It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Non firearm weaponry

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

However it should be noted that a cheep orange hairspray commonly found around Halloween did produce an intense green flame that vaporized half an aluminum pop can and cracked a porcelain sink. This was about 20 years ago now and may not be what is available today as far as contents.

As weapons go, I wouldn't reply on it for anything, but wouldn't want to be hit by it either.

Best quick and simple weapons to construct would be a quarterstaff, spear and atlatl.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
1. Firearms are illegal where Im at.
2. I swore never to use or own a firearm again when I left the military.
I dont worry about it contrary to popular belief the world isnt going to end anytime soon. I avoid conflict areas or placing myself in dangerous situations. If all else fails.. then Im confident with my skill in martial arts and can/will defend myself as necessary. Funny though havent had to since left stateside.. People in my part of the world busy with actually living life rather than worrying about the end of the world.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
1. Firearms are illegal where Im at.
2. I swore never to use or own a firearm again when I left the military.
I dont worry about it contrary to popular belief the world isnt going to end anytime soon. I avoid conflict areas or placing myself in dangerous situations. If all else fails.. then Im confident with my skill in martial arts and can/will defend myself as necessary. Funny though havent had to since left stateside.. People in my part of the world busy with actually living life rather than worrying about the end of the world.

I'm sure the people in Haiti weren't worried about the end of the world. Sometimes bad times will come and it is wise to be prepared for that situation.
Not all survival minded people sit in the corner of their basement hugging a shotgun and counting M.R.E.'s.
We have jobs, businesses and family's. Knowing that I'm prepared makes enjoying life that much easier.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by DucTape

In event of natural disaster here people do as theyve always done - help each other out in times of need. Unlike western countries where it turns into mob rule when a disaster strikes.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I have a small crossbow, but it needs a new string etc, and bolts.

My favourite is a plain steel blade, about 3/4 a metre long. The machete remains africa's number 1 killer, the on;y thing i don't have yet is a shield, was thinking a re-inforced trashcan lid, somehow mounted to the forearm.

My next purchase is a .177 air rifle, no license required. Down side is reloading time, up side enough impact to stun and injure, if you're in my yard and accuracy up to exterior perimetre.

My greatest threat is home invasion by up to 20 armed and machete wielding thugs. So perimiter security is 1, home exterior 2, and home interior 3. I reckon that if i can at least keep them to 1 entry i have some chance.

If in a home invasion scenrio, the other thing to keepin mind is the probability that they would set the house alight to force you out. Have a bucket handy.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

Urban areas turn to mob rule, Rural people help each other out.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
dogs are great too. they are one of the only weapons that protects you while you sleep. i choose this order:

1) rottweiler - smart
2) pitbull - ballsy
3) doberman - loyal

i think if you had all 3 you'd be set. German shepherds are good all around if your only able to have 1.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by DucTape

Good to hear that in the rural areas people help each other out still.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by LurkerMan

Dogs are great, I love mine much. But when shtf a dog can quickly become a liability, especially little yip dogs. It's hard to hide with a dog that won't shut up. Mine aren't yip dogs, thankfully.

Also, the larger the dog, the more food you have to provide. Dogs can and will find food for themselves, but the less dependent on you it is, the less likely it is to return to you.

There will be a LOT of feral dogs due to people leaving behind pets or pets leaving their people. Those dogs can be very dangerous because they aren't afraid of people and when they're hungry, people = food. Some will come to you wanting food, some will see you as the food.

I know many will see the feral dogs as food, all I can say on that is, do what ya gotta do.

Anyway...I like dogs and mine don't eat much

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Sword, combat and hunting knives and a machete would work for me. All can be carried on my person or strapped to my pack. I have no need for a gun, too noisy in most cases.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by DucTape

I'm in the UK so i'm limited, i have shot rifles with licensed friends, i have used air rifles and of course shotguns. If you are takling about non licensed items i have the following as a suggestion. I of course assume the law isn't important in a SHTF scenario.

1. Spring powered air rifles and the parts to service them.

2. A bow and arrow (note it's illegal to hunt with a bow and arrow in the UK)

3. A hunting catapult

4. Traps/Snares

5. Spears

6. Crossbow

That's about it.

I have hunted with a catapult and it works fine but you need a lot of practice to take small vermin, unless you hit them right they will run off and die somewhere you won't find them. Birds in flight are an easy target though and the crash into the ground will stun them enough to take them.

The bow and arrow is my second favorite, i haven't hunted with it of course as that is illegal but i've used it in practice a lot and have been continually impressed with it's power and accuracy. A good bow and arrow can take down a deer which will feed you for a long time and a bow and arrow can be made in the field. I carry a few good bowstrings in my BOB. They have uses beyond a bow but it's good to have them there.

Even so i prefer traps to most things. Traps are hit and miss but they're easy to set up. If you set 5 large traps and 40 small snares you will no doubt get something.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
check "the slingshot channel" way cool.
i have a few knives, a machete, light axe.
i covet my double barrel shotgun.
a bow or crossbow would be a fine 2nd choice.

[edit on 30-8-2010 by p51mustang]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by LurkerMan
reply to post by Calaustria

the really cheap paintballs still freeze, like the ones that come with the gun in "starter packs" at walmart.

altho you are correct most other balls do not freeze, in which case you buy jaw breakers or jumbo gobstoppers (the individualy wrapped jawbreakers and "atomic bombs" are just a hair bigger than a paintball and require soaking off the first layer of color).

but i assure you the green balls that come with the guns in any of the walmart markers freeze. i believe the brand is "Stryker". dunno if its the same everywhere else.

another round that worked well but takes some time to make is, cut open the paintball and empty the paint, then cut each half of the shell apart with a razor blade, and fill each half with chewing gum. then let the gum get hard, and super glue the 2 halves together.

you can easily mold the gum to the shape of each paintball-half. and it doesnt work as well with the cheaper guns that dont have a velocity adjustment.

if you have money, there's a company that makes paintballs filled with red pepper powder called "Deter-it", similar to the stuff in pepper spray.

Paintballs can freeze but will NOT be fire-able in a marker. A paintball marker is .68 caliber, when a paintball, freezes it expands and thus wouldn't be able to fire in the gun. I have more then a decade of experience with paintball so i know how these things work. You would have better luck resin casing marbles to .68 caliber then freezing a paintball. I'm tired of people saying this works, because it doesn't. Even if you did somehow freeze it, it doesn't mean it would shoot straight. The point of the projectile in the marker is for it to be as close to a sphere as possible, and expanding the round would only distort the shape even more. Thus you would be shooting all over the place and probably wouldn't be able to hit a car at 50 ft. Now as for the pepper powder your talking about. You almost got it right, its called Capsaicin II balls and their used for Non lethal means to subdue people such as in riots or house raids. You can't kill a person with Capsaicin II but it stings like sh**. It works by impacting on or around a persons face, which it then in turn causes a person to choke and gag due to the pepper powder filling your eyes and throat/lungs. Only problem about this is most stores wont sell it unless your law enforcement or military with proof. If you want to know more about it check this link out.

www.rap4.com...

Honestly if you don't believe me on the freezing issue, i dare you to actually conduct an experiment. Tape yourself on camera using regular (Room temp) paintballs and then using the same brand...freeze some. Shoot a target from 50 feet away and see how close your grouping shots are. I'm willing to bet money you don't get close with the frozen ones. If you can prove me wrong ill remove my post, until then...stop posting misinformation, especially about a favorite hobby of mine.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Now as to the question at hand. Honestly be f'ing reasonable here. Most if not more then half of you have never actually killed a man before, and even those who have done so "Hopefully" didnt enjoy it. What makes you think your going to be able to slit a man's throat if you never did it before. Your better off figuring out how to knock a man out or choke him out and tying/gagging him. Most people would freeze or go half way through before actually killing someone. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, its good some people still have morals and a conciseness when it comes to human life. You need to have a weapon which YOU can use with ease. I always tell family to carry "legal" knives. Legal around me is under 3 inch blade. You really don't need a HUGE Rambo knife if you know what your doing. I see people talking about using swords and i laugh my a** off. Show of hands here, how many people have actually participated in a real sword fight to the death in their lifetime? Now another show of hands, how many people have seen any wars or skirmish's in the past 100 years that used nothing but swords to battle? Personally i think a machete like Eli's from Book of Eli would serve a better purpose then a "Wall hanger" sword. Here's a little known fact, those swords you get on TV or in a Pawn shop/Convention center. Are NOT sharpened to kill, in fact its against US policy to allow them to be sold like that. Another fact, Swords you HANG on your wall, are meant for just that....decoration. Inside the hilt (Handle area) is a long or short tang. The tang determines the quality of the swords durability. If the tang breaks....well then you have no more sword since the handle is now in 2 pieces. Wall hanging swords have very small and sh**y tang's. They break if you hit something hard enough. So if you think your going to use a fake sword that's not "battle ready", you are wrong. If you think your going to run around and swing a sword at people with guns, you are wrong. Lets think a little more plausible people...

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Look up atlatl on google out youtube, it's an ancient weapon, the precursor to the bow and arrow supposedly used to Pierce the hides of mastadon. They're quick to make and pretty easy too get good at, with a long range, and quite accurate. Also, they've got stopping power. Basically, it consists if a spear( dart) and a launcher. While your at it, the us army survival guide is a good read and you can find y at bookstores or online.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   
A car with a sufficient mass can be a weapon, Just as deadly as a gun.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
This may appear to be a bit of a tangent but if your personal safety is at question and you have an abode to base yourself from, I would invest my efforts in man-traps. Easy to construct, have a debilitating mental influence on the attacker if an aggressor is injured and he/she is traveling as a multiple packet. Also, early warning passive alarms which allow you to know if there is a potential attack about to unfold and allowing you to escape.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I have a spear and a tomahawk made from bone and wood, along with several large kitchen knives. Would they help?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join