It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People cheat death 5 times in a lifetime.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
The thought is, that humans are given certain "check out" points in their life, so if they want to bail on their current life they can. I for one, have wanted to bail, and yet Im still here!
But in all seriousness, I have almost died in the hospital twice now, and nearly drowned to death as a child. My higher self must be loving this crap

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I agree with the Lyme's Disease counting. Had it and suffered for quite some time with it undiagnosed. Seriously painful.

I stepped in an open manhole during a floor - nearly fell straight through. That would've done me in quick.

Fell through ice. Nearly drown in swimming pool. Electrocuted. Head-on car crash. That's five big ones...gotta be 5x more small ones.

I think too many safety devices keep too many idiots alive too long. The herd doesn't get properly thinned anymore. Plus, most of us would be a bit more careful without those "safety nets" in our modern life.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Let me count the ways I've cheated death....

1. Pulled under by a strong undertow off the coast of South Carolina and bashed up against the sharp rocks.

2. An ex-friend got drunk and brought his .22 out where I was camping. Started to shoot at all kinds of things, including me. Would have been point blank but he was out of rounds.

3. When I was young boy I'd spit out my medicine, became severely sick and ended up in the hospital.

4. Electrical shock thrice in a factory from a high voltage piece of machinery... earned the nickname "Dead man walking" and "ghost" from the maintenance guys.

5. Fell over 50ft out of a tree and could have broke my neck.

6. Held a sword to the sky during storms with lightning in hopes of being struck... no luck there.

7. Stood outside while a tornado was forming over head... could have been bad.

I could go on... I take chances, I'm a risk taker, death is but an old friend, we're well acquainted, and it can't take me yet, because it's just not my time. I know my time, and take advantage of that.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
I narrowly cheated death thanks to the engineers that designed the hotel I was staying in at the moment we were struck by a magnitude 8.0 earthquake while I was in Lima, Perú in August 2007. If that were a British construction, it would have crumbled due to our lack of expenditure on anti-seismic construction here.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   
I think ive done it at least 3 times XD
1. I nearly went over the edge of a cliff when i was like 7. I was on my bike and my breaks stopped working and this guy littually jumped off his bike and grabbed mee

2. I got hit on the head by a 2 x 4 from about 25ft up when people were throwing them down

3. I nearly drowned in my grans bath 2 years ago cause i passed out XD

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

So are you aware of any situations that you may have "cheated" death?

article
15 years ago my Dad was towing my busted car with me steering it down the M1 motorway when the tow rope snapped. I coasted to a stop right in the middle of a sliproad with cars and trucks joining the motorway, swerving to avoid me.

I figured the only thing to do was get out of the car and make a run for safety when there was a gap in traffic. So I was waiting for the gap to come when my dad (who'd pulled over onto the hard shoulder ahead of me) ran over to me and barked at me to help him push the car onto the hard shoulder.

We started pushing and then I noticed this huge juggernaut thundering towards us. The driver hadn't seen us. My dad and I just stood there like rabbits caught in the headlights as this behemoth bore down on us. In that moment I was sure I was going to die and I was treated to an ultra-fast summary of my life, like somebody riffling through the pages of a photo album. I remember being struck wit a profound thought, "I haven't done enough".

Then the truck blasted its horn and swerved at the last second, missing us literally by inches. I looked around and there was suddenly no traffic on the sliproad where seconds earlier it'd been bumper-to-bumper. Me and dad moved the car onto the hard shoulder and sat there and began to laugh. I've never really understood why we laughed. We almost died.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Are we counting every time a person dodges a knife strike, or a potentialy lethal blow to the head from a bottle ? Or every time one walks away from a five man kicking, again potentialy lethal ? Are we also counting having been shot at, but having the good luck to have moved at the right moment?
On the knives front, I would say at least once a week for five years, and about three times total for the five man beat down. I had a really nasty gash all the way to the bone of my skull on one occasion, six inches long. JD bottle to the head. The doctor at the hospital said that if the strike had been slightly better aimed, it could have easily killed me, and also said that I was lucky that I had a drink that night, because the shock he expected in a patient with that kind of head wound, never set in.
Then there was the fire in Febuary this year. I live in an appartment above a parade of shops, one of which was arsonised, I woke up to smoke comming up through my floorboards. If I hadnt woken up, it would have been mere minuites till I died of smoke inhalation.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by xynephadyn
The thought is, that humans are given certain "check out" points in their life, so if they want to bail on their current life they can. I for one, have wanted to bail, and yet Im still here!
But in all seriousness, I have almost died in the hospital twice now, and nearly drowned to death as a child. My higher self must be loving this crap

Yeah, I know what you mean.
As for accidents I had a few myself when I was a kid.

When I was a baby in my crib, my mom entered the room and caught me exactly when I was getting ready to jump, after I had climbed it to get out of it.

When I was 3 yo, my family was working on our basement and there was this big digging hole of 3m depth. And I snuck out, after a heavy rain filled it and my mom caught me sitting on the verge of the water with my legs in it. She almost had a heart attack; I could`ve fallen and drown.

When I was around 10 year of age I was playing and fell on an iron fence with my back, from almost 2m height – twice.

We definitely have more than 5 lives!

[edit on 8/5/10 by sandri_90]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

interesting...me...stabbed, shot at, two bike accidents... hit by a truck, rear ended a few times, ....hospitalized for all of the above or at least stiched up.
Broken ribs, broken jaw, a few concussions...(hit twice with a bat..glanced off of shoulder onto ear gotta a big cali ear)

and who knows what else?!

Lost in a storm...out in the ocean when trying to teach myself how to sail...lol..not a big storm but big enough to scare the living crap out of me...lol

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
2 electric shocks.

First I was about eightt doing my homework in my room and my lamp was messing up, i turned it off at the in-line switch but not at the wall, took out the bulb and pressed one of the copper legs that the bulb connects to. Came to a short while later and couldn't remember much.

Should've learned from this but i was taking apart my ps2 and stuff and it was still plugged in at the wall, because the ps2 was turned off i presumed all the electrons and things would be outside the circuit. Got thrown across the room and sweated heavily for a while but i'm ok now i guess...

Apparently the human skin has a decent level of electrical resistance, which I realise i've taken for granted with my luck so far

Oh, almost got hit by a car once when walking to school, but luckily it stopped (because if it hadn't my legs had frozen anyway and i couldn't move...)

Head Trauma - doesn't really count because it wasn't that bad but a minor concussion because i thought i was superman at the playground jumpign off something and smashed my head. Gravity had other ideas :/ .
2 to go but i wont be risking them!

[edit on 8-5-2010 by Xadaz]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   
cliffs, wheels, skateboards, bikes, cars, knives, steel-toed boots,

oh and once i almost got rammed by a deer.
that was definitely my coolest near-death experience.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Many. Well over 5.

I've cheated death at least 8 to 10 times.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Bicycles.

Brake cable snapping on bike as a kid straight into the back of a car.
Car door being opened on me as a kid on bike.
Pedaling down a hill as fast as I could on a mountain bike & front tyre exploded locking the front wheel instantly as the shreded tyre jammed against the forks.

Electricity.

Lightning hit a re-cycling bin 3ft away from me walking home from school, close enough I felt the heat on my face.
Numerous electric shocks, most prominent would be a 440Volt capacitor from a large refrigerator compressor.
I shorted two of three phases of a 380Volt 3 phase generator with my head, managed to bog down & trip a 30KW generator lol. Really I remember hearing it load up.

Cars.

Numerous near misses, best was as a passenger in a taxi which pulled out under an articulated truck, between tractor and trailer, rear trailers wheels, all bounced up and went over bonnet sending car into a 720 or more spin.

Numerous ludicrous jumps in a sand rail beach buggy.

Boating.

Kayaking as a kid, capsized and got stuck upside down in the boat, white water, Dad got me out.
Missed a foot strap in a sailing dinghy hiking out and fell overboard and was dragged by the ankles by the sheet rope face down, luckily boat death rolled and capsized & stopped.
Yacht boom in back of head jybing, out cold for 2-3 minute apparently and a serious head ache and concussion after.

Almost wash overboard etc numerous times in bad weather off shore racing and trans-oceanic deliveries.

Was on a beach in a small RIB speed boat headed out to larger yacht, literally 20 minutes before Tsunami arrived in Phuket, we happened to up anchor the bigger boat and headed of shore so were just in deep water when the first waves arrived.

Used an old sunken tin boat as a tow down sled to free dive, not really considering how far 45 meters is to swim back up - ya don't float from down there having equalized all the way down. Drowning or shallow water black out both serious risks. Really scared the crap outta myself with that one.

General Stuff.

Dodged a soccer ball to the face in the gym at school, sticking radiator bleed valve 1/2 inch into my temple - apparently (don't really remember)

Crazed Polynesian dude threw a knife at my head for whooping his ass in a game of pool. He insisted I played & I did against my better judgment.

Looking back, that's quite a list, there's more above are some of the most significant ones..

Glad I'm still here, I'm 36 there's still plenty of crazy stuff to do.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   

I can only think of three but then again I haven't really lived my life, I have been staying home for a long time, no friends and no real life!! I have to say I have cheated death only 3 ties and I am 33.

The first time was when I was being born my heart stopped and so did my Mother's but we were both revived and I was born c-section. The second time I almost drowned, and the third I almost drowned again. I can also say i love swimming! I have been in 3 car accidents but nothing fatal. I never had near death experience, well unless you count my birth but i don't remember it.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I was almost hit by a motorbike when i was walking across the road, that would of been sure death for me, as he was doing at leat over 60mph

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
When I was in secondary school we went on a school trip to bilbao spain, we were in this village and I went to step out into the road to cross and this van came speeding along and within a split second my friend pulled me back I was lucky if it wasn't for her I could be dead now.

Also my grandad who's in his seventy's now has had alot of brushes with death to sum them up, he's been hit by a car, he was nearly buried alive when he was down a hole once working, he's been electrocuted and a few years ago his leg got caught as he was getting off the bus and he nearly lost his leg, I think there may be one or 2 more things that happened to him but I cannot remember at the moment.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Died twice in one night from epic drugs overdose , mate resussed me first time hospital staff second.
I've been bottled and hit over head HARD numerous times.
Been jacked at knife point numerous times.

Been in a few car crashes one potentially fatal. Almost been killed by getting run over COUNTLESS times but rarely ever hit to any kind of serious extent.
Erm i've been jumped a few times and had countless scraps. . really thought i was gonna get stabbed quite a few times. Thats just what i can remember.

I'd concider myself pretty effing lucky .

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   

I've 'cheated death' per-say more than 5 times - and I'm being completely serious.

I have been on the brink of death several times in the ICU (intensive care unit) in the hospital and came out of them all completely fine (doctors were bewildered, I've had multiple doctors tell me they have no idea how I'm still alive).

As much as I don't understand life as a whole, and I was never a fan of the whole "we're here for a reason" thing, my views have changed significantly over time due to these accidents (although some were directly my fault), and because of my spiritual awakening.

I am being completely honest when I say I have survived over 5 NDE (near death experiences), I am living, breathing proof that the body can sustain major internal and external injuries and heal itself completely.

So cheers!

*edit to add: I think it may have something to do with genetic predisposition, don't ask me why, the only reason I can give is because one of my near death experiences had to do with my liver and it should have completely shut down but somehow I came out alive without any permanent damage and I had at least 4 doctors tell me at the very least I should be on dialysis the rest of my life or dead - but I'm still here!

[edit on 8/5/2010 by highlyoriginal]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I work at the shipyards (welder/shipfitter). I've been cheating death everyday since 1998. Not to mention a couple of early childhood events.

"Don't fear the reaper"

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   

back in my college days...yeah back when text books were carved in stone...
I had this prof who said, "If we could make it so you would never die from old age you couldn't expect to live more than 400 or 500 hundred years before the law of averages catches up to you... one day you'd step off that curb right into an on rushing bus..."

I've had my share of close calls so I would say my prof was right and that close call number should be higher!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join