reply to post by SeekerofTruth101
When SHTF ELE happens and you survive, your best asset is yourself and those whom you can trust.
1. Form a group and pool your resources.
2. Get to higher ground, with no virus or radiation or etc, but with arable land to grow crops and rear animals.
3. Ensure there is enough water supply.
4. Build defenses around your area, which should be of a size you can defend easily with simple weapons and traps.
5. Set up rules and laws so that each in your group will understand and cooperate.
6. Search for more survivors and help them to your community and expand it.
7. Rebuild civilisation.
Pretty much my plan in a nutshell.
1. I have my group pre-defined (my friends and family). We all know how to shoot, and all have a pretty diverse group of skills. I just hope most of
them can get here in a SHTF event, but they know they are welcome.
2. There isn't really any "high ground" in FL. I'll either be dead, or we'll survive it. As long as the land is still there, I'm certainly bunking
down on our ranch. We're working on getting a good garden going too.
3. We have a well, so we're good (and I'm devising other water stores).
4. Just a few acres, but with a small group, pretty defensible, and already have pretty much 3 layers of fencing to get to the house.
5. Still working on these. A lot of this would depend on the nature of the SHTF scenario, whether it was a short-term or long-term situation...but the
basics we've all kind of discussed.
6. Nice thing about being in the country is knowing your neighbors. Another thing, is that they are used to also being more self-reliant than average
7. If a long-term situation, there you go. My friends have kids, so we'll have a good generation mix (and diverse enough gene pool).
Of course, I hope we NEVER have to actually USE these plans....and it all depends on the nature of the SHTF event. My prep plans are pretty much more
for about 12-20 people surviving WELL for 3 months, with the flexibility of longer-term solutions. I do it under the guise of prepping for Hurricane
season (so each year, during Hurricane season, I have some good excuses to maintain, add to, our preparations). Or I occasionally joke about a Zombie
Apocalypse (not a real fear of mine) while we watch Walking Dead.
However, the added side of it, is increasing our self-reliance, and saving some money (like with the garden). Besides, gives us something to do with
the manure from horses! There are some real practical benefits NOW to being a "prepper". We can buy food in bulk, and have learned how to rotate it,
to keep things fresh, but always stocked. Most of my friends, although they know they can come here, really don't know the amount of thought and
planning I've put into it. I don't really advertise it (and only to my friends, and rather anonymously through this board). But, we've all agreed that
we need to be together as only a group will survive, and that I've got the best setup (location) for it.
You also learn how to do a lot more things yourself. I just added being a lawnmower mechanic to my resume over the weekend, after fixing it myself,
hehe... (Nice to have the do it yourself pride along with money saved too).
Precious metals, in my opinion, would be worthless in most scenarios. At least until the new civilization stabilizes somewhat, or in a temporary SHTF
scenario. Even then though, not worth the investment. I can see someone coming up and wanting to buy food from my group with gold....
I'd be like, "What else do you have?" (simply wouldn't have much use for it). (and he'd probably end up trading me some ammo or survival goods for
some of my food and cigarettes).
I mentioned it earlier, but cigarettes are my preferred thing to stock up on if a SHTF scenario is imminent. They are small, easy to carry, I have no
use for them, they are highly desired by addicts, and easily divisible. Everything you'd want in a currency.
edit on 18-6-2012 by Gazrok
because: (no reason given)