It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need help: My brother wants to join the USMC

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Just out of curiosity is he ONLY talking to Marine recruiters? If the answer is yes then at least convince him to get the best offer he can by talking to the Army, AirForce, Navy and hell even the Coast Guard. He may still have to attend college after the service to become a police officer so he should give himself more options and potential education. At the least they will all be taking him out to lunch everyday and tell him to wait until he sees the recruiters face when he tells him he is talking to the others.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Marines Hard boot Camp..........(I been through it)....... Tell your bro this if he goes"to remember, Stay mentally strong"

[edit on 8-5-2010 by morf991]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Speak to his girlfriend. Maybe she could change his mind?
If he doesn't have one, speak to someone he fancies to convince him otherwise

I think the best you could do is to find someone to share the reality of war in Iraq to chat with him directly?
Army recruiters are snakes

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
shoot him in the leg and see if he still wants to go to Afganistan.

He is probably under illusion that he wont actually go to war too.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by masawa
Just out of curiosity is he ONLY talking to Marine recruiters?

yea, from what he told me. I told him to talk to my best friend who is in the air national guard. Told him to do reserve guard, or air national guard for 4 years. They still pay for college, and its great on a cop resume.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOracle

not to shoot down your theory, but don't most relationships end when one enters the military?

even if i do talk to his girl. what are the chances SHE would have any affect on him?

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

not an option, but... wait i cant do that. please dont give me any violent ideas.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ugie1028

Well blanks are a good option too.

Tell him you are going to help prepare him for the right mentality when he gets shipped to Afganistan in a few months.

Have him run around the yard, with obstacles, and junk. while telling him its live fire.

never tell him you where shooting blanks, and dont aim directly at him.

a couple m80s thrown at him too.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ugie1028
reply to post by TheOracle

not to shoot down your theory, but don't most relationships end when one enters the military?

even if i do talk to his girl. what are the chances SHE would have any affect on him?

Don't underestimate the power of love.

I am just throwing an idea. I'd speak to him if you allow me to.
I just hope that if he doesn't change his mind, he won't have to be on the ground putting his life at risk.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I'm sorry, I fail to see this line of reasoning. Is your brother not his own man? I appreciate you wanting the best for him, but it is his life. You can respect someones opinion without agreeing with it, and here it sounds less like an opinion and more of a control issue. If he wants to join, it is his decision, ask him to investigate other options/branches, but ultimately it's his decision.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

your right its his...

but its a bad decision with definite possibility of him being sent to war!

IMO thats not an opinion. thats a fact. if my opinion derives from that so be it. I know people close to me who were in and still are in the mil who are mentally screwed. yea... thanks for the support and pointing out the obvious.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I dunno how it works in the USA, but in the UK, when you enlist you get to pick 6 options in order of preference of the job you want to do. The recruiters talk up anything you show interest in. After an aptitude test, an officer tells you what he thinks you'd be best at & between the advice & what you think, you choose.
They are legally obliged to tell you that you may not get any of your choices, but they make light of it & try to convince you that the military is there to serve you, not the other way around. Obviously this is utter bollocks: they put you wherever they can use you best at the time you finish basic training. In a conflict, the job that needs a constant supply of replacements is rifleman. If your bro wants to sit around bored out of his arse most of the time, except for the times he's required to put himself at serious risk whilst being ordered to do awful things, or doing pointless tasks just to stop the boredom, then I suppose thats the job for him, but unless he gets promotion, its not going to look good on a CV except for a job without prospects for increasing responsibility with promotion, ie a career. He'll not get much promotion in 4yrs.
Hope this is relevant. I almost enlisted, but after talking to mates who had the year before, I didn't. Not so much because of what they told me, but because they had become a bit dickheadish!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
My son almost joined the military last fall. He had been living with me and going to college when he found out the college was scamming him and the other students and a class action lawsuit was being filed against the school for fraud. He dropped out and had a tough time finding a job. So he secretly started checking into the military and when he had an appointment with a recruiter he finally told me about it. I was of course devastated. I pointed out that he would not be fighting for America, polls showed most Americans don't want these wars. He'd be fighting for Haliburton and Exon or some other corporation. And that he could pretty well be rest assured they'd use him for cannon fodder. I also pointed out that more soldiers were dying every day from suicide then they were from the actual wars. And how good would he feel busting into some family's home (in their own country) with weapons drawn, ect. ect. I said alot more than that, but that is the gist. He knew I was right and it gave him the wherewithal to hang in there until he found a job...6 months later.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Okay Straight talk form a proud recently retired Marine, one who loves the Corps... and show this reply to your little brother...

Right now the Marines are cutting back on recruiting... their even asking some of the older hands to retire early... forgot the sign on bonus those are gone....it's really a bad time to be in the Corps... maybe he should look at the Navy??? Yeah I know I hate to say that...

Another little side note he might find of interest... once I completed my first tour I talked to the local sheriff's office about maybe coming to work for them... I was told flat out they dont hire Marines, said we tend to be to violent.... odd as I'm as peace loving as the next guy...

[edit on 8-5-2010 by DaddyBare]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Tell him that the war is being lost, our government is going bankrupt, and that the state of California is ALREADY bankrupt, and that there is a large chance he will never get to come home.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I can understand that you don't want him to go in the USMC.. but.. it's his decision.
Make him understand from your point of view that's it's not the best choice, but respect his choice.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   

I feel for you Man and I can see the influence of the media and computer games influencing younger minds everyday.

I was at the same/similar crossroads at one time in my life. The marine recruiter will tell you almost anything to get you to "sign up".

The only thing I can say that what eventually prevented me from joining were several influential Men in my life at the time, primarily my master or Sensei, a former Marine Recon, 2 tours in Nam. Whom I had a tremendous amount of respect for.

My Dad, former military and my Grandfather who as I have posted here on ATS , fought in Russia for the Wehrmacht (German Army - Non Nazi).
And only survived because he was wounded by a land mine and sent home before the Germans were eradicated by the Russians on the eastern front.

In summary, all of whom talked me out of and told me what it was REALLY going to be like. Not to mention the psychological damage that WAR does to a person. That people generally forget about.

I liked DaddyBare's response and I WOULD highly recommend your Brother reading it.

ALSO, if you can find any ex Marines he could talk to, they would make a much bigger impact on a young brainwashed gung ho mind, than you you ever can Ugie. Simply because you are not military.

Take him to a local VA hospital and find some ex marines there to talk to directly.
Have him watch a very good movie about Marines returning home from combat in Iraq called "Home of the Brave".

Unfortunately He, as I was at one time, is only looking at this from the outside in. And as they say, the grass is always greener.....

Good luck with it and God Bless.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Being a cop, and being a marine are two different things. Marines do not make good cops, imho. Also, with two wars going on, there's the possibility that he could be seriously injured which would just make him a wounded marine with no chance at being a bad cop.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
When I was considering joining the military, my first trip was to the USMC recruiters. They made it sound like it was awesome, but to be fair to myself, even though I wanted to join the Marines, I went and talked to all the other branches.

The one thing that kept me from joining the Marines was the money.
They have the smallest sign-on bonus, lowest pay, lowest everything, even as far as condition and equipment. They are also the first ones in to EVERYWHERE.

I ended up joining the Navy, scored a 92 on my ASVAB, signed up for their Nuclear Program, and then before I shipped out, I was turned onto the truth behind these wars, what's going on in the government, among many other personal happenings, and I decided I wasn't going.

Just show him the facts. Show him the truth. Ask him if he really knows what's going on over there.
Actually, just about three weeks ago, I talked one of my friends out of joining the Army. He wanted to go just because one of his cousins and some other friends went. What kind of reason is that?

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Come to think of it. Major General, Smedly Butler, the author of the book War is a Racket was a very high ranking Marine. And also the few if any recipients of 2 Congressional Medals of Honor for his Valor in combat.

He is another example of the truth in war. AND was so motivated to write a book about it.

Here is a link to the book in pdf format.

If any of you here haven't read it then please do. Here are the table of contents:

Chapter 1: War Is A Racket
Chapter 2: Who Makes The Profits?
Chapter 3: Who Pays The Bills?
Chapter 4: How To Smash This Racket!
Chapter 5: To Hell With War!

It is the ultimate in truth. From a person with real experience in the Military AND War.

Here is the link to the FREE book...:

www.ratical.org...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join