by a fish and chip shop, people will sniff and march straight in to buy some --- even though five minutes earlier, the thought wouldn't have crossed their minds, most likely

Hot bread shops know all about the power of aroma too --- ditto coffee shops

new topics

top topics

join