It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Ignorance Challenge - can you make a difference?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I apologize in advance that this is a U.S.A. based challenge, but ~please~ anyone please add a similar challenge for your local, non-US area!

My statement is this: Most of us don't know who our representatives in Government are. For those who do - thank you! You rock!

My challenge!? Write a letter to your congressman, governor, state assembly person, mayor, anyone!!

We TALK a lot here on ATS about what our government is doing and not doing but even myself, on the high end of knowledgeable about such things, only know a few of the people I just mentioned. My personal reason has been that I don't believe our government does a darn thing for my benefit!! On the other hand though - and the reason for the challenge - is that THEY, the government, are the people who can make a difference, it's their genre, their arena, and until we have a complete takeover we need to be playing under their rules.

So - do you know your governor and 2 senators? Do you know your representatives? Do you know what your local congressional district is? secretary of Health and Human Services?

[edit on 7-5-2010 by Thermo Klein]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
A simple Google search of your state and the word government will give you tons of great info.

I found an Org Chart for the California Executive Branch (Governor Schwarzenegger), homepages for the Legislative Branch (Senate and State Assembly), and a page for the Judicial Branch (Courts).

I found a link for Mike Honda, my local Congressman, 15th Congessional District.

Knowing our local people means we can make a huge difference in the world! (I know that seems naïve and ridiculous, but...) A person, a SINGLE individual, is much more likely to respond to a letter, or feel important if they hear from their constituents.

Some of these jerks are lifetime politicians and there's nothing we can do to eradicate their narscissistic selfishness, but SOME of them really got into politics to help or to make a difference!

[edit on 7-5-2010 by Thermo Klein]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I will admit that I do not know but I will also add that it really doesn't matter because they are all corrupt and will always act in their own interest regardless of what we say.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by DARKCYDE_CROWLEY
I will admit that I do not know but I will also add that it really doesn't matter because they are all corrupt and will always act in their own interest regardless of what we say.

That is squarely YOUR fault for voting them in.

Even more so if you DID not vote at all.

Be the change you want to see my friend.

I write my politicans ALL the time, they may not listen, but at least I can say I am doing something about it.

Can you?

ETA: Well done Thermo, I hope this gains some popularity and people actually do it. Friended...

~Keeper

[edit on 5/7/2010 by tothetenthpower]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   

What a crock. what a cop out.
Publicly elected officials respond to public pressure, simple as that.
I've heard that bS for 40 years, give it a rest.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I'm not trying to be an a$$ but what you're doing is giving them stuff to fill their trash cans with.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by DARKCYDE_CROWLEY

I've spoken to my representatives plenty of times. I live in a pretty safe, active, and generally wealthy area (Santa Clara, CA) and we always have a yearly picnic and craft faire. The government and people running for posts are always there to answer questions. Most of them I've spoken with want to see changes, have kids in the school system, and really care.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
It's funny, I emailed my Reps (Representative Gus Michael Bilirakis and Senior Senator Bill Nelson) in regards to Solar Storm Mitigation. I submitted a write up via the submission section of the website, selected the appropriate category (Space/Technology) and submitted away. I received the initial auto reply from both saying "thank you for writing me I truly care about your views" blah blah.

A few days later I received a reply from Gus that said: "Thank you for supporting the gays in the military, we are steadily.....blah blah".
Ole Bill never responded.

So yeah...

Not saying this to detour anyone in this thread from doing so, merely posting my experience of corresponding with our State Reps.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Thermo Klein

Maybe the problem is that we don't all live in wealthy areas.

I've seen and lived in some pretty poor areas and it just seems like government officials won't go anywhere near these areas, let alone, try to fix any of the problems there.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

That's sorta funny - maybe they need a new tech guy!

My sister is a realtor in Maryland. She writes her politicians often and has seen some big changes. Recently she was at some big dinner thing and said hello to her Congressman who happened to be sitting near her. When he heard her name her reacted pretty strongly and said thank you! I appreciate all your letters and your concerns and you've actually opened my eyes to a few things!

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by DARKCYDE_CROWLEY

I lived in Tucson, AZ for a while, over a decade ago. I didn't even know who my reps were... they sure never showed up to any street fairs LOL

On the other hand I never made any sort of effort - I didn't vote, I didn't care. I could have acted the same way here but I've changed a lot in how I feel about making a difference.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   

I'm not trying to be an a$$ but what you're doing is giving them stuff to fill their trash cans with.

don't mind these people man, i know what you mean. its almost as if they live in a fantasy world and think people really give a flying screw what they say. this test itself is ignorant, nobody will listen until they're beaten to the brink of death or with a gun to their head.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by DOADOA

Thanks for stopping by with that lil ray of sunlight

You forgot to mention when's the last time you talked to one of your city council persons?

I agree with in a way, to be honest, but what I said in the second post is true. The laws aren't made by people arguing on ATS - they're made by individuals in our house and senate, etc

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
If this threads "fails" as in very few people comment, it sorta proves a certain level of ignorance... I'm hoping more people jump on the political bandwagon to actually make some changes, and not just satisfy a general need for community, anxiety, knowledge, control, or whatever else you come here for.

Just found this while exploring my California links:

Sen. Alquist's bill SB 900 to help California enact the Obamacare! It seems she's working with someone from Kaiser Permanente (good for me since I have Kaiser insurance!
)!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Anyone up for a Saturday morning conversation about ignorance?

(gratuitous bump)

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Sorry, all faith in system gone over here.

Maybe if Ron Paul would have won, it would have been interesting again.

[edit on 8-5-2010 by Copernicus]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Here's a real life example that is happening RIGHT NOW!!

Write one of these people:
Sponsor:
Rep. Alcee Hastings [D-FL23]
Cosponsors:
Steve Cohen [D-TN9]
Artur Davis [D-AL7]
Jim Gerlach [R-PA6]

...and tell them how you feel about internment camps on American soil!

I'll be sending a letter with:

* An appeal to listen to the constituents (voters)
* Facts about House Bill 645
* Facts that this has happened before
* And a picture of the barbed-wire turned INWARD meaning people can't get out, like a jail.

The wording states that FEMA camps already exist. I've never been a big believer in these but turns out there are over 100 pieces of legislation allowing our government to incarcerate us, some of the more recent bills and laws don't even require that we've broken any laws!! (Thanks to the CDC's sell out concerning H1N1 being a Class 6 pandemic)

Great thread by Mr Mask with links to Debunk This!

[edit on 9-5-2010 by Thermo Klein]

new topics

top topics

join