It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uncovering The Threat Of Cell Phone Spyware

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
This morning on our local news we had this little story on cell phone spywear... in the biz its better known as a Roving-bug
I'll provide a link to the entire story but first a few highlights...

Carr said there are several companies selling spy software that can infiltrate even the most high-tech phones.

So what can the software do?

"I can follow you around if your phone has GPS technology. I can see where you are, I can read your e-mails, I can read your text messaging," said Carr.

Once Robin makes a phone call from several miles away, a cell phone in the newsroom receives a text message alert about her call. The newsroom cell phone is able to listen to the phone call between Robin and her fiance.

Robin's GPS location could also be continuously monitored.

And even with her phoned turned off, her conversation over lunch with her colleague Laura could be heard on the newsroom cell phone.

Internet companies in the U.K., Thailand and Taiwan sell the software.

Prices range from $50 to $3,000, and installation is easier than you might think.

Link to stroy
Here are some possible signs that your phone has been infected with spyware:

Strange numbers calling or texting your phone.

Your battery quickly runs low after charging.

Your phone is hot to the touch, even after not using it for a while.

Strange beeps of vibrations when you're on a call, or when you're not using your phone.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Star and Flag!

Ive often wonderd about the threat of spy ware/malware on my phone, as I use it regularly to access the Net, even here.
I keep getting 'paranoid' about spoofing too, the amount of times ive enterd a password and then get told to enter it again for no reason makes me wonder.
I dont know how well Phone Browsers are at stopping hacks etc, but it really 'BUGS' me. Seriously.
Also, my batterys charge goes quite quick, but I put that down to the age of my phone (3 years).

And, another random thing, the browser takes up 159kb yet lately changes to 163kb, even when Ive deleted cookies, cleard the cache etc.
Its absolutely random as!

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
just wanted all to know the web site does have suggestions on how to remove bugs... its means resetting to factroy so you love all those nifty apps and other stuff... still better than being spied upon right?

new topics

join