It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Crashed Space Balloon sold to recycler for $100AU

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Last week in the Northern Territory, Australia, a NASA Space Balloon loaded with experimental equiptment, and costing a quite a few million dollars, crashed on take off ...

www.abc.net.au...

Im yet to find the source online, but Northern Territory newspaper reported on ABC Night Life has just said that tomorrow there is a story in the paper ...

Julian Richie - Northern Territory News

Alice Springs Company 'Metal Recyclers' has told them (the paper) that they paid $100 (AU) for what was left of the balloon (worth many millions of dollars when it was on the launch truck). Scientists said that the millions of dollars worth of equipment that was left over has been collected and taken with them back to the USA.

Want to buy a used NASA Space Balloon?

[edit on 7/5/10 by Smiggle]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I thought it was a bit smaller than this one.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7beb3ab4b809.jpg[/atsimg]

Cheap buy though

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Grey Magic

Nice balloon!

I did find the article,
www.ntnews.com.au...
and it was printed today in the Northern Territory Paper - not much more news than what I reported, but ...

Dr Ravi Sood, an astrophysicist from the University of New South Wales who was overseeing the balloon launch, said there was no expensive debris that had been left behind in Alice Springs.

I was thinking Id love to make a garden sculpture from that $100 worth of space junk ... great talking point at a BBQ

Smigs

join