It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need help: My brother wants to join the USMC

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Hello guys,

I have been a valued member for a while, and i am going through a fight with my little brother. He wants to join the marines. He wants to join the marines because he wants to be a cop and thinks that it would give him a better shot at becoming a cop. Of course, the older brother protectionism is in full swing, but i cant seem to talk him out of it. he thinks its his only option in starting a career.

I am asking ATS for some advice on how to change his mind.

a major reason why i disagree with his decision is the conspiracy on the illegal wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and i don't want him to be part of this genocide. Not to mention i dont want to see him hurt...

can someone give me advice?

MODS please move/remove if this thread is not in the right forum.

thanks!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ugie1028

tell him to get a bachelors in criminal justice, it only takes 2 years (as apposed to 4), and your way less likely to catch a bullet, plus you'll learn a lot more of the information that makes you a good cop instead of a gung ho cop.

edited to add:

Also since you are older, you may have friends who served and have recently gotten out, have them tell your brother about the real side of being a marine/soldier. The recruiting officials tend to make it sound more "bad ass" then incredible horrible, and physiologically draining.

not saying its like that for everyone, but it doesn't sound like your brother wants to be a marine, he just wants career training.

[edit on 5/8/2010 by Alaskan Man]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

i tried that. he is in college studying criminal justice, and sociology. He thinks joining the marines will fast track him into cop-hood.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Time to learn a lesson in growing up and respect for others...

You can give someone your opinion, all the facts and figures and every reason to do or not do something and than you must accept that the person will make their own choice.

It matters not, that you agree or disagree. If you value your freedom to live your truth - than value his freedom to do the same.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ugie1028

i tried that. he is in college studying criminal justice, and sociology. He thinks joining the marines will fast track him into cop-hood.

Last time i checked most places (well in my state at least) are trying to hire more cops, in other words theirs a cop shortage, i dont see how if hes already at least one year (I'm just assuming this) into getting his criminal justice degree, why he thinks going on a four year vacation in the desert is going to fast track him into the position he wants.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   

because he is stupid.

told him that.

he didint like that response.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

well i don't respect his decision, but he can do what he wants... as long as he knows his whole family rejects the idea.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
Time to learn a lesson in growing up and respect for others...

You can give someone your opinion, all the facts and figures and every reason to do or not do something and than you must accept that the person will make their own choice.

It matters not, that you agree or disagree. If you value your freedom to live your truth - than value his freedom to do the same.

as his older brother, hes entitled to give his opinion, hes not forcing his brother to do anything, hes trying to convince his brother to take a different route to a career, this guys done nothing to stop this kid from living his life, hes just trying to stop him from cutting it short.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I think he is just using the 'fast track' as an excuse. He probably just wants to be a Marine and knows you or others would not like the idea, so if he can justify it others might be ok with it.

If he is a good guy, let him go. If there were more good guys in the services, there would be less chance of bad/wrong/illegal events occurring. Just tell him to keep his judgment and morals, and leave the rest up to God.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   
I'm not sure that cops are known to have a military background. Just from my own personal experience...the cops I know have never been in the military. College and a criminal justice degree and then straight to being a cop.

Where did he get the idea that being in the military would "fast track" him into being a cop??? Being stuck in the military for x amount of years doesn't sound like any type of fast track to anything...except a war zone. I don't know if they are still doing "stop loss"...but that "fast track" may turn into a very very "slow track". Plus..who knows what "wars" we will be in in 1 or 2 years.

I understand your concerns...but I'm wondering if this whole "fast track to be a cop" is just an excuse hiding another reason of his wanting to join. Because to me it doesn't make sense.

[edit on 8-5-2010 by OutKast Searcher]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Did I say that he was not entitled to give his opinion?

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

thanks for the support... (this is for all replies)

I think he is a good kid.... just brainwashed by a marine recruiter.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:08 AM
link   

My point was towards respecting your brother's "right" to his own decisions, not that you must respect that decision. See the difference? You cannot change his mind if he does not want to change it. You can only do that which you are doing - help him get all the information he needs to make an informed choice. After that, it's up to him.

[edit on 8-5-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Let him do what he wants, just give him your side of the story, and tell him why you don't want him to go.. Then if he still pursues that path, tell him may god be on your side..

Try convince him, that the wars are illegal, we all know it is, and tell him the situation in Afghanistan is getting worse..

Good luck on your mission

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Marines have a tough boot camp, it's no joke at all.

If he wants to, let him.

Don't be pushy, just make sure he really studies into it, like you would anything else.

I'm considering the Air Force, and have talked to members on here that are in it, and more in other fields.

Still deciding, just make sure he knows what he's getting into.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

thank you! you re-enforce my point! he doesn't see that! my older sister is a cop, never had military exp. someone brainwashed him into believing that he needs to join the marines to get into a police academy.

now his mind is on being a marine and nothing else. somehow i think it will fill a void in his life or something... a delusional void.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

Did I say that he was not entitled to give his opinion?

well maybe i misread this line "It matters not, that you agree or disagree. If you value your freedom to live your truth - than value his freedom to do the same. " i pretty much read that as don't tell him what you desire, just let him do whatever he wants,. but maybe I'm wrong there, i mean no disrespect to you, i just disagree with your wording i guess.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Have you tried telling him how scared it makes you. Explain to him how much he means to you and your family (hell, let the waterworks go). This might do the trick. If he still insists then print him off a constitution. Tell him that he will be required to take an oath to uphold it. Make sure that he understands that one day he may be called to "violate" your rights. Most important though, just tell him you love him. If you are like me then it is hard as hell to do, but you may get the results.

Good luck dude. You can't force him either way, but you can help him along regardless of his decision. Just make sure he remembers where he comes from.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
So Let him, made a man outta me!

If the only reason he wants to join is to be a cop...tell him to join the Air Force. I have experience w/ both sides, and being an Air Force MP is allot closer to being a civilian cop than being an MP in the Marines. Besides that, its 50/50 that he'd end up as a correctional MP in a brig instead of a "street" cop.
And being a correctional MP in a brig SUCKS (believe me, I know a few!) All they end up being are glorified babysitters for Marines how made a screw up of one sort or the other (75% being drug related or going UA(AWOL)

If he has any questions send me a PM, I'd be happy to answer them. I just got out at the end of 2008 so my experience should still be relevant. Or look around, their are a few active Marines on this forum I believe.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ugie1028
someone brainwashed him into believing that he needs to join the marines to get into a police academy.

Do you think that its impossible for someone to disagree with actions or aspects of the government or military and still want to be in government or the military?

I was in the service during the Iraq/Afghanistan war. After the fact, I determined that the reasons for Iraq, were likely wrong. However, once your there, you are responsible, you cant just leave because you were wrong. You make the mess, you clean it up.

The manner in which both occurred, was not constitutional, IMO. After 9/11, the US had a paradigm shift: the idea of a defensive first strike. I disagree with it, but its how the politicians decide to do things. They also decided to avoid political repercussions by funding a war and giving mandates, but never declaring war. I am considering going back despite all of this, and its the reason I gave earlier. I think more people of good character and morals need to be in the positions to keep bad things from happening.

[edit on 8-5-2010 by Wolf321]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join