It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird Tiny Microbes -w- Tiny Genomes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Tiny free living microbes are found in acidic mine drainage, & co-existing with them are other larger microbes can can grow spikes to stab them with.

Weird, Ultra-Small Microbes Turn Up in Acidic Mine Drainage

ScienceDaily (May 6, 2010) — In the depths of a former copper mine in Northern California dwell what may be the
smallest, most stripped-down
forms of life ever discovered.

. . .
Archaea -- are smaller than other known microorganisms, rivaled in size only by a microbe that can survive solely as a parasite attached to the outside of other cells. Their genomes, . . . are among the smallest ever reported.
. . .
"Other cells in the mine have what looks like a needle that sometimes pokes right into the cells," . . . These cellular extensions are only present when this interaction between the microbes is seen,
www.sciencedaily.com...

The spectrum of ['identified'] life expands further.
And we also find articulated predation there.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
You quote the article somewhat wrongly - Archaea aren't nescessarily in general the ones with the smallest genomes. They are actually closer to eukaryotes than prokaryotes are.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thain Esh Kelch
You quote the article somewhat wrongly - Archaea aren't nescessarily in general the ones with the smallest genomes. They are actually closer to eukaryotes than prokaryotes are.

Prokaryotes (pro karyon - before nucleus) = Archaea and Bacteria
Eukaryotes (eu karyon - true/good nucleus) = Fungi, Plants, Animals and Protists (Amoebozoa, Chromalveolata, Rhizaria & Excavata)

Archaea are closer to Eukaryotes than Bacteria. The closest known bacteria to Archaea and Eukaryotes are Gram-positive bacteria. Some even claim Archaea and Eukaryotes evolved from them. Scientific community however is not convinced..

..quoting the article here:

The team reconstructed the genomes of three distinct lineages of ARMAN and found them to be tiny -- a mere 1 million base pairs, in contrast to hundreds of billions in humans

Rubbish. Human genome is about 3 billion bp, not 100s of billions bps in size.

[edit on 8-5-2010 by rhinoceros]

new topics

join