It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Patent #7709819 "Apparatus and Method for Long-Term Storage of Antimatter"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+29 more 
posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Apparatus and Method for Long-Term Storage of Antimatter

I bet you didn't know we had any antimatter lying around that needed long term storage!

Things that make you go hmmm...

[edit on 7 May 10 by Gools]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Ah, so they can store it and we know they can create it... But one question that remains unanswered is..

If you drop antimatter will it fall up or down?

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Gools

Amazing stuff!

but not at all suprising. It makes perfect sense to be thinking ahead as the production and use of antimatter is almost a certainty in the coming years. Interesting stuff, thanks

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   

I laughed when i first saw that remark but actually, wait a minute. Would antimatter be affected by gravity in same way as ordinary matter or would it act as a repulsive force? Do we know?

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Chonx

No you don't understand.

The patent system doesn't work that way.

You can't patent a simple idea.

There are certain criteria that must be met. Among them is novelty, non-obviousness (or inventiveness) and it must be useful.

You also need to meet a requirement known as "best practice disclosure" and the disclosure has to be "enabling". In other words, somebody reading the patent needs to be able to reproduce what you have described and claimed. The claims along with the bibliographic information of the front page are the LEGAL parts of the document setting out your Federal Government granted monopoly rights.

This is real world WORKING technology with real world application or the patent can be declared invalid.

This is not science fiction or "thinking ahead", this stuff is supposedly real and working as described.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Gools

This is real world WORKING technology with real world application or the patent can be declared invalid.

Absolutely! The device must be in working order for there to be reasonable consideration for the art.

Next it has to be unobvious to the normal person in that field. Which means this hasn't been thought of before and is real!

Awesome find gools!

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Gools

So would this prove without doubt that the device has been tested and found to be working? So we can assume that a significant amount of anti-matter has been produced already? Or is the certainty that it would work, based on theory enough for a patent to be granted?

Are you saying that this proves beyond doubt that large amounts of anti matter are in existence in a lab somewhere? Cause that's pretty shocking considering no formal announcement has been made by anyone to my knowledge.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Here is a PDF version with the diagrams included: US Patent #7709819

I work in life sciences.
I can't make heads or tails of this stuff...

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Gools

Well I'll be damned. Sounds like that goofy plot for Angels and Demons might actually be not so far fetched.

Now you just have to guard your eyeballs from the Illuminati, so they don't rip them out to use the biometric scanners and steal the anti-matter unit.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
One of those moments as I saw it would be taken the wrong way.....

[edit on 7-5-2010 by savageheart]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
This may help simplify the storage of antimatter...

en.wikipedia.org...

Antimatter cannot be stored in a container made of ordinary matter because antimatter reacts with any matter it touches, annihilating itself and an equal amount of the container. Antimatter that is composed of charged particles can be contained by a combination of an electric field and a magnetic field in a device known as a Penning trap. This device cannot, however, contain antimatter that consists of uncharged particles, for which atomic traps are used. In particular, such a trap may use the dipole moment (electrical or magnetic) of the trapped particles; at high vacuum, the matter or antimatter particles can be trapped (suspended) and cooled with slightly off-resonant laser radiation (see, for example, magneto-optical trap and Magnetic trap). Small particles can be also suspended by just intensive optical beam in the optical tweezers.

Antimatter ain't cheap...

Antimatter is said to be the most costly substance in existence, with an estimated cost of $25 billion per gram for positrons[17], and $62.5 trillion per gram for antihydrogen.[18] This is because production is difficult (only a few antiprotons are produced in reactions in particle accelerators), and because there is higher demand for the other uses of particle accelerators. According to CERN, it has cost a few hundred million Swiss Francs to produce about 1 billionth of a gram (the amount used so far for particle/antiparticle collisions).[19]

Several NASA Institute for Advanced Concepts-funded studies are exploring whether it might be possible to use magnetic scoops to collect the antimatter that occurs naturally in the Van Allen belts of Earth, and ultimately, the belts of gas giants like Jupiter, hopefully at a lower cost per gram.[20]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
One heck of a lot of work went into this , thats for sure. So apparently anti-matter is real. Cool find) it says it will fill the container with Positronium in a matter of seconds. hmmm....... en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
Ah, so they can store it and we know they can create it... But one question that remains unanswered is..

You dont drop anti-matter.
IT DROPS YOU!!!

But seriously.... GREAT FIND GOOLS!!! This is good info!

[edit on (5/7/10) by AllSeeingI]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
The company who was granted the patent:

Positronics Research LLC

Positronics Research LLC is an intellectual property research and development company in the emerging field of antimatter production, confinement and utilization.

We focus our technical expertise in the following areas:

1) Engineering devices for high-density storage of antimatter.

2) Engineering devices that convert antimatter annihilation products to useful forms of energy.

3) Performing measurements vital to the development of national defense, medical, propulsion, and space applications.

4) Basic research in symmetries, gravity, and antimatter-matter interactions.

B A C K G R O U N D

Dr. Gerald A. Smith founded the Company in 2001 and is responsible for the development of the company's core technology. He was the Principal Investigator and spokesperson for several major national and international collaborations involving university groups working at Brookhaven National Laboratory, CERN, Fermilab and the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center. He is the author or co-author of over 300 articles published in refereed scientific journals, has presented over 200 invited papers, lectures, seminars and colloquia and holds numerous patents in advanced technologies.

Dr. Smith was responsible for the design and development of the first two portable antimatter traps, the Mark I trap developed at Penn State University and the High Performance Antimatter Trap (HiPAT). Both are currently in use at the NASA Marshall Space Flight Center. Dr. Smith also designed two revolutionary hybrid antimatter/nuclear spacecrafts, the ICAN II and the AIMStar, which will both allow for future extremely fast and robust manned deep space missions.

Dr. Smith received his Ph.D. from Yale University after completing research in experimental particle physics at Brookhaven National Laboratory. He completed his M.S. in Physics from Yale University and graduated Magna Cum Laude from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. He is a Fellow of the American Physical Society.

C U R R E N T  R E S E A R C H

Positronics Research LLC developed the world's largest (high-density) antimatter storage trap at their laboratory and recently made breakthrough physics advances in new technology for ultradense, portable and compact storage of antimatter. These advancements will permit revolutionary applications of antimatter to be realized in the near future. Novel applications for national defense and security, high-density energy storage, and breakthrough medical advances for the detection and treatment of cancer will be made possible.

B U S I N E S S   S T R A T E G Y

Positronics Research LLC's core business strategy is to partner with market leaders in their three strategic business areas of national defense, medicine and energy. Licenses are offered in each of the strategic areas to those who are best positioned to broadly deploy the technology solutions, bringing them more rapidly to commercialization. The Company has already established partnerships with market leaders and continues to actively pursue business relationships in order to more efficiently and effectively bring their revolutionary technologies to market.

Emphasis mine.

Portable antimatter traps???

Two versions already in use at NASA?!?!?
edit: brain fart

[edit on 7 May 10 by Gools]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chonx
reply to post by Gools

So would this prove without doubt that the device has been tested and found to be working?

Are you saying that this proves beyond doubt that large amounts of anti matter are in existence in a lab somewhere? Cause that's pretty shocking considering no formal announcement has been made by anyone to my knowledge.

I am pretty sure you can show the patent office a working computer model and/or engineering diagrams with specific parts and use indicators to show it's functionability. Not all patents work, and you can patent an idea before a real world test has been made. I certainly don't want to hear about some nutjob trying to make antimatter containment in their garage without knowing they thought this through enough to patent (has much optimism that it would work).

Some scientific patents are needed just to get access to the right equipment and maybe financing.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
FYI

There's a concepts in Patent Law called "Reduction to Practice"

Wiki offers a simplified (non-legalese) explanation:

en.wikipedia.org...

The embodiment of an invention can either be:

* Actual reduction to practice: "[R]equires that the claimed invention work for its intended purpose." Brunswick Corp. v. U.S., 34 Fed. Cl. 532, 584 (1995).

* Constructive reduction to practice: "[O]ccurs upon the filing of a patent application on the claimed invention." Brunswick Corp. v. U.S., 34 Fed. Cl. 532, 584 (1995).

* "Simultaneous conception and reduction to practice": "In some instances, such as the discovery of genes or chemicals, an inventor is unable to establish a conception until he has reduced the invention to practice through a successful experiment." The Regents of the University of California v. Synbiotics Co., 849 F.Supp. 740, 742 (S.D.Cal., 1994) (citing Amgen, Inc. v. Chugai Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd., 927 F.2d 1200, 1206 (Fed. Cir. 1991)).

The court will apply this doctrine in so-called "unpredictable arts" such as biology and chemistry where the invention is a "biologically active composition of matter," also called a "bio-chemical substance."

Anyway... this might be "constructive reduction to practice" with very persuasive arguments to those "skilled in the art" (another patent practice terminology) but the company's website claims there are two previous designs for portable antimatter traps already in use at NASA.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Gools

Dear Gools

Something for every body to bare in mind. Antimatter requires a electro magnetic trap.

So there had better be no power cuts in that area or there is going to be a very big hole in the ground.

Just think how the power companies could hold these facilities to ransom not to speak of terrorists no I said not to speak.

In short it is very dangerous stuff and do we trust them TPTB to be able to control it in this environment, or any other environment for that matter??/

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gools

Dr. Smith was responsible for the design and development of the first two portable antimatter traps, the Mark I trap developed at Penn State University and the High Performance Antimatter Trap (HiPAT). Both are currently in use at the NASA Marshall Space Flight Center. Dr. Smith also designed two revolutionary hybrid antimatter/nuclear spacecrafts, the ICAN II and the AIMStar, which will both allow for future extremely fast and robust manned deep space missions.

Portable antimatter traps???

Two versions already in use at NASA?!?!?

Here's a link to a pdf document that describes the existing use of the above mentioned HiPat antimatter traps by NASA.
As well, they're describing a proposal they've put together where they're postulating the use of antimatter to power a light weight instrument package using sail technology and sending it of to another star system.

Antimatter containment pdf

[edit on 7/5/10 by tauristercus]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I was just re-reading that NASA document when I noticed the following statement that made me sit up and take notice ... it was regarding the potential miniaturization of the current very large and bulky antimatter containment/trap devices.

... and one can conceive of traps with orders of magnitude more volume that weigh well less than 1 kg.

Lets hope that at some future time, that the "bad guys" in the world don't eventually get their hands on one of these miniaturized traps, leave it in the middle of a city and rig it so that containment fails deliberately.
Hmmmm ... wasn't that the plot behind the recent "Angels and Demons" movie ? Wasn't the stolen antimatter trap around that size ? ... a case of reality imitating art !

[edit on 7/5/10 by tauristercus]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade

I bet on side ways

Seriously, with the corrupt leaders of the world, right now, I wonder if it IS a good idea to have anti-matter "lying" around. With GWB, there was DU(h).
With Obama there will be DAM(n)?!?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join