It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where Would the dead Cosmonauts be now?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Well I think the Radiation belt is the stopper. The Russian didn't stop trying to go the moon till 1980. I'm sure it dampered off much earlier than that, that's just when they officially ended it. I honestly don't know why we haven't gone back (or to it for the first time) yet. It honestly makes no sense that this has been nasa's goal for the last 10 years, and they can't do it. Yet they did it in the 60's with the same amount of time. I say F@@& it. crank up that old saturn 5 in houston. Prep that module in the air museum, and let go. It should be that easy. Nasa needs to just get there in my opinion, no mission objectives, just get back cause people are really doubting they can do it. NASA somehows makes the most fascinating and awesome job on the planet, so so so so boring. have you ever watched the NASA channel on satellite tv. Christ it's boring.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by MKultraVideos
Well I think the Radiation belt is the stopper. The Russian didn't stop trying to go the moon till 1980. I'm sure it dampered off much earlier than that, that's just when they officially ended it. I honestly don't know why we haven't gone back (or to it for the first time) yet. It honestly makes no sense that this has been nasa's goal for the last 10 years, and they can't do it. Yet they did it in the 60's with the same amount of time. I say F@@& it. crank up that old saturn 5 in houston. Prep that module in the air museum, and let go. It should be that easy. Nasa needs to just get there in my opinion, no mission objectives, just get back cause people are really doubting they can do it. NASA somehows makes the most fascinating and awesome job on the planet, so so so so boring. have you ever watched the NASA channel on satellite tv. Christ it's boring.

Yes I have heard of the radiation dilemma but as you say there is no reason not to have gone back, or at least for the russians to have done it once?
In the time of the first landing we mostlly had only black and white TV in Australia, computers were the sze of large fridges(the portable ones)(computers that is) almost every technological area has advenced since the first moon landing yet we cannot replicate it in 2010.
The Russians cannot, the wily Japanese cant, the Chinese cant,
the USA cant.
Something is very odd.
On a side note why cuss christ?
Would you risk offending Jews or muslims by cussing their sacred figures?
Just a little bit of respect for us Christians would be good

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Not too much info on this one but I always found this one interesting. Highly unlikely but who really knows?

KGB Dwarf Phantom cosmonaut. . Died October 1971.
Personal: Male. Reportedly died on a suicide mission to the lunar surface; drove the Lunokhod lunar rover.

Astronaut Career

Astronaut Group: Phantom Cosmonaut.

The feat of remotely driving the unmanned Lunokhod lunar rover around the lunar surface must have seemed a bit beyond Soviet technology for some Muscovites. So an urban legend was put about that the diminutive Lunokhod was actually driven by a midget KGB agent on a one-way suicide mission to the lunar surface. How sufficient provisions were packed into the tiny rover during its eleven month mission was not explained...

www.astronautix.com...

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
The moon should be outfitted with Holographic projectors and used as an advertising sign. Worldwide advertisements about beer, chips, cars or whatever

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Conspire
My understanding was the Russians made several failed attempts one made it but never returned ie they died on the moon.
I apologise if iam wrong.

you see that information wouldn't that have scared the USA from sending their astronauts? Might as well just fake it and call it a day.

just poor cosmonauts. RIP

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Nutzoid

Ya know I heard of something along those lines that has either been done or thought of before.

I cant remember though Ill look it up. It was done/thought of using earth based tech with nothing needed on the moon.

Here is a lil something..www.moonpublicity.com...

K I gotta go back to work now.

[edit on 9-5-2010 by Hellsmight]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Thank you, Dr Conspire! I appreciate those who stand up to people up to using Christ's name in vain. At times I've wanted to "Holy Shi'ite!" but then that probably would deeply offend someone, and it might be "off with her head" if not figuratively, literally.

But, SM, I do agree with you in that watching the NASA channel is sometimes like watching grass grow.

From the reading I've done, James Oberg has done some excellent research regarding "lost comsonauts". While it is very possible that there is a Russian space craft set to cross beyond the sun due to some navigational or faulty equipment, it hasn't been proven. It is very possible though. The body (bodies?) will have been perfectly preserved at -460F. Without O2 the decay process is impeded. It is kind of sad that there might be someone out there who has been traveling away from the earth in the far reaches of the solar system.

NASA should have been thinking about the next space vehicle LONG, LONG before now. We have an aging shuttle flight with only 3 more flights - next launch will be May 15 at 2:20 Eastern Daylight time. If I"m not mistaken, this will be the last flight for Atlantis. We are retiring the fleet and have NO US capacities to get to the ISS. With Obama talking out the both sides of his mouth, it could be decades before we have US transportation to the ISS. The Russians raised their prices for all international astronauts (space fliers?) by double. Obama did restore Orion at one point, but that killed the Constellation program - which means no moon or Mars for a LONG, long time. When hubby and I toured KSC three years ago, they didn't even show a prototype on their brochures. Very sad and Obama is doing his darn best to eventually dismantle NASA. Study global warming??? Isn't that what NOAA is doing?

It just ticks me off that my child probably isn't going to see anyone travel off the planet, maybe her lifetime. There won't be another reputable space vehicle for 30 years, I think.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I have no intention of getting into the whole "we didn't land on the moon" thing.

The Soviets never went to the moon.

The biggest problem with human bodies in space is the lack of pressurization. Even in space suits, the body takes a bit of a beating. However, as the spacesuit would diminish, even a single small disruption in the suit's integrity would cause a complete loss of pressurization. With human tissues exposed to the micro-pressurization of space, typically about o.7 PSI, the tissues would RAPIDLY deteriorate. Even in the absence of a suit degredation, without renewable pressurization sources, the low pressue would cause a more rapid deterioration of human tissues, in spite of the very cold temperatures.

Even the shuttle astronauts only have a seven minute emergency supply of oxygen to maintain pressure in case of a dime-sized hole that might develop during an EVA.

BTW, we DID go to the moon!!!

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
There was some Cosmonauts that died in space (kind of). They were in orbit and shortly after they did a de-orbit burn radio contact was lost. After the capsule was recovered they were found dead. There had been a pressure leak on the way back from orbit. That is the on Cosmonauts that I know of that died in space or even close to it.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Well I think the Radiation belt is the stopper.

Nope.

Cosmic radiation measurements using nuclear emulsions on board the ZOND-5 and 7 automatic stations,
by Blashkovsky, V A ; Ostroumov, V I ; Smirenny, L N ; Volkov, A A Presented at : International Congress on Protection Against Accelerator and Space Radiation, v.1, Geneva, Switzerland, 26 - 30 Apr 1971

"The comparison of the dosage evaluations with the permissible values allows the conclusion that, should no solar flares occurs (sic), seven-day flights along the trajectories of Zond-5 and 7 probes are safe from the radiation point of view."

(The Zond spacecraft were stripped-down Soyuz capsules that represented the Soviet Union's best chance to get men to the Moon. They did not have enough fuel to go into lunar orbit. Instead. they looped around the Moon and came back to Earth on a free-return trajectory. Chronically underfunded (like the rest of the Soviet manned lunar program - and today's NASA), they did not work the bugs out before the Americans had beaten them to the Moon with the more dramatic lunar orbital flight of Apollo 8.)

The Russian didn't stop trying to go the moon till 1980. I'm sure it dampered off much earlier than that, that's just when they officially ended it.

Well, "officially" the Soviets never said they were going.

The Real Moon Landing Hoax

also

Why did the Soviet Union lose the Moon Race?

I honestly don't know why we haven't gone back ... NASA somehows makes the most fascinating and awesome job on the planet, so so so so boring. have you ever watched the NASA channel on satellite tv. Christ it's boring.

You answered your own question. The later televised EVAs were six hours a day, for three days each mission, of two guys doing field geology. People got bored, yes, of live television from the Moon! "To boldly go where no one has gone before" sounds awesome, but real exploration is a lot of grunt-work that simply isn't the most exciting thing to watch live.

Governments are great at spending incredible amounts of money with nobody noticing. I'll bet you've never heard of the Office of Personnel Management. Their budget is three-and-a-half times as much as NASA's (source) and I have no idea what they do. From a public relations standpoint, NASA's problem is that people do notice when they spend money - especially when the result goes *kaboom* - then everyone wants to know why they (this small, underfunded, but highly visible agency) spend so much money when inner city kids can't even afford good quality weed.

People like you and me long to see the future, to feel the thrill of stepping into the unknown, to know that we as a people are going somewhere... Let me tell you: That's what it felt like during the Apollo years. We built a Bridge to the Moon but the Mundanes - Joe Six-Pack and his TV-addicted kids tore it down because, "Christ, its boring."

Nowadays, when those of us who remember try to inspire others with the achievements of the Space Age, we are confronted by ignorant internet pukes who claim it never happened.

Disgusting...

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Yes I have heard of the radiation dilemma but as you say there is no reason not to have gone back, or at least for the russians to have done it once?
In the time of the first landing we mostlly had only black and white TV in Australia, computers were the sze of large fridges(the portable ones)(computers that is) almost every technological area has advenced since the first moon landing yet we cannot replicate it in 2010.
The Russians cannot, the wily Japanese cant, the Chinese cant,
the USA cant.
Something is very odd.

Ummm yes we can, we don't because it takes ALOT of funding to go to the moon. There's been more than one manned lunar landing. sorry to disappoint.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Perhaps the reason is that mundane,but lets hope that is the real reason.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Perhaps the following archived copy of a 1965 Reader's Digest article is the source of the "Lost Cosmonauts"...

The Lost Cosmonauts

By the way, space is a very cold and no oxygen environment, and the lost individuals would likely be preserved in a very frozen state.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I've heard it said that the Russians were more secretive about their missions than the Americans, especially the earlier ones.

One that I read about (not sure how much truth there was to it) was a cosmonaut who was to do a few orbits of Earth and return, well things didn't go to plan! - A couple of Polish guys (brothers) were into radio as a hobby, they built a receiver and from the roofs of buildings they would monitor the missions and tape record them. They recorded the whole thing, the rocket left the atmosphere and basically kept on going, the maths was all wrong and it completely over shot it's entry into orbit...

They said that tracking the source of the signal and monitoring it's strength it seemed as if it was simply going straight off into space with the signal getting weaker and weaker.

So yes I think it is quite possible for there to be at least one human corpse drifting around the solar system (maybe even left the system by now? - that's a very slim but still possible idea).

As for the condition of the corpse, well just say this guy did suffocate in his capsule, odds are the body would not be in very good shape, he may of dies fairly quickly but there is still an environment for all the micro organisms to survive in, decomposition would happen pretty much the same as being buried in a coffin... I suppose the same would be true for just a space suit that ran out of breathable air.

Decompression would give better results, and sudden exposure to the cold... But then there are other factors such as extremes of heat and cold, a spinning object would have one side exposed to the sun and the other not... Then there is radiation, and oh yhea, space vultures that will peck at your eyes!

Still if you've got to go somehow, I don't think drifting in space is all that bad, a million times better than a cheep ass overpriced coffin in a soon to be overgrown and forgotten corner of a grave yard.

edit:

Originally posted by maxwell-smart
Perhaps the following archived copy of a 1965 Reader's Digest article is the source of the "Lost Cosmonauts"...

The Lost Cosmonauts

By the way, space is a very cold and no oxygen environment, and the lost individuals would likely be preserved in a very frozen state.

That's the one I was refering to! From memory tho, so Italians and not Polish
- But as you can see from my post I don't really agree that the body would be all that well preserved, if the capsule retained any level of atmosphere for any length of time then decomposition would occur, of course the decomposition activity would tail off soon enough, but there will be weeks or even months where there will be some level of activity... I don't have any idea how well the capsule would retain heat tho, of course once the temp gets to around zero C then that activity would all but stop.

[edit on 28/5/2010 by Now_Then]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
I've heard it said that the Russians were more secretive about their missions than the Americans, especially the earlier ones.

One that I read about (not sure how much truth there was to it) was a cosmonaut who was to do a few orbits of Earth and return, well things didn't go to plan! - A couple of Polish guys (brothers) were into radio as a hobby, they built a receiver and from the roofs of buildings they would monitor the missions and tape record them. They recorded the whole thing, the rocket left the atmosphere and basically kept on going, the maths was all wrong and it completely over shot it's entry into orbit...

They said that tracking the source of the signal and monitoring it's strength it seemed as if it was simply going straight off into space with the signal getting weaker and weaker.

So yes I think it is quite possible for there to be at least one human corpse drifting around the solar system (maybe even left the system by now? - that's a very slim but still possible idea).

As for the condition of the corpse, well just say this guy did suffocate in his capsule, odds are the body would not be in very good shape, he may of dies fairly quickly but there is still an environment for all the micro organisms to survive in, decomposition would happen pretty much the same as being buried in a coffin... I suppose the same would be true for just a space suit that ran out of breathable air.

Decompression would give better results, and sudden exposure to the cold... But then there are other factors such as extremes of heat and cold, a spinning object would have one side exposed to the sun and the other not... Then there is radiation, and oh yhea, space vultures that will peck at your eyes!

Still if you've got to go somehow, I don't think drifting in space is all that bad, a million times better than a cheep ass overpriced coffin in a soon to be overgrown and forgotten corner of a grave yard.

Thanks I think thats what i was getting at in my OP , not the did the Cosmonauts land on the moon thing.
You say that decomposition would kick in, but would it behave differently?
A vaccum is space after all?
I had this notion that the body would be preserved forever travelling the universe.( a body in a spacesuit not a ship)
Would aliens on another planet get a surprise if they saw the body floating by?
Has anyone perhaps" dead' being put into space to be obseved by say tethering it to the ISS where the body is unsuited in a vaccum?
It suely would be of scientific value.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by Dr Conspire]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   

I had this notion that the body would be preserved forever travelling the universe.( a body in a spacesuit not a ship)

Well I think decomposition would stop fairly soon, but it will happen to a certain extent... Really depends on the exact circumstances... Once that equilibrium has been reached in terms of the vacuum and coldness then yes is would preserve from that point... But remember the body is complex and there will be pockets of gas, in the gut for example, that may hold gasses and organisms, the reactions could even generate pockets of warmth to sustain the organisms for a time.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Well I think decomposition would stop fairly soon, but it will happen to a certain extent... Really depends on the exact circumstances... Once that equilibrium has been reached in terms of the vacuum and coldness then yes is would preserve from that point... But remember the body is complex and there will be pockets of gas, in the gut for example, that may hold gasses and organisms, the reactions could even generate pockets of warmth to sustain the organisms for a time.

Would the organisms perhaps mutate into a space virus perhaps?
I would be very suprised if the scientific community havent put a dead corpse into pac eto find these things out?
Perhaps on the moon?
Does anyone know if dead monkeys in space may have been subjects of experiments?
I hope not , but it seems likely.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellsmight
reply to post by Dr Conspire

Holy crap that would blow....god I would at least hope they had a cyanide tablet.

Belive it or not the Russians actually take hand guns in to space with them. The reason is so they can blow their brains out if they get in a situation like this. Intersting to think about the Russians hijacking ISS at gun point or some other kind of gun play that could really happen in space.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by fieryjaguarpaw

Originally posted by Hellsmight
reply to post by Dr Conspire

Holy crap that would blow....god I would at least hope they had a cyanide tablet.

Belive it or not the Russians actually take hand guns in to space with them. The reason is so they can blow their brains out if they get in a situation like this. Intersting to think about the Russians hijacking ISS at gun point or some other kind of gun play that could really happen in space.

Ya imagine a game of Russian Roulette on the iSS with the loser being tethered to the ISS by his major intestine , with the other crew studying the decay in space syndrome.
But seriously it would be interesting to have an Eternal astro or cosmo or nipponaut orbiting Earth in his spacesuit .
Kids could say hey Dad I can see the man in orbit.
That sort of thing could add romance to the stale space program?
We could in fact have a ring aroun the Earth of dead human beings in suits or perhaps just in their national costumes, yes a multicultural ring of corpses spaced a hundred miles apart...forever circling us .

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   

We have found mummified bodies buried in desert sands that have survived significant decomposition because it was so dry that all the water creatures that feed on decomposing bodies need wasn't there.

If a body ion space had much exposure to sunlight I have little doubt it would eventually end up the same way..space is very "dry" so to speak so if there's any temperature at all the water in the body can sublimate into water vapor.

If however the body was never exposed to temperature or sunlight, such as inside a crater near the south pole of the moon which never gets sunlight, Then I don't see how the water would sublimate or it would take a really long time to sublimate, maybe decades or centuries. So it would be kind of preserved, like putting a body in a freezer or the woolly mammoths preserved in ice.

Those two Italians intercepting radio transmissions really started up some rumors didn't they? But some of their information was factual. They actually got invited to NASA and NASA got them to reveal some of the secret frequencies they were using to eavesdrop on the Russians which supposedly NASA didn't know about.

www.forteantimes.com...

James Morrison, NASA’s Space Programmes Technical Director arrived minutes later. “I’ll be darned!” he exclaimed. “How did you do this?!” Turning to Haussman, he said, “We should be more careful; if they intercepted it so can the Russians.”

A few minutes later the room was packed and the two boys found themselves discussing orbits with America’s top scientists – their dreams really had come true.

The next part of their story has remained secret to this day.

Many sceptics have argued that it was impossible for the brothers to have listened into so many Russian space missions. It may be, as some have claimed, that the brothers sometimes felt under press­ure to produce results and were tempted to satisfy the insatiable popular demand for space stories by fabricating sensational new recordings. It’s unlikely, for example, that the soft beating sounds they once recorded were really a cosmonaut’s heartbeat as they claimed; heartbeats were broadcast from the capsules, but as electrical signals which sounded like static.

But it’s also true that the Russians always made every effort to keep their disasters secret. In April 1967, Vladimir Komarov died when Soyuz 1 crashed on re-entry due to a design fault. His ship was a prototype of the one Russia hoped to send to the Moon, but had been plagued with major design problems from the start. Not wishing to reveal their mistake, the Russians said that Komarov’s parachute had simply failed on re-entry. Some accounts suggest that the Bochum tracking station, part of the Zeus network, overheard Komarov cursing the ship’s designers while he was still in orbit.

Experts now accept that the brothers did record some Russian and American space missions, but that their interpretations weren’t always accurate.

NASA knew exactly what they had accomplished back in 1964 and wanted all their information. But the brothers wanted something in exchange: “We were missing two frequencies used by the Soviets and we wanted to know if NASA had them. The problem was that NASA didn’t really trust us!”

Eventually, they decided on a straightforward swap. In total silence they began passing pieces of paper back and forth. Achille recalled: “When I finished writing the first frequency, Haussman said to me with a half smile: ‘Correct.’”

“Now,” Gian said, “it’s our turn.” The man handed them a piece of paper. “I was disappointed because we already had that one.”

NASA didn’t have the next two frequencies that the Judica-Cordiglias gave them. NASA Director Harry J Goett told them: “You guys have done a remarkable job.”

“Then, when NASA gave us the third and fourth frequencies, they were totally new!” said Gian. “We shook hands and then practically ran from the building.” The brothers bear-hugged and danced in the street out of sheer joy at what they had accomplished.

That frequency exchange is my favorite part of the story and had been secret a very long time. Is it true? I don't know but it sounds good.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join