Kanellos: The Greek Protest Dog

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
+15 more 
posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
This pooch loves to protest!

A dog that has been seen at nearly every demonstration in Athens over the last two years has turned up again during the recent protests against new austerity measures

Link

This dog doesn't mess around, and he HATES his freedoms being trampled on! I wonder if somehow he can associate the guards as the "bad guys", and in a way knows he is protesting for his freedom???

-E-

[edit on 7-5-2010 by MysterE]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

I know! Ive seen that dog in loads of pictures in the paper.

He's certainly hounding them riot police.

Maybe a relative of Cerberus.......? (minus two heads.)

[edit on 7/5/10 by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Personally I would never take my dog to a protest because I would not like to risk her getting hurt because I take my responsibility in regard to her care very seriously indeed. That dog is there for what reason exactly? To make the owner look cool or is the dog aware of the austerity measures and is looking to make his mark? Rather he is there more likely because he is loyal to his human and sadly this loyalty may end up getting this dog hurt.

I watched that dog last night on the news and I was hoping that someone would take the dog home before it ended up gassed or brained with a rock. As a joke to my wife I said “Wow even that dog is throwing rocks.”

Cool dog though, I would love to give it a good brushing and nuzzle its face and stroke it and maybe give it a lamb heart... Ok I will stop now

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Yesterday while all of this was unfolding, my attention was on the dog. I'd be worried if I was the dog owner taking him to a protest, I don't think the riot police would hestitate to shoot him if he got too threatening to them. That be said, he looks like an amazing dog with his own unique personality.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by MysterE

This dog doesn't mess around, and he HATES his freedoms being trampled on! I wonder if somehow he can associate the guards as the "bad guys", and in a way knows he is protesting for his freedom???

γουφ γουφ

Greek dogs are awesome!

That is all ...

ETA: His name btw is like saying (male) Cinnamon.

[edit on 7 May 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Top Dog. Reminds me of the book "Fluke" by James Herbert.

I wonder..My dogs don't like uniform at all and it's not down to training.

Maybe good souls get to come back as dogs...mmm....tripe..

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I agree with you all, my dog would not be near such an event. Now if something did happen to a dog, he would mecome a maryter, and spur even more hatred from the opposition. So, I bet they know not to mess with him. (Hopefully)

-E-

+3 more 
posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Actually this is a stray dog, all stray dogs in Athens wear a collar, put on by the county, they "belong" to the county so in fact he is the first "county asset" protesting against his masters.

I think i have a new mascot.

Χαιρε σκυλε. (shine, dog)

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Back in the 50's and 60's American Police officers would use Dogs on protestors from civil rights to the Vietnam war... I think if the protestors had brought their own big dogs it would have been different.

Maybe this is the reason the owner brought his pooch, to protect him/her from possible police dog attacks....

Dogs I think are often smarter than their handlers, I think this dog was trained to do just that. Dogs typically avoid large loud crowds unless they are trained not to... Make sense?

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Dynamitrios

really he's a stray?? wow I had no idea, they collared strays and then let them loose, wierd.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
heh, he's been doing this for a while ....

Caninarchist FTW!

[edit on 7 May 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

Yep, almost every stray dog is collared and registered here.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Wow, thanks for the link.

You know, if something would happen to this dog during a protest, it would propably cause a bigger fire than the one time a cop shot the 16 year old kid.

he is somewhat of a guardian angel...canine

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Wow, a stray! That makes it all the more impressive!

-E-

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I just found out that kanellos sadly passed away on the 2nd of July 2008.

But athenian people say there are already other dogs which took his place.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Small update.

Kanellos was stray but in his last days he was adopted by an unknown stranger.
He was born in the polytechnicum (athens university) and lived there his whole life, also in the precinct called "Exarchia", after he was sprayed with chemicals by the riot police he limbed on his hind legs. Some unknown people bought the medication and treated him from then on, and also built some kind of "wheelchair" for him. He still marched with the people, even though he was hurt. Then some day, he was "abducted" and brought to the local dog catcher, where he was caged. His "comrades" (students of the polytechnicum) found and rescued him.
He died of old age.

Theres a very moving vid on YT which shows him in his last days in a comfy appartment where he was fed with good stuff and could rest on a soft carpet instead the cobble stone.

Sigh, im kinda sad

Kanellos and the humans (name of vid all in greek though)

[edit on 7-5-2010 by Dynamitrios]

[edit on 7-5-2010 by Dynamitrios]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Maybe he's the reincarnation of Karl Marx. He's made it all the way
back from flies('
')

I thought this kind of stuff was what BTS was for?

[edit on 7-5-2010 by UMayBRite!]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by UMayBRite!

Well, it has to do with the riots in Greece, which are pretty current, so its "other current events"

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Thank you very much for your contributions to this thread. Kanellos was quite a dog, and I'm glad to hear he was loved and taken care of in his final days.

-E-

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Youre welcome, after all you brought that dog to my attention, and even though im greek i didnt know about, just moved here recently from Germany.

And while searching the net for info about Kanellos i found this moving video with this great song (the one i posted last).

So I have to thank YOU for enriching and widening my horizon.

Also i really like your avatar^^

new topics

<<   2  3 >>

join