It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bugs Will Give Us Free Power While Cleaning Our Sewage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Bugs Will Give Us Free Power While Cleaning Our Sewage

gizmodo.com

You might think that fresh air would be essential for a sewage treatment plant, but some bacteria cannot stand the stuff. These bugs could clean waste water so efficiently that the process could generate power rather than consume it.

In conventional sewage plants, micro-organisms digest solid waste in "activated sludge". They convert the organic matter into methane but leave liquid waste containing ammonium and phosphates, which must be removed before the water can be poured into rivers.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
wow

this the futur i hope ... clean and efficient

i way to clean sewage wast and creat energy at the same time

this is the king of invention the deserve an award and funding

and im sure it is not the last time that we will see new invention like that ...

it is time for a new wave of new tech ...

gizmodo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
So this means I'm sitting on my most powerful asset to society now?

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Actually you should probably know that so long as TPTB can't make money off of it, you'll probably never see anything like this become mainstream (ie, Nicola Tesla)

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Apparently, this is news in the Netherlands. Maybe, Europe is a little behind the times in sewage treatment.

The USA has been using methane gas off sewage digestors for over the last 40 or so years in hundreds of treatment plants.

In many cases, the gas is used to heat the sludge going into the digestor so the bugs will grow even faster. This heating occurs by utilizing heat exchangers to pump the liquid sludge through tubes exposed to fire (very much like a fire tube boiler). The biggest problem with the methane gas is that it is usually wet and has to pass through gas dryers before it can be used efficiently.

In some cases, such as the Hyperion Plant in Los Angles, the methane is fed to a power plant. The power plant supplies free electricity back to the sewage plant.

As for the nitrite levels, this has been addressed over the years by various treatment options and EPA regulations.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Portugoal

nicolas tesla was a weird genious....people strat to give him the credit he deserve

new topics

top topics

join