It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SA police chief 'prays' US are knocked out of World Cup

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   

South Africa's police chief is hoping the US team are knocked out of the football World Cup early on - to avoid a visit by President Barack Obama.

I know our police chief is an incompetent bufoon at best, but this latest statement is idiotic! He is worried about security - surely he should be making a more reassuring noises?

General Bheki Cele told MPs Mr Obama could fly in if the US make it to the knockout stage.

"Our famous prayer is that the Americans don't make the second round," he said, while insisting his forces could provide sufficient security.

He said 43 heads of state would go to South Africa for the Cup.

It is the first world cup being hosted by any African nation.

Link

From another news link:

General Bheki Cele told a parliamentary police committee meeting in Cape Town it was "50-50" whether Obama would visit Africa's first World Cup, but officials had been told that if the Americans make the knockout stage of the tournament then Obama might jet in.

"One challenge is the American president, who is coming, not coming, coming, not coming," Cele said. "It's 50-50 as we stand. ... Our famous prayer is that the Americans don't make the second round. They get eliminated and they go home."

Cele then paused and said, "Don't print that," to laughter from the audience that included members of parliament and police officials.

Associated Press

About General Cele:

Bheki Cele (born 22 April 1952) is the National Commissioner of the South African Police Service. He was appointed to this position in July 2009, replacing Jackie Selebi, who was suspended in January 2008 following charges of corruption. Previously he held the post of MEC for Transport, Safety and Security in KwaZulu-Natal.[1] He is a member of the African National Congress.

Wikipedia

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
The police cheif may be forgetting that american's don't care about soccer, sure it is played, but it it the least popular of most of the sports here.

I just don't get why the rest of the world is so crazy about it.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

It's not about that, it's about the fact the Pres Obama requires so much security - he is such a huge target, and we have already had threats from radical muslims.

Our police chief clearly doesn't think it is worth all the extra paperwork.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Because unlike many Americans the rest of the world is fairly sophisticated and intelligent. And obviously you have never played soccer. I played it all my life and it truly is the "beautiful" game. I've also been around europeans my whole life and it's sad how your average european is slightly more sophisticated than their American counterpart in many ways. Hence why European kids are usually smarter and better educated as well. I'm talking AVERAGES..........so don't get your panties in a twist. We have some intelligent people and kids in America...............but european kids have always seemed more mature.....although that is changing. Hence why kids in Europe can drink at 18 and why nudity isn't such a big deal over there.

Anyways, back to soccer..........not everything revolves around us here in America.........sorry but baseball is one of the most boring sports to watch. Basketball? Dominated by blacks and takes place inside. Football? A bunch of big beefy buffoons who run for a few minutes and again dominated by blacks. Most American sports except for hockey are dominated by blacks. Soccer is a sport that is dominated by all races. Hence one reason why I like it. Anyone can play a sport with their hands but when you can do it as well with your feet that requires TALENT!

Even Kobi Bryant was never as good of a soccer player as he is a basketball player and he has admitted it. He is a huge soccer fan by the way.

[edit on 8-5-2010 by Zosynspiracy]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

Appreciate the post, but please stick to topic - this is not a thread about what sport is better. Let's celebrate our differences and learn to embrace them with dignity.

One thing my dad taught me - never bring Sport, Religion, or another man's wife into an argument.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   

American's are not intelligent or sophisticated because they don't play soccer ??? wtf.

soccer is for high school girls and kids, actually my nephew plays it. but it has to be one of the most boring sports ever created, right up there with baseball and hockey.

anyway, .. my POINT, was that because soccer is not popular the police cheif doesn't have to worry because I don't think Obama would fly halfway around the world for a soccer game.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Soccer is so popular around the world for one major reason.

Its cheap to play.

All you need is a ball.

Thats the reason why wrestling is such a popular global sport also. Its very cheap to participate in.

On topic.

I think Obama has more pressing issues than going to Africa for a sporting event, well I hope anyways.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Hey, if I were the head of security for that looming disaster called the World Cup in South Africa, I wouldn't want Obama there either. That would just add to the headache tenfold. (And maybe the guy's just not a fan of the US team, and is hoping they tank).

But I wouldn't be shocked if Obama took more time off to check out a game or two if the US does well. He's taken plenty of breaks to golf, see some basketball games, weakly thrown out the first pitch, etc while the country heads to hell in a handbasket, why not see a soccer game or two?

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Can't really see any reason for the SA police to worry about the USA in the World Cup....

Its not like they are going to get past the group stages....

The 3 mighty Lions of England will make sure of that.....

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Haha let me guess you're a beer drinking, never played a sport in your life "football" fan right?
Soccer players are some of the best conditioned athletes in the world. Hence why you'll never see one out of shape. Look at baseball and football players. Football players would be nothing without their fancy pads and helmets. In fact without helmets football wouldn't even exist. They'd all be retards by the time they reached their 30's. You watch clips of old football players with leather helmets and you'll see a huge difference in how it was played. So yeah you're right soccer only takes a ball to play.......hence why it requires more skill to play as well. You put a football in the hands of a soccer player and throw them in a helmet and pads and they wouldn't look to bad. Now give a soccer ball to a bunch of football players and you'd have a circus on your hands. I guarantee you at 6'5 250 lbs of ex soccer now turned rugby playing powerlifter I could prove to you that soccer is hardly a sport for kids and girls. Wanna throw a football around tough guy?

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   

There you go again jumping to conclusions and raging around just because you like to watch guys running around in little shorts scoring a goal every 45 minutes.

all I said was soccer wasn't popular and you go off into a rampage, why are you talking about football ?? I don't even like football, and I dont drink so go kick a ball on your knee untill you calm down.

I enjoy true contact sports like MMA and boxing.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Disclosure Agent
Can't really see any reason for the SA police to worry about the USA in the World Cup....

Its not like they are going to get past the group stages....

The 3 mighty Lions of England will make sure of that.....

haha I beg to differ. Mark my words, US will make it past the group stage. Soccer is the best sport in the world, idk what the two people above are talking about. Probably don't know much about sports. Typical ignorant American attitude: "Soccer is for girls and kids." Just the typical response to a sport American's aren't good at so they try and make it seem like an inferior sport. Even that statement is retarded though. Soccer is gonna get huge here soon, American's are getting better every year and to be in the top 20 of rankings, 14 to be more exact, in a sport that virtually the whole world plays says something. To be a better team than our Mexican neighbors who have always been a football country says even more. I don't think the other guy knows what he's talking about either. Soccer = maturity and intelligence? ummmm ok....? So I'm guessing you wouldn't know about all the racism in European soccer. Sorry, but as racist of a country as we are here, we don't go around chanting racist songs towards players in our leagues over here nor do our players salute those racist idiots in the stands. So if that's your idea of maturity and intelligence then I guess there's no winning with you. Who cares who dominates any sport anyway? Again, must not know much about sports. NFL is not just dominated by blacks. Samoans have a higher chance of making it to the NFL than any other group. Europeans have produced some of the best players in the NBA and are getting even bigger. Why the heck do you think Ricky Rubio was being such a turd about where he plays? Because he's good and knows he can get what he wants. As for baseball, well it's dominated by just about all groups. Soccer has a lot of great players of color too and some of the best are black.

So I think South Africa does have to start worrying about security. I really don't think South Africa was the best choice to host a world cup and I'm sure FIFA realized it now since they got rid of the rotation after Brazil in 2014. I'm expecting the same problems in 2014. Crime is a major factor in South Africa and Brazil and I think overall security is gonna be a problem for everyone, not just Obama. I don't think hooliganism is gonna be as big of a factor this year so I'm sure they're more worried about other factors.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Dude, it's obvious you don't know much about soccer so why not just not say anything and stick to the OP's topic?

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy88

I NEVER SAID SOCCER = MATURITY AND INTELLIGENCE! I was saying as a soccer player and a very accomplished one at that I had the opportunity to play abroad and my father was european and spoke 5 languages. In general because of those experiences I found europeans to be slightly more sophisticated and intelligent than their American counterparts. Your average American can barely speak English correctly. Many europeans can speak english and sometimes one or two more languages.

Soccer is a truly wordly sport.........that was my point. Not everything revolves around America and American likes and dislikes. You're average American sports fan is a beer drinking , out of shape neanderthal. Especialy football fans. They are the biggest idiots I've ever seen. Just go to an American football game and you'll see. Yes soccer has its hooligans but my god............at least the average European fan isn't an obese whale.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Oh brother.......and if you know anything about REAL fighting you'd know neither are indicative of what happens in a street fight. There are RULES in MMA and especially boxing. And MMA is one of the stupidest sports around. These guy act like because what they do in a ring with rules and a nice soft mat to roll around on they are automatic bad arses in real life. Most are a bunch of punks with no class and no talent except grounding and pounding each other into submission. And fans like you actually pay hard earned money to watch that crap. Boxing has been a joke for a long time. I used to love boxing but as soon as heavyweight boxing became a joke I stopped watching.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Ok, I'm American and speak 3 languages, what's the point? I'm an American sports fan and I enjoy drinking while watching a game so again, what's your point? You say you played and lived in Europe so what the heck, at what point did you miss your Euro friends drinking before and after the game? Oh yeah, and I love football and still I'm not a fat neanderthal? I'm pretty sure none of my friends are obese neanderthals...

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Oh brother Somoans? LMAO! Yeah right.........you obviously don't watch much American football. Name one top 10 NFL draft pick who's Somoan?

There are a handful of actual Somoan NFL players i.e. less than 50. And there are some that have Somoan heritage i.e. but all speed positions are dominated by blacks and speed positions are what score touchdowns.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Of course there's rules, what do you expect? "Alright guys, I want a nice clean fight to the death. Please throw kidney punches, low blows and don't forget to go for the jugular." I'm sure you wouldn't want to step in the ring with or encounter any one of those athletes out on the street.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   

dude, I can't sit here and argue with you anymore, your either beyond ignorant or just drunk.

your assumptions and claims are a testament to that.

who's talking about street fighting ???

have u ever met an mma fighter ?? why do you think they act like bad arses in real life ??

why are they " punks" with no talent ??

yeah, I'm gonna go with drunk on this one.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   

I'm 6'5 250 lbs and have trained under David James out of NYC for years. So yes I've actually met and trained with MMA fighters. I grappled with two of the Gracie brothers and Ken Shamrock's brother.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join