It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Angels are messengers of god?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
The word "angel" comes from the greek "angelos" which comes from the hebrew "malak" meaning "messenger".

First, the omnipresent biblical god often spoke to people himself according to the bible, so why did he need messengers? What determined when he needed to use a messenger?

Next, if he created angels before man, who were they supposed to be messengers for if there was no one to give a message to?

[edit on 7-5-2010 by Hydroman]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Hydroman

Maybe before man, the angels were just around to praise god. He seems to put a lot of emphasis on getting the praise. Like you said, what else were they around for?

When Adam and Eve were kicked out of the garden there was an angel with a flaming sword put at the gate to Eden. That 's the first time off the top of my head angels were specifically mentioned.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Depends which viewpoint you look at it,i dont think they were just described as angels and they were not merely just messengers.
thankyou for your time

link~en.wikipedia.org...

link~en.wikipedia.org...

regards to all

[edit on 02/05/10 by FeatheredSerpent]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Angels were basically created as Gods servants

If i remember correctly

[edit on 7-5-2010 by ItsAgentScully]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ItsAgentScully
Angels were basically created as Gods servants

They are no more servants than you or i.

regards to all

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
In Islam we view angels as messengers (one of their roles anyway).

Gabriel is specifically called a messenger in the Quran.

It's interesting that you say that in Hebrew language, Malak means messenger... In Arabic (a related Semitic language) they are called Malaika.

However the Arabic word for messenger is rasul.

Just food for thought.

[edit on 7-5-2010 by FalselyFlagged]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman
The word "angel" comes from the greek "angelos" which comes from the hebrew "malak" meaning "messenger".

First, the omnipresent biblical god often spoke to people himself according to the bible, so why did he need messengers? What determined when he needed to use a messenger?

Next, if he created angels before man, who were they supposed to be messengers for if there was no one to give a message to?

If you think of everything as been made of energy. This could be easily explained.

There is a reason why God can't communicate directly with us. There is a reason why God would need to have angels.

If you know that matter is compressed energy. You know that matter emit energy.

If you look at this in a 3d dimension. You would have the matter in the middle surrounded by emitted energy. This tells you that there is a barrier between the matter and infinity.

If God is referred to as being infinity you would see Gods problem. God does not interact directly with matter. God only interact directly with emitted energies.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Their names say who they are. They are messengers. That's what they are called. Why would they be called that if that's not what they are? So, before man existed, who did they give messages to?

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
reply to post by Hydroman

Maybe before man, the angels were just around to praise god. He seems to put a lot of emphasis on getting the praise. Like you said, what else were they around for?

When Adam and Eve were kicked out of the garden there was an angel with a flaming sword put at the gate to Eden. That 's the first time off the top of my head angels were specifically mentioned.

Yeah, these gods sure do live their worship. It's sick, if you ask me.

If I created a race, I wouldn't command worship like that.

Utter bollocks.

[edit on 5/7/2010 by impaired]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by spy66

If you think of everything as been made of energy. This could be easily explained.

There is a reason why God can't communicate directly with us. There is a reason why God would need to have angels.

If you look at this in a 3d dimension. You would have the matter in the middle surrounded by emitted energy. This tells you that there is a barrier between the matter and infinity.

If God is referred to as being infinity you would see Gods problem. God does not interact directly with matter. God only interact directly with emitted energies.

How did he interact with Adam and Eve? How did he interact with Moses on Mt. Sinai? How did he interact with Abraham, Noah, Jonah, etc....?

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by impaired

If I created a race, I wouldn't command worship like that.

If I created a race, it would be all women. Then I'd have to populate the planet, if you know what I mean.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Sorry i disagree~

Seraphim
Main article: Seraph

Seraphim (singular "Seraph"), mentioned in Isaiah 6:1-7 [6], serve as the caretakers of God's throne and continuously shout praises: "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts. All the earth is filled with His Glory." The name Seraphim means "the burning ones."~wikipedia

Cherubim
Main article: Cherub

They have four faces: one of each a man, an ox, a lion, and an eagle. The ox-face is considered the "true face", as later on in Ezekiel the ox's face is called a cherub's face (Chapter 10). They have four conjoined wings covered with eyes, and they have ox's feet.

Cherubim are considered the elect beings for the purpose of protection. Cherubim guard the way to the tree of life in the Garden of Eden (Genesis 3:24)[7] and the throne of God (Ezekiel 28:14-16). ~wikipedia

link~en.wikipedia.org...

doesnt say messenger there?
thankyou for your time.

regards to all

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Angels, of course, are nothing more than Literal interpretation of a promoted Human Being. Still capable of good and evil.

So, yes, you could say in the Christianic viewpoint, yes.

As, they tend to think they can get away with murder.

Now, in the Philisophical standpoint, as in paraphrasing, they are typically mentioned in Bibles before conflict, an omen/foreshadowing, or forewarning of someone's death.

This is what many Theological people would refer to as 'conflict'. As in, perpetual violence over-reigned by a Watchful Eye.

The plagues refered to in the Bible could be seen as a "Motivator"; where one who is facing Death can try to "Fall" a person. In Street Lingo, for no good reason.

If the opponent defrays, well---they're just looking for a better fight.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by spy66

How did he interact with Adam and Eve? How did he interact with Moses on Mt. Sinai? How did he interact with Abraham, Noah, Jonah, etc....?

Good question.

God could only have done it through a spirit.

God is everything even though he is not directly a finite. Finite are created from infinity. That makes God the owner of everything. God is basically everything even the finite. So i guess he does have some abilities.

But God could only appear as a spirit since he is infinite. It would be quite hard for him to compress all of himself into our finite existence.

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Their names say who they are. They are messengers. That's what they are called. Why would they be called that if that's not what they are? So, before man existed, who did they give messages to?

They did not speak a human language before people existed (why would they?). So ANGEL is a human word that does not define who they are. Different angels have different aspects: fighting, bringing light, bringing messages etc. It's an attempt to help us conceptualize them.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by FeatheredSerpent
Sorry i disagree~

Seraphim
Main article: Seraph

Seraphim (singular "Seraph"), mentioned in Isaiah 6:1-7 [6], serve as the caretakers of God's throne and continuously shout praises: "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts. All the earth is filled with His Glory." The name Seraphim means "the burning ones."~wikipedia

Cherubim
Main article: Cherub

They have four faces: one of each a man, an ox, a lion, and an eagle. The ox-face is considered the "true face", as later on in Ezekiel the ox's face is called a cherub's face (Chapter 10). They have four conjoined wings covered with eyes, and they have ox's feet.

Cherubim are considered the elect beings for the purpose of protection. Cherubim guard the way to the tree of life in the Garden of Eden (Genesis 3:24)[7] and the throne of God (Ezekiel 28:14-16). ~wikipedia

link~en.wikipedia.org...

doesnt say messenger there?
thankyou for your time.

regards to all

Perhaphs Seraph and Cherub are different from angels? Remember, the word for these beings used in Hebrew is "Malak", which means "messenger".

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by mark_price

They did not speak a human language before people existed (why would they?). So ANGEL is a human word that does not define who they are. Different angels have different aspects: fighting, bringing light, bringing messages etc. It's an attempt to help us conceptualize them.

Who did they fight before the fall? Who did they bring the light to before man? Who did they bring messages to before man?

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
So are animals. The Pagans knew this too and practitioners kept them as "mediums". I'm sure this will freak people out because I've made no secret of my faith, but the tenets of Paganism (except for the multiple deities part) do not conflict with the teaching of Jesus Christ. Wiccans (Strega, whatever sect) recognized Christ & feel no conflict, but that isn't mutual.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Ok,what about this~link~en.wikipedia.org...

This clearly says that angels were not just mere messengers.it also states....

~The theological study of angels is known as angelology. In art, angels are often depicted with wings, ultimately reflecting the descriptions in the Hebrew Bible, such as the chayot in Ezekiel's Merkabah vision or the Seraphim of Isaiah.~wikipedia

counting seraphim as part of the angels.thankyou for your time.

regards to all

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by mark_price

Who did they fight before the fall? Who did they bring the light to before man? Who did they bring messages to before man?

Assuming there was only one fall, then they probably didn't have much to fight about before that. The concepts I mentioned were for people; that was the point.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join