It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need help: My brother wants to join the USMC

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

thanks

i am glad i didn't offend you.

he is my brother. my complete opposite, but still my brother none-the-less. My book-smarts, and his street smarts always conflict. (sibling rivalry) but he should respect his oldest brothers decision and opinion on the matter. after all, i am the one who changed his diapers when he was a baby.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

*was* and that was a long time ago.

2nd line. (its a story i would not share.... at least not here)

[edit on 5/8/2010 by ugie1028]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

I have a few vets lined up. 2 are in the mil as of now. one is reserve, the others just got out of the army. not to mention ME! (me 8 years ago)

ugh, nothing will change this idiotic kids mind.

(sigh) someone have a drink he could take that changes peoples mind?

wait that's wishful thinking..

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by ugie1028
reply to post by hawkiye

(sigh) someone have a drink he could take that changes peoples mind?

i don't know of a drink that will do that but their are these "special" brownies....

KIDDING! KIDDING! just trying to make a heavy situation a little lighter with comedy. sorry in advance

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

if only...

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ugie1028

Take him to meet injured young veterans.

A tour of the VA should give him some idea of how he might end up.

Maybe he will change his mind when he starts meeting men who've had their faces and penises burnt off in IED attacks.

There's all manner of horrors you can expose him to to influence his decision-making processes. Some of those men will be more than happy to explain to him the potential consequences of his actions and show him too.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

Cold, but a great idea.

i will definitely do that.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   

If that doesn't work...

....There are other ways to keep him out of the army.

I'll not list those here yet.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

Usually the best ideas are kept secret.... if not... ATS would not exist... would it?

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Whats up mang.

Ima put my little 2 cents in on the subject if ya dont mind.

The only GOOD cops that I have EVER known, have been PRIOR military.
And I will take that to my grave.

I have known MANY cops over the years, MANY, and itis of personal experience in dealing with them that the ones who seem to have their heads on straight are the former Marines/Army men who have dealt with and know how to deal with horrible situations.

Our military makes boys into men, and that is not always the case when it comes to street trained police.

Its GOOD to have that street in a cop, but when you have a cop that has been battle hardened, and more trained, not only will he be able to handle the situation, but he will more than likely be the one leading the team.
They also usually have better manners than those cops who have not served.

Now I know this is not ALWAYS the case, but most of the time it is.

ALSO...DO NOT..I REPEAT..DO NOT LET HIM BECOME AN MP.
INSTEAD< have him teach himself a trade while hes in there, or to be a grunt. Not an MP. The military make their cops AHOLES(just wanna make that clear).

No matter what trade he joins in the military, it is usually a one way ticket into the the civilian police force.

If I was a cop(yuck), and I had to have a partner, It would have to be a prior serviceman. I trust fully trained soldiers more than I would a street thug with a badge.

Plus,his military training might just save his life one day in the streets.

I would also sleep better at night knowing my brother was way more than capable of handling any situation thrown at him.

The war is the only thing standing in his way. And if he is ok with that, well than more respect to him. I know he would have mine.

Hope that helped-

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

CG: I have always valued your input, even now. thanks for the reply CG, you are a good friend.

Its GOOD to have that street in a cop, but when you have a cop that has been battle hardened, and more trained, not only will he be able to handle the situation, but he will more than likely be the one leading the team. They also usually have better manners than those cops who have not served.

I know. Its just... the war... I dont want to see my brother coming back in a casket, or someone suffering from PTSD... ya know? Hell he may even change his mind about being a cop. I used to be a programmer, now i am a sociologist. things change.

ALSO...DO NOT..I REPEAT..DO NOT LET HIM BECOME AN MP. INSTEAD< have him teach himself a trade while hes in there, or to be a grunt. Not an MP. The military make their cops AHOLES(just wanna make that clear).

He wont be an MP. I told him if he did join the mil; he should join the Air force national guard. I will tell him not to be an MP. I know the story.

The war is the only thing standing in his way. And if he is ok with that, well than more respect to him. I know he would have mine. Hope that helped-

Yea... the war... scares me $h1tless. I have a few friends who were there. (one is a completely diff person.
) They are both mentally shot, and different people now. I dont want to see my brother go through that. If we were not at war, i would be in full support. I am just afraid of the outcome. I dont want him to end up like that if he does experience war... I know the kid, he is my kid brother.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Yea, bros are bros, and you will always have each others best interests at heart.

Over the years, people have come up to me with this question..
"What do you think, should I join the military?"
And My answer is always the same...
"I dont know, what do YOU think?"

If your brother thinks that the only way to become a cop is by becomming something else, hes mistaking.And you already know this, I guess thats why you are so pissed. And you have every right to be.

If you DONT WANT to become a a military man/woman for the right reasons, then you are doomed from the beginning. You will HATE IT, ABSOLUTELY HATE IT. Because its not something that you wanted in the first place, and THAT in and of itself is what can damage his mental.
You have to WANT to be that person who straps on all that gear to go hiking 20 miles with a hundred lb pack and no food. If he doesnt WANT that, hes making a big mistake.

And thanks bro!
"I love you Man!"

No You cant have my budweiser.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

"I love you Man!"

No You cant have my budweiser.

why not?

Thanks... i really needed the laugh.

How did you know i wanted that Budweiser?

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Who wouldnt want a Budweiser after a conversation like that?

Cheers.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good

Who wouldnt want a Budweiser after a conversation like that?

Cheers.

you are absolutely right!

especially being very pissed since i know the current situation for what it is. I am trying to educate him... but you know the youth nowadays...

EDIT: BTW I think i will definitely need a bud once he figures out i made a thread about him on a public forum.

& cheers to you!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Does he realize that the military isn't a 9 to 5 job? There are no days off, and there is no individuality. You might be aware of this being prior. It's not a cake-walk, even if you become a cook or the lowest intelligence required job they have. That was the mistake I made when I went in, not realizing the scope of commitment that was required. It was all day all night, no rest for the wicked.

I'm on your side on this, I think military is and should be absolutely the last resort. Like others have said the best thing you can do is give the real facts on those who are currently serving in the military to counter what the recruiter is telling him. Find statistics for casualties as well as deaths. It sounds like the recruiter has gotten him with the shock and awe aspect of the job. You know how the military is, about once a month, maybe two you actually find something enjoyable about the job, the rest of the time you're reflecting on why you had made that choice to be one of the few, one of the proud.

Show him the video of the military guys in the back of a vehicle teasing Iraqi children with water...
check out around the :25 second mark...THE OFFICER IS ASKING IF THE SOLDIER IS GETTING THIS. Ask him if that's what he wants to work for, an OFFICER that has no respect for another human. Ask him if he enjoys throwing puppies off cliffs. This is what they are doing over there for entertainment! They are looking for some twisted sick way of justifying themselves being there.

Yeah it makes men out of boys...I'm sorry if that is being a man, then this race is already doomed.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Be sincere about it...don't try to be persuasive, call him stupid, or throw gibberish facts at him...he doesn't care about that stuff...what you need to do is show that you care for him, and are worried for him, and you just need him to sit down and listen to what you have to say...maybe then he might take you seriously.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
I think that your brother wants to prove himself and be known as a man. That is fine. The Marine core is good but not as good as the Royal Marines (just kidding).

Sadly rich people NEVER send their kids to the mIlitary. Check the Michael Moore film. He may also get injured or killed in a damn fool war and then be S**t on by the government.

As big brother you need to be prepared to pick up the pieces if it goes wrong.

You have my sympathy and respect.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

I am considering going back despite all of this, and its the reason I gave earlier. I think more people of good character and morals need to be in the positions to keep bad things from happening.

Something terribly wrong with your plan. Do you really think that you can prevent bad things from happening when the whole premise of the war is false; when you will be required to carry out killing missions nevertheless?

You won't be able to cherry pick which orders to follow. You know that. We all know that. I think your plan is a pipe dream.

The only solution is to stay the hell away from the military while it is engaged in illegal wars.

For the OP here, I agree with you and others that your younger brother is making excuses. It scares me that he associates some kind of glory with being a participant in an illegal war that destroys the lives of innocents. I am not sure there is any remedy to his delusion other than the Post Traumatic Stress syndrome that is likely to overcome him should he follow thru with his desire.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by saabster5

I'm on your side on this, I think military is and should be absolutely the last resort. Like others have said the best thing you can do is give the real facts on those who are currently serving in the military to counter what the recruiter is telling him.

I have a few people lined up to talk to him who are in the military who are friends of mine. they share the same concern as i do and are going to talk to him. thanks for the video and reply. I will send it to to him.

reply to post by CHA0S

It would take more than that to convince him. sitting down with older brother seems to be ineffective. Ill keep trying, but so far, it doesnt seem to work on the thick minded.

reply to post by Tiger5

Yes. I forgot to mention that one to him. I will let him know that.

i also dont think he saw Fahrenheit 911, so i don't know if he knows the full scope of the farce which are the wars in iraq and Afghanistan.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join