It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neanderthal genes found in some modern humans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Neanderthal genes found in some modern humans

www.cosmosmagazine.com/news

SYDNEY: As humans migrated out of Africa 100,000 to 50,000 years ago, some individuals interbred with Neanderthal and as a result some genetic sequences can be found in all non-African humans, according to an international team of scientists.

"It's cool to think that some of us have a little Neanderthal DNA in us," said Svante Pääbo from the Max-Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig, Germany, lead author of the study published in Science.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
This may add a new take on what happened to the Neanderthals. Perhaps they went extinct due to more than homo sapien aggression. Perhaps they were also interbred out of existence.

ETA:
This is possibly where multiple races in Homo sapiens came from.

[edit on 5/7/2010 by OrphenFire]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Very interesting my misses says im a caveman.
thought you might like to c this how the migration happened.
there is a better one than this but i can not find it ,it shows how we was nearly destroyed a few times,but i lost the link.
heres the one i found.
www.bradshawfoundation.com...

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
So is it some, or all?

"some individuals interbred with Neanderthal and as a result some genetic sequences can be found in all non-African humans"

"It's cool to think that some of us have a little Neanderthal DNA in us,"

Sounds contradictory to me.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
This is fascinating stuff. Still, there'll be people who just flat out reject it.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
In the past few years, there have been numerous anthropological discoveries that have altered the concept of human lineage.

The "hobbit"
www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/11/091119101034.htm
Earliest homo sapiens
news.nationalgeographic.com...
Fossil finger indicates new human species
www.nature.com/news/2010/100324/full/464472a.html

Of course, debate will rage over the fossils and classification in relation to our human line, but how can one argue with DNA and the Neanderthal connection? Wow!

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I posted this on an old Rh- thread also. Here's an interesting article suggesting a link between Asperger's, Rh- blood and Neanderthals: www.rdos.net...

There's a link there for a good Aspie test that gives you a circular graph showing how much Aspie/Neurotypical you are.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by fanthorpe

So is it some, or all?

"some individuals interbred with Neanderthal and as a result some genetic sequences can be found in all non-African humans"

"It's cool to think that some of us have a little Neanderthal DNA in us,"

Sounds contradictory to me.

It says "all non-Africans". I believe that means anyone who isn't Black is going to have Neanderthal DNA. We know Homo sapiens originated in Africa. They were most likely Black. Neanderthals originated in Europe. They were pale, like White people. It is now my belief that non-African races owe their lighter skin to Neanderthal DNA. Is it a coincidence that all non-Africans have Neanderthal DNA and the Africans don't? I don't think so. Is it also a coincidence that the palest of the non-African races are European, from the birthplace of the Neanderthals? Again, I think not. Is it further a coincidence that the closer you get to Africa, the darker the races become? Probably not!

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphenFire

Romantic Rebel's Thread:
You're a Neanderthal: Genes say yes — a little bit

berenike's Thread:
DNA reveals our ancestors interbred with Neanderthals

ModernAcademia's Thread:
New Genome Shows Neanderthal Trace In Humans

JacKatMtn (Forum Moderator's) Closed Thread:
Neanderthals and humans interbred, fossils indicate

There's been a lot of news today on this subject. But again, I'll mention, my thread from May 4 of last year, which discusses, among other topics, the targeting of the androgen sensitive (possibly Neanderthal) phenotype, which confers increased risk of migraine headache and epilepsy, for pharmaceutical epigenetic damage as well as the phenotype's naturally increased mercury sensitivity and some of the implications of that in the actual causes of autism, Asperger's, and ADHD. I also mention one pharmaceutical cause of AIDS, long term high dose valproic acid, presented sometimes as a panacea to those of the Neanderthal phenotype, a fate I do not recommend.

Mass sterilization campaign Exposed! This Includes You! Epigenotoxins! Legal Loophole!

reply to post by MobOfOne

In fact I mention this RDOS link as well. Nice find.

[edit on 7-5-2010 by elusive1]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Great Thread!

I must admit to being quite fond of Neanderthal Man. I have always subscribed to the belief that they interbred with Homosapiens. I saw a BBC Doc recently that showed an ancient burial of a little homosapien girl buried in the traditional Neanderthal way with all the trimmings etc. Very Interesting!

IRM

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by elusive1

reply to post by MobOfOne

Nice links & info. Didn't know this was being discussed already. Lots of people picked this up!

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by dashar
Very interesting my misses says im a caveman.

Unfortunately I'm seeing a lot of people referring to Neanderthals as "cavemen" in the other threads about this subject. This is a huge misconception! Neanderthals were not "cavemen". Cavemen were Homo heidelbergensis, the evolutionary stage right before the split. That is, the single ancestor to both Neanderthals and humans.

Read my thread about it here.

top topics

join