It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US: President's Cancer Panel Says: EAT ORGANIC!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
May 6, 2010

President's Cancer Panel 2009 Report:

Environmentally caused cancers are 'grossly underestimated' and 'needlessly devastate American lives.'

Full PDF Report:
200 page report PDF

Dear Mr. President:

Though overall cancer incidence and mortality have continued to decline in recent years, the disease continues to devastate the lives of far too many Americans. In 2009 alone, approximately 1.5 million American men, women, and children were diagnosed with cancer, and 562,000 died from the disease. With the growing body of evidence linking environmental exposures to cancer, the public is becoming increasingly aware of the unacceptable burden of cancer resulting from environmental and occupational exposures that could have been prevented through appropriate national action.

What Individuals Can Do:

At the same time, individuals can take important steps in their own lives to reduce their exposure to environmental elements that increase risk for cancer and other diseases. And collectively, individual small actions can drastically reduce the number and levels of environmental contaminants.
[]
For example:
[]
• Storing and carrying water in stainless steel, glass, or BPA- and phthalate-free containers will reduce exposure to endocrine-disrupting and other chemicals that may leach into water from plastics.
[]

• Exposure to pesticides can be decreased BY CHOOSING, TO THE EXTENT POSSIBLE, FOOD GROWN WITHOUT PESTICIDES OR CHEMICAL FERTILIZERS (editorial emphasis)[] Similarly, exposure to antibiotics, growth hormones, and toxic run-off from livestock feed lots can be minimized by eating free-range meat raised without these medications if it is available.

also here:

www.nytimes.com...

New Alarm Bells About Chemicals and Cancer

By NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF
Published: May 5, 2010

Traditionally, we reduce cancer risks through regular doctor visits, self-examinations and screenings such as mammograms. The President’s Cancer Panel suggests other eye-opening steps as well, such as giving preference to organic food, checking radon levels in the home and microwaving food in glass containers rather than plastic.

In particular, the report warns about exposures to chemicals during pregnancy, when risk of damage seems to be greatest. Noting that 300 contaminants have been detected in umbilical cord blood of newborn babies, the study warns that: “to a disturbing extent, babies are born ‘pre-polluted.’ ”

For those of us with our eyes already pinned wide open to the environmental element of cancer... it is good to know we now have an ally on our side as formidable as the President's Cancer Panel.

Reporting,

Sri Oracle

[edit on 7-5-2010 by Sri Oracle]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
This is great news. My eyes are slowly opening after refusing to see the truth. I am a very lazy person who loves fast food but i am trying hard to limit the amount of fast food i eat.

I grew up spoiled and ate fast food a lot because i was a picky eater and mainly ate hot dogs and hamburgers, probably two of the worst foods to eat.

One of the biggest problems with processed food compared to organic food is the price of it. There have been many times recently in my life where buying organic is out of the question because i can only afford ramen noodles, which is probably death soup.

I am glad to say that i am atleast trying to eat healthier and plan on going fully organic soon! Since the FDA and government does not care about our health and after realizing this, i guess i will have to force myself into switching. I just feel bad for the poor folks out there like me who will never consider going organic or eating healthier

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
BUT, when all efforts fail to save the US economy, the US President's panel should also advise that eating anything you can find will do when we have no more money to feed you.

Cannibalism should also be kept on the president's table as an extreme option.

Feeding 300 MILLION people will be quite a challenge for our president.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by BeastMaster2012
One of the biggest problems with processed food compared to organic food is the price of it. There have been many times recently in my life where buying organic is out of the question because i can only afford ramen noodles, which is probably death soup.

I am a member of an organic food buying club of 50 families that purchases at wholesale through UNFI (United Natural Foods International). There are buyer's clubs nation wide, usually within 30 miles of your home. Stick to the basics... rice, beans, produce, grains... and cook from scratch. I feed a family of three for less than $500/mo everything certified organic or produced locally. Don't neglect the backyard micro garden option either!

There is nothing that cannot be afforded with the proper will power; seek and ye shall...

Sri Oracle

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Organic foods?

I eat nothing but the best quality highly manipulated and engineered plant and animals.

Monsanto is here to save us.

Repeat after me
Monsanto, Monsanto, Monsanto, Monsanto, Monsanto...

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Organic eh, just what a foreign born usurper would want you to think.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Hmm, no mention of GMO, MSG, alkaline?

Having grown up on an orchard, to be organic the plants would have to have a clean water supply and be grown no where close to inorganic farms. That's a tough one. I suspect "Organic" is slowly getting a meaning somewhat different than "Pesticide free". Here's the Codes standard for it. ftp.fao.org...

This may be good news or may be part of a codex alimentarius setup. It may be the introduction of a rational for greater control of the small farmer by forcing the growers to be "compatible" with a standard. Like the movie "Food Incorporated" where the chicken farmers for monsanto ended up with large amounts of debt leverage against them to stay in business.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Sri Oracle

The much bigger picture here is the effects caused from these pesticides and food additives are not limited to only cancer. These poisons can be attributed to most all disease, physical and mental as well. One of them with great importance of late being obesity. Obesity alone can lead to many major health threats and can be arguably linked directly to this being the cause.

I have personally witnessed the immediate and significant resulting weight loss from simply turning towards an organic only diet. When consuming only organic foods you not only shed excess body weight, but can do so while increasing overall food intake in the process. You can literally eat as much of anything you please without even minutely hindering weight loss effects. I've witnessed this first hand twice now and swear by it. Skeptics need only try this for 6-8 months for absolute proof.

Edit to clarify the meaning of organic foods as those free of added adulterants. Either grown or raised without the aid of unnatural methods, or substances, to speed, preserve, protect or manage in any way the growth and overall development of a food product.

For those that wish to dissect and discredit the term organic I'll try to keep it simple? Organic food is that which has been produced by methods best suited for retaining it's highest nutritional value, period. Anything added to food that would threaten, or sacrifice, this in any way...i/e pesticides, preservatives, hormones, flavorings, colorings, etc... would not be organic.

And please refrain from stating that everything is organic. That's just tired and childish.

[edit on 5/7/2010 by Zerbst]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Organic foods?

I eat nothing but the best quality highly manipulated and engineered plant and animals.

Monsanto is here to save us.

Repeat after me
Monsanto, Monsanto, Monsanto, Monsanto, Monsanto...

There is little to find funny about this entire situation? This attitude is a dangerous one. We are talking about the possibility of destroying an entire planets food supply? Allowing the mutation of food seed that has the potential to destroy all natural seed forever is serious, especially without fully knowing the consequences of it.

The only funny thing here is the strange kind that constantly shows the ignorant view is always the most popular one? This is why you're always wondering why you're wondering why, yet you will still wonder. Why?

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zerbst
Edit to clarify the meaning of organic foods as those free of added adulterants. Either grown or raised without the aid of unnatural methods, or substances, to speed, preserve, protect or manage in any way the growth and overall development of a food product.

For those that wish to dissect and discredit the term organic I'll try to keep it simple? Organic food is that which has been produced by methods best suited for retaining it's highest nutritional value, period. Anything added to food that would threaten, or sacrifice, this in any way...i/e pesticides, preservatives, hormones, flavorings, colorings, etc... would not be organic.

I just want to point out something that i don't believe is a nitpick. Your definition of organic is not the same definition the law lets our grocery stores use. THAT is the problem.

While I agree that limiting the intake of poisons is a good thing (how can it not be?), the problem is pesticides used on organic food are required to be organic pesticides. These are more toxic than man-made pesticides (talking modern day here, not the DDT days).

Because the legal defintion is not the same as what you intend, a person taking your advice, going to the store to "buy organic" is not getting what you are informing them about. The word "organic" has been bastardized by corporations and the government. It is no fault of yours, but really - a new term needs to be made to prevent confusion. What you are suggesting people to consume is not possible to buy for a majority, and not everyone has a garden.

Edit: I would also like to point out that the OP's link does not call the food referenced in it "organic". However, if you do a search on "organic", it has plenty of sections talking about the organic poisons in our food supply.

[edit on 2010/5/9 by TLomon]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by TLomon
I just want to point out something that i don't believe is a nitpick. Your definition of organic is not the same definition the law lets our grocery stores use. THAT is the problem.
[]
pesticides used on organic food are required to be organic pesticides. These are more toxic than man-made pesticides
[]
The word "organic" has been bastardized by corporations and the government.

All very true; one can easily make a case against the use of many OMRI listed organic farming options.

Note I did not entitle the thread "EAT USDA ORGANIC" I was using the word "organic" in its spiritual LAWFUL sense; free of needless toxins/high nutritional content per calorie. The LEGAL, man's law, is always a factualized version of the TRUTH.

In making personal choices about the quality of my food I take many factors into account; this is the personal element of "eating organic"; making the personal call between whether a certified organic apple from a farm you've never heard of, located many diesel miles away, is any better than a local apple from a neighbour who uses "few pesticides". Its all grey area. Personally, what I believe important is that you "SEEK" to spiritually "EAT ORGANIC"; and then consider the metaphysical and physical pathways by which your food arrived at your table. Given the choice between a USDA organic bag of ww flour and a bag of locally stone ground ww, grower attested "pure" for a few cents more per pound... I'm picking the artesian wheat. Surely through seeking the higher path your diet will be better off; you won't be eating wonder bread... and with prolonged practice, I suspect (and hope) you'll end up wandering endlessly through a magical garden where little of this conversation will ever matter again.

emancipate yourself from mental slavery; eat organic;

in spirit,

Sri Oracle

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReelView
I suspect "Organic" is slowly getting a meaning somewhat different than "Pesticide free".

"Organic" never meant "pesticide free."

Organic is about molecular structures that have a carbon basis. That detail doesn't fly with the ma and pa shops and with the urban hillbillies. "Hey Vern! Do you know if this can of soup has organic carbon based structures growing in it? I don't see anything in the ingredients, but maybe I can't read this word. Don't want to have to turn the shotgun on myself becoming one of those green space zombies."

Easier to think of a organic food as non-synthetic. Due to regulations, it also has gained a meaning for a more natural treatment of food sources (to ensure they are non-synthetic).

[edit on 15-5-2010 by dzonatas]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
The last time the governemnt began giving nutritional advice, obesity, heart disease and diabetes rose to epiemic proportions, dietary fat was demonized and carbohydrates were the cure for the aforementioned diseases.

The much bigger picture here is the effects caused from these pesticides and food additives are not limited to only cancer. These poisons can be attributed to most all disease, physical and mental as well. One of them with great importance of late being obesity. Obesity alone can lead to many major health threats and can be arguably linked directly to this being the cause.

Obesity was becoming a problem long before GMO's were being produced. Since I haven't seen any real evidence of such a claim, can you please provide some source or reference that I can review? Or perhaps the mechanism that describes how obesity is caused by GMO's?

I have personally witnessed the immediate and significant resulting weight loss from simply turning towards an organic only diet. When consuming only organic foods you not only shed excess body weight, but can do so while increasing overall food intake in the process. You can literally eat as much of anything you please without even minutely hindering weight loss effects. I've witnessed this first hand twice now and swear by it. Skeptics need only try this for 6-8 months for absolute proof.

How much weight did you lose in 8 months? And what OTHER dietary/exercise habits did you change?

-Dev

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd
The last time the governemnt began giving nutritional advice, obesity, heart disease and diabetes rose to epiemic proportions, dietary fat was demonized and carbohydrates were the cure for the aforementioned diseases.

Obesity was becoming a problem long before GMO's were being produced. Since I haven't seen any real evidence of such a claim, can you please provide some source or reference that I can review? Or perhaps the mechanism that describes how obesity is caused by GMO's?

How much weight did you lose in 8 months? And what OTHER dietary/exercise habits did you change?

-Dev

I firmly believe that most, if not all, excess weight is a direct cause of food additives. Not so much from GMO's, but from things like preservatives and various other non nutritional ingredients. I think the human body has difficulty in processing and purging these foreign toxins from its system? Over time these substances somehow disrupt the digestive systems normal functioning and cause many issues including weight gain. While this is only my opinion, I have witnessed proof supporting it.

I have witnessed substantial weight loss in two individuals so far. Both of them are women that lost 25-40 pounds within a years time by doing nothing other than switching to 100% organic food and other products. Both women are in their early 30's, only moderately active and do not exercise. Both eventually significantly increased overall food consumption as resulting weight loss was obtained and continue to do so now. We have mutually concluded that this was achieved by simply avoiding substances like preservatives, color and flavor substitutes, processed sugars and high fructose corn syrup and the many other unnatural ingredients used in most products today. All things added to consumables currently for reasons other than nutritional value. Substances used to color, flavor, preserve, package, prepare, process and basically only increase profits are believed by us to be the culprit.

Organic products are a real thing. Skeptics choose to debate the words definition and other technicalities rather than understand the concept of natural and real foods. While there are deceptions in everything, it is up to the consumer to understand exactly what it is they are consuming. I am fortunate to have an entire market that takes great care in the products they provide. There is not a single item on their shelves that is questionable and all are easily confirmed. Without this luxury you simply have to be diligent in what you consume. Healthy food suppliers are more than willing to prove themselves and provide info. Be responsible and educate yourself on ingredients and what to avoid. This is important to your health in more than excess weight. These food additives not only make you fat, but cause many of the diseases inflicting people today. Cancer, diabetes, heart disease, as well as mental illnesses, can all be linked to these toxic food additives.

Some basic things are always avoid processed foods. That includes things like salt and sugar. Raw sugar and natural sea salt are much healthier than the common processed versions, not to mention they taste better too. Also, substitutes to these basic items are not only unhealthy, but toxic. Some sugar substitutes contain aspartame which is actual poison. Stop thinking these products are meant to help you! These things are for profit only and there is no limit on how far they will go to get it. Your health is of no concern to anyone other than yourself.

If you have access to natural foods than just try them for a while, especially if you need to lose weight. If you don't have them available you should move! We are talking about your health and nothing is more important.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
One of the largest ways we could reduce cancer rates is by reducing the incidence of coal burning which kills approximately 24,000 Americans each year of respiratory illness including lung cancer.

[edit on 12/6/2010 by C0bzz]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I would urge all of you to read a book called "Eat to Live". It explains what foods (or additives, pesticides, and hormones) are harmful and why. It also gives information on what foods are good for those with a propensity toward heart disease, Alzheimer's, cancer, etc. I am a vegetarian (even went vegan for a year), and I have been reading a lot about the benefits of organic foods, consuming less meat, etc. for years. Many doctors do not want this information to get out because if enough people ate healthy, non-contaminated food and could avoid environmental contaminates, few of us would ever be sick and doctors would only be needed for injuries, genetic problems or birth defects, etc.

CX

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Wasn't there a thread a while back which highlighted a report about organic food being hardly any better for you than non-organic?

I'd happily eat organic if it didn't cost so much here in the UK. Why do they insist on telling us what is best for us, then whacking the prices right up on those things?

CX.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Reply to post by CX

Heya CX! Regarding your last sentence, I just want to fired you to LiveForever8's thread on a salad being more expensive than a burger...can't remember the thread name. Maybe the government wants us to get cancer, or become fat and die earlier, my friend. Who knows. The world sure is a crazy place.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackPoison94

I think this is the one www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join