It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People cheat death 5 times in a lifetime.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I thought this was a fun and interesting article. The study was small, I would like to see what the results are if a larger population was sampled. But it is a tribute to some of the survival mechanisms in humans. With all the death and destruction we see on the news, it is easy to think that we are ill-destined. But the fact is, that we are surivors much more then we give ourselves credit for.

The average Brit will narrowly dodge death five times during their lifetime, a new mortality report has revealed.
Common close encounters include being involved in a potentially fatal car crash - something that will happen to 40 percent of us - and surviving a high voltage electric shock (32%).

Other escapes include almost getting struck by lightning (36%) or living through a serious natural disaster including high impact earthquakes or raging floods (29%).

The study of over 1,000 people also found 23 percent of people think they owe their lives to others normally because they have been pulled back from stepping out in front of a bus

So are you aware of any situations that you may have "cheated" death?

article

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Hmmm I am running out then,lol

Car crash, shocked by electricity, numerous allergic reactions. Still going.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
electrocuted..ran over by several cars..fell from a ninth story window and fell on an awning..just like the movies and lived..hangover that night was pretty bad.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I can't even think of one. Does lyme disease count? *laughs* I have had several car crashes but I don't think they were potentially fatal.

But I think this can come hidden, like someone pulling you back from stepping in front of a car. It is so simple that you forget it was a near death experience. How many of those do we face?

[edit on 7-5-2010 by nixie_nox]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Explanation: S&F!

Personal Disclosure: My dad worked at Dept of Statistics and as a lunchtime exercise he and his workmates figured out that if everybody was immortal that we would still live on average only 400yrs as accidents eventually do take us out!

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I can manage 8 times.

But hey I am a cat.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Hmm

Born ~4-5 months premature, woken up not breathing and not realizing I wasn't breathing until I could scarcely feel my heartbeat, Almost forced off a mountain while driving down it(some one didn't want to let another car get ahead so they were driving up it side by side, one in my lane!). Thats 3 so far. Multiple blows to the head(why i refuse to participate in sports), I've had a knife held to my throat(a "friend" did it and thought it was funny, that friend was also psychotic and had not taken meds for a little while, as I learned shortly after).

All i can think of currently

Forgot one: Drowning.

[edit on 7-5-2010 by ItsAgentScully]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
i`ve had lightning strike a lamp post i was less than 15 ft away from. 5 mins before i was out on the field (the lamp post was on the edge of) on a motor bike. the bang it made was huge and scared the s**t out of every one that was there and most ducked to a squat. i was 13 the adults that were there said if i was still on the field it would have got me, but who knows

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Sitting in living room lightening hits tv through window 3ft away.

Hit by car crossing street, backflip in air.

Falling of old large swing at top performing inverse trick, shirt catches

Stepping in front of van going 40 friend pulls back

Crossed 30ft railroad bridge balancing on 4*4 with eyes closed 30ft up

Jumped off 50-60ft waterfall and fell on back, twice!!

This is an awesome article. When you think about all those little miracles life sure is resilient. If I can think of anymore Ill add them.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Fun thread OP! Star for you.

Nearly hit by car twice as a kid. Were talkin millimeters here.

3 car crashes.

Several pnuemonias, inclucing Legionella.

I say there may be an underestimation here!

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
brilliant!

although i have to say, as a cyclist who is regulary out in manchester rush hour, i probably cheat death more times than that per week!

heck, i've had 4 near misses this evening alone, 2 of which before it went dark! AND only one of them was due to 'slight' intoxication...

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I've cheated death many times in my life

Lets start with my preterm birth where the doctors took me off of life support and my mother had to bully them into putting me back on it.

As a toddler I had pneumonia several times.

I almost got hit by a car while riding my big wheel when I was a preschooler.

At twelve I survived a home invasion where the dirtbag pointed a shotgun at me and my entire family and actually pulled the trigger. Only nothing happened because, as I found out later, someone had stolen all his ammo.

Almost killed in car accident where a semi truck almost T boned me.

That's all I can think of right now. I really does make me thankful that I'm still here. The article was great and this is a fun threat. Thanks OP

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Hit by a car while skateboarding when I was a kid
Stopped breathing when I was a baby because I was "drowning" in my secretions...
Jumped in water when I was young and nearly drowned...

That's all I can think of!

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
A couple of car wrecks.
Choked on my own vomit while passed out drunk, My brother saved me.
Had a crazy drunken redneck stick a shotgun in my face, I think I peed a little.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
I can't even think of one. Does lyme disease count? *laughs* I have had several car crashes but I don't think they were potentially fatal.

But I think this can come hidden, like someone pulling you back from stepping in front of a car. It is so simple that you forget it was a near death experience. How many of those do we face?

[edit on 7-5-2010 by nixie_nox]

Hey, about that Lyme's disease, serious stuff. I had a close friend whom was plagued with it for many years without even knowing it. By the time he was properly diagnosed, he had suffered severe problems such as mental depression, fatigue and dementia. He is no longer here, his mom as an eyewitness said he took his own life, he had a dependency on recreational drugs as a form of self medication. I hope you got proper treatment with anti biotics for it, any one that is exposed to the outdoors especially in the mountains or near woods, needs to be made aware.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Gloomy

I'm on borrowed time

but I knew that

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Pneumonia as a toddler, then almost drowned in a public pool,
manic forced his way into house with knife and my dad threw him through a window haha!
Two car crashes - one quite bad really - flipped twice and slid on roof then hit tree down embankment...uuuummmmm
Drink spiked, subsequent overdose reaction, stopped breathing in hospital...
can't think of any more, probably a few incidentals like stepping on road and being pulled back when a little sloshed etc.
Good thread!
We are resilient aren't we!?

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
lol funny article

i almost drowned, was in a car crash, almost got electrocuted,
lol but i think that s the way of survival. endure.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

As a baby, I nearly died of dehydration because the doctor told my parents to bring me back home because of gastroenteritis. Asthma caused me trouble too, as an infant.

At 4, I got electrocuted. I put a metal pin in the plug. I still have the memory of it, and the scar on the finger. It messed my prints...

At 8, got hit in the back by a Chevy Van. I rolled, saw Bugs Bunny like background, found myself half under the van, with a boot on, and the other one on the street behind the van.

At 10, I got electrocuted again while plugging the tv. The plug wouldn't get in; it was stuck half in. I was sweating and my fingers slipped and I ended up touching both ends at the same time. My heart was racing so fast I tought i was gonna die. I finally plugged the tv, but was to sped up to watch anything!

At 15, I was involuntarily involved in a car chase with dozens of of police cars. After 25 minutes, the driver lost control and we crashed in a ditch. Highway was near and more cops were waiting for us with orders to shoot to stop us at any cost. Hollywood car chase are LAME. I can tell you, I experienced one...

At 30, I was propulsed on a steel bar at a high enough speed and nearly had my spleen destroyed. Couldn't get up by myself for a whole month. I missed a full rack of pointy spring leaves.

And the usual car crash somewhere along the line.

So I would say I'm 2 above normal in my "Death evasion routine". No wonder I feel blessed.

It's so cool to be alive! I can tell you that, no matter what!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Holy smokes,I was just reading through the posts trying to remember all the incidents that should have killed me and each one of the other posters responses made me remember one I had forgotten.

Hell,I know of three in one month when I was younger.

I think it is maybe 12 or so right off the top of my head.

I have told people about some of them and I always get the same response.

"You must have a charmed life."

I always tell them I have guardian angels that don't mind working overtime.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join