It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need help: My brother wants to join the USMC

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

I sent him links, told him the down-low on everything. he thinks i am brainwashed for looking into facts, and believe his recruiters word for word...

reply to post by oozyism

i tried. he thinks i am crazy for thinking like this... thank the public educational system for brainwashing this generation.

reply to post by LadySkadi

he is my brother. he should respect my opinion and follow it. No its not about control... its about me being RIGHT, and him being WRONG and STUPID!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Well there's more then just going to war from joining the Marines. I'm joining soon for money for college. Best I can get in life.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

I would hold you in the same ranks as my brother... retarded and stupid... no offense.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

Ah. I see how that could have been interpreted differently than I meant it.

[edit on 8-5-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   

i will never respect it... i don't care... my views on these wars are final. if he joins while my views are this way... he might as well be the enemy.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ugie1028

he is my brother. he should respect my opinion and follow it. No its not about control... its about me being RIGHT, and him being WRONG and STUPID!

This is about refusing to accept a decision he is making becuase you don't like it. Hopefully others will have some good suggestions on ways to approach him without alienating him.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by ugie1028
reply to post by Republican08

I sent him links, told him the down-low on everything. he thinks i am brainwashed for looking into facts, and believe his recruiters word for word...

reply to post by oozyism

i tried. he thinks i am crazy for thinking like this... thank the public educational system for brainwashing this generation.

Did you let him know how recruiters work? Possibly all the horror stories from pissed recruiters? That they get fired if you don't join?

I had a friend think the army was a gold mine, just happy to join, he's in there now, been about a year.... he says everyday suicide runs through his mind..... he'll be front line in Iraq in a few months.

[edit on 8-5-2010 by Republican08]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:30 AM
link   

boy can i relate to you; my little brother joined the army against my will to get the training to become a cop. And unfortunately it wasn't because he thought it would be a faster track to the position of police officer, it was because the recruiters were psychotically obsessed with getting him to join, calling everyday, taking him out to lunch constantly, filling his head with these god damn lies about how "bad ass" it all is, they just play on a teenagers lust for excitement.

my little brother joined, and luckily he was requested to join the "old guard" so hes stationed in DC and doesn't see any action. but now he knows the truth of the situation he could have been in, since the old guard do all the funeral services and he gets to see all the other dead teenagers coming back from war; not only that but he quickly learned how ridiculous the army is, and how far it is from the picture the recruiter painted.

he has one more year then hes out, but he tells me now he wishes he would have listened to me, i have a feeling if your bother joins he will say the same to you within a year.

but this isn't the same experience for everyone, i know from forums that some people really enjoyed there service, it "made a man out of them" is typically the line touted, I'm just yet to meet anyone in real life with an opinion that matches that.

My father was a Vietnam vet, and he suffered from horrible flash backs in his sleep, it didn't seem like a big deal to me when i was a kid to hear him screaming is his sleep "get the @#!$ down!!" and other lines much worse; but now that i'm an adult, i can't imagine what he had to go threw to scar him in such a way.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   

There's no point on name calling. The military is the only option I have left.

[edit on 8-5-2010 by Romantic_Rebel]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   

just curious, have you not applied for Federal grants and a FASFA loan? anyone and basically everyone who isn't rich qualifies for it.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   

it wasnt direct name calling, just an opinion. I am sorry if i hurt feelings or w/e. Its not against you. your not my brother, and i wish you luck... but its my opinion on the current situation we are facing now. they want young blood to join their banker force. its not you, its the people who are behind the curtain wanting these soldiers to do their bidding. if people would educate themselves instead of being swayed by recruiters and that GI bill then i wouldn't have to resort to that.

again its not you, its my brother, and the current policy in place. if it was a different time in our history my opinion would be different.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   

i am sorry if i had offended you. i do appreciate you replies and help, but its just not what i wanted to hear. i dont need to learn acceptance... not with what i have been through with the army. you dont know.

i didn't mean to offend you if i did. i am sorry.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

I can and I had before. But I have way to many problems at home and the military sounds like the best option I got for what I need in life. Hopefully I won't have to fight.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   

IMO its an illusion.

military should be the last choice, not the best choice!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   

hey it's cool. You're looking out for your brother and your confused about how to help him.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Are you serious. Maybe college is a better choice. Gives me a chance to eat more Burger King.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:42 AM
link   

find a grant, or a loan that would be able to help you.

military isn't the option. they use financial help as a ploy to recruit the ignorant, or poor. its true, and you know it.

[edit on 5/8/2010 by ugie1028]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Neh, you didn't offend me and I realize this is something that you feel strongly about.
I hope things work out, for both.
Good luck.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Thanks for telling me. So you're in the military? How does it work? Just curious now.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:46 AM
link   
If you know any returning vets have them talk to him and let him know that 99.9% of everything the recruiter told him is bullsh!t! they are worse the used car salesman! And that he is signing a contract that takes away his rights. What kind of outfit makes you take an oath to the constitution but does not allow you your constitutional rights but instead obligates you to some bastardized set of statutes called the UCMJ.

Have him read the constitution and bill of rights and ask him if he thinks Cops and the military are following it? By fighting undeclared wars for oil and corporate profits and trampling peoples rights who have not harmed anyone.

PS Also tell him there is a clause allowing them to keep him longer then the recruiter told him and to call him back in up till he is 45. He is literally signing his life over to them. And i know a guy who is 44 and got called up because they did not have enough of his MOS

[edit on 8-5-2010 by hawkiye]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join