It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vladimir Putin snubs Britain and US over VE Day celebrations

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thirty_Foot_Smurf
Thats it! Time to bring Georgia into NATO and supply the Chechen's with arms. Gotta put'em back in their place. They've been getting kinda uppity lately.

Sarcasm? I hope so because this isn't the '60's. The USSR doesn't exist like it did...... neither does America. And this time we don't have a common voice like the UN(back then) to vent frustrations. Welcome Armageddon.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by killuminati2012

yea thanks to the Russians WWII was won,

[edit on 7-5-2010 by prionace glauca]

70% of German casualties were on the Eastern front against Russia. Not only that, but the Battle of Stalingrad was a major turning point of the war. I think it's safe to say that Russia contributed greatly to the Nazi's defeat, but god forbid the West not get all of the credit.

Russia's participation in the war was a necessary evil. Given the fact that their main intention was to use the crisis of war to expand their communist empire west, I think that most people find their ultimate intention less than honorable.

The west should get all the credit. Who would ever want to give a dirtbag like Stalin any credit. Christ! His body count in the Ukraine was much more impressive that any amount of Nazi's killed.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   

The west should get all the credit.

I would LOVE to see any stats that proved that. Care to man up and show us this amazing info that historians have missed?

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Thats it! Time to bring Georgia into NATO and supply the Chechen's with arms. Gotta put'em back in their place. They've been getting kinda uppity lately.

Sarcasm? I hope so because this isn't the '60's. The USSR doesn't exist like it did...... neither does America. And this time we don't have a common voice like the UN(back then) to vent frustrations. Welcome Armageddon.

Just a tinge of sarcasm. To the point though. It has been proven that the world does not benefit from a strong Russia. Quite the contrary. Russia needs to be weakened by whatever covert or subversive tactics available.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   

The west should get all the credit.

I would LOVE to see any stats that proved that. Care to man up and show us this amazing info that historians have missed?

What stats are you asking? Man...up... What a curios reaction.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Just a tinge of sarcasm. To the point though. It has been proven that the world does not benefit from a strong Russia. Quite the contrary. Russia needs to be weakened by whatever covert or subversive tactics available.

I know this isn't a Tom Clancy novel because even he has backed off the Russians for the next real threat... China.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   

I know this isn't a Tom Clancy novel because even he has backed off the Russians for the next real threat... China.

The subject is Russia and the VE day celebrations. Last I checked China wasn't part of the allied forces.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
So what? Most americans and most british people would not welcome Obama, Biden and those scumbags calling themselves ``princes`` in their own house. I certainly wouldn't.

Good for Putin and Medvedev.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   

The subject is Russia and the VE day celebrations. Last I checked China wasn't part of the allied forces.

You didn't check well did you?

Seriously, history must be read or repeated. Don't just take the books that are offered at school. This is the digital age, use that resource. China was the Russia of the East. Look at their WW2 casualties:

en.wikipedia.org...

2nd only to Russia.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I am at a loss of why Prime Minister Putin would snub the US and British delegation, headed by VP Joe Biden and Prince Charles, from VE-Day celebrations? Then as I read the article, his decision may be an account of some political disagreements between Putin and the two countries. However, as I read on, it says that soldiers from all countries who participated in victory will be marching on Moscow, and ambassadors from both the UK and the US will be in attendance.

Still, I think the event as important to World history as VE Day should not be used for political wranglings and rhetoric by disagreeing powers. However, as long as some form of representation from all nations involved are in attendance it is better than nothing. Remember it was the sacrifice of the people, meaning the soldiers and families that won the war, and not the singularity of a leader or dictator. It was politics that got the world into that bloody war to begin with. Let the celebrations go on, and Prince Charles and Joe Biden will have to just cry a river. Who really cares if they are in attendance or not, because some form of government will be attendance as representatives of the respective countries.

[edit on 8-5-2010 by Jakes51]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

As an American I can understand why he wouldn't want Joe Biden [The man couldn't keep his big yap shut] But why exclude Chuck? [Prince of Wales]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

Pretty much how I see it. Head of State or none at all. The peoples efforts will still be honored.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
But why exclude Chuck? [Prince of Wales]

He's not a head of state.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by Jakes51

As an American I can understand why he wouldn't want Joe Biden [The man couldn't keep his big yap shut] But why exclude Chuck? [Prince of Wales]

Yeah, my feelings about ol' Joe, and our new Dan Quayle. He has a tendency to speak before thinking. I am surprised that President Obama did not make the time to attend the event personally, given the historical importance and the apparent fact of being invited? So, I am a little confused by that?

As for jolly Prince of Wales, Charles, maybe Vladimir Putin has a seething disposition toward monarchy and royalty? For me personally, I am somewhat perplex at the necessity and cost for the need of a sustaining a monarchy, albeit in a ceremonial sense as is the case with UK. However, their traditions are their own, and who am I to say either way. I suppose many Brits still find solace in the institution. At least all countries have representation, and the soldiers are being honored. Thanks for the reply.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jakes51
I suppose many Brits still find solace in the institution.

Sorry for the off topic post but it's important.

There are many other nations, the Commonwealth, that keep allegiance to the Mother country. Just saying.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jakes51
I suppose many Brits still find solace in the institution.

Sorry for the off topic post but it's important.

There are many other nations, the Commonwealth, that keep allegiance to the Mother country. Just saying.

I was just mainly referring to the UK, since the topic relates to Prince Charles getting the snub at the VE celebrations. You are correct, and I should have mentioned the Commonwealth as well. Thanks for making that crucial element known. I just was not clear how the Canadians and other Commonwealth nations felt about the monarchy.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   

You didn't check well did you?

Seriously, history must be read or repeated. Don't just take the books that are offered at school. This is the digital age, use that resource. China was the Russia of the East. Look at their WW2 casualties:

en.wikipedia.org...

2nd only to Russia.

Thats amazing! I had no idea a lot of people died in WW2! You are definitely a content expert! And you found that on the Internet? Seems like a neat tool this Internet thing.

So Chinese got their ass kicked buy the Japanese. How is this on topic? How does this apply to my comment about Russia?

You kind-of stink at this moderating thing when you find it difficult to stay on topic yourself.

[edit on 8-5-2010 by Thirty_Foot_Smurf]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by prionace glauca

Originally posted by killuminati2012

yea thanks to the Russians WWII was won,

[edit on 7-5-2010 by prionace glauca]

70% of German casualties were on the Eastern front against Russia. Not only that, but the Battle of Stalingrad was a major turning point of the war. I think it's safe to say that Russia contributed greatly to the Nazi's defeat, but god forbid the West not get all of the credit.

Maybe they were running toward your direction away from the western fronts.

All factions had a hand in it, and all were important for the outcome. Not just one entity alone.

Actually, the USSR was well under way to defeat the Nazis on its own. The soviets were first in Berlin, so they did win the war (with a little help from the West). When everyone was defending against Hitler, they were the ones who took the battle to Germany.
I think the west joined to prevent communism from spreading beyond Berlin.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOracle
Actually, the USSR was well under way to defeat the Nazis on its own. The soviets were first in Berlin, so they did win the war (with a little help from the West). When everyone was defending against Hitler, they were the ones who took the battle to Germany.
I think the west joined to prevent communism from spreading beyond Berlin.

That is really misrepresenting the reality of events.

The Western & Southern (i.e. Italian/African) Fronts were key in redirecting resources from the Eastern Front. In no way shape or form were the Soviets well on their way to defeating the Wehrmacht on their own.

The supply issues that Germany experienced were critical in stalling the German front as were the abject failures in air supremacy which the Germans had right from the start but which was lost due to the destruction of aircraft on the Western fronts.

The major successes of 'blitzkrieg' were achieved through coordinated attacks, achieving air supremacy and punching the fist of armoured assault through lines. Air supremacy was extremely thin after the initial successes in Soviet territory and it came down to a slugging match.

The Soviets had the distinct advantage of millions of troops which they simply threw at the fronts, regardless of the cost in casualties.

The battle in the west was crucial in giving the Soviets the breathing space to move their industry, which they accomplished very effectively, to ready themselves for their own assaults. It was a simple question of supply and demand, wasted through attrition on the German side without adequate reinforcements and material.

The vastness of the steppes could not even be imagined by the average German trooper and the supply issues were just way to difficult to overcome whilst simultaneously fighting on two or three other major fronts.

As has been pointed out before, the initial Nazi expansion into Poland was predicated on agreement with the Soviets to allow them to further their own empire. The Soviets, primarily Stalin, can not be painted as having entirely clean hands and Churchill was the most vociferous exponent of checking Soviet expansion during the latter months of the war.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by prionace glauca

Maybe they were running toward your direction away from the western fronts.

All factions had a hand in it, and all were important for the outcome. Not just one entity alone.

Maybe you are completely ignorant ? In fact the exact opposite happened : Germans escaped the east front to be captured by the americans.

Anyway, I think USA could have send it's president, then maybe Putin would have accepted.

[edit on 8-5-2010 by ickylevel]

[edit on 8-5-2010 by ickylevel]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join