It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attacks signal end of poppy harvest in Afghanistan

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte
People always cite this as proof that the Taliban were against drugs. They did destroy a lot of the fields and production while they were in power. The reason: to shorten supply and drive up the price. You see, they had warehouses full of the stuff and wanted to get the most profit from it.

Now that is a funny one, I guess you haven't met a heroin addict lol.. The demand for such drugs are always up, even if production levels are high.. So why stop production again?

I thought the Taliban were hardcore Muslim Extremists? One thing I know about Muslims in general, is that they don't agree with any intoxicating drugs, including alcohol..

So please, ohh god please, try again..

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

You've hit the nail on the head. The Taliban are hardline islamic fundamentalists. If I'm not mistaken the penalty for simple possesion of narcotics according to these people is death.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Sorry, but you're wrong. Demand remains the same and supply goes down then price will go up, that is economics 101. A glut of opium on the market can and does drive the price down. Besides, they sell their supply to smugglers that bring it into Western markets, so the end user demand has little to do with the price of the bulk product in Afghanistan.

Taliban need weapons and money to bribe officials so they make use of the heroin market to make this money. I doubt that the devoutly religious are users but then again some may be, and many Afghani citizens do smoke opium, whether they are religious or not.

By the way, you sound like a pompous blowhard. Are you?

[edit on 8-5-2010 by TheComte]

[edit on 8-5-2010 by TheComte]

new topics

<< 1   >>

join