It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mosque to go up near New York's ground zero

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
My opinion on this is as follows

One side of me says they bought the land and they should be able to build a Mosque there. You will not be able to see the Mosque from the WTC site and the fact is that Moslems are already using the building there for overflow prayer area from a nearby Mosque.

My other side sees this as a very insensitive move on the part of the Moslem community, wether intentional or not this will be seen by many as a way of asserting dominance in a very in your face way. Much in the way that the design of the Shanksville Memorial was seen to be more of a memorial to Islam than to the folks that were murdered there.The site for this Mosque is approximately 200 meters from the WTC site, for me that is way too close, I think for many people who lost friends and relatives that day this is very much a slap in the face.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkStormCrow

Welcome to America.. Where freedom is only valued when it doesn't "offend the community".

Too bad this isn't a democracy, it's a constitutional republic.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by RizeorDie
reply to post by Wondering302

but that doesnt matter because 911 was done by the government and not muslims.

Says YOU and people that live in the fantasy world.
Get real.

As long as this church doesn't house terrorists, and doesn't raise money for them, I'm fine with it.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by FalselyFlagged
reply to post by DarkStormCrow

Welcome to America.. Where freedom is only valued when it doesn't "offend the community".

Too bad this isn't a democracy, it's a constitutional republic.

I agree that Constitutional Freedoms are paramount in importance to the development of our society in a positive direction.

That is why I am playing devils advocate here, because I would like people to realize that IF they are going to defend a inflammatory incident like placing a mosque next to GZ, than I request to see this same defense of various other points of view.

I would like to see them defend a Nazi memorial next to a Jewish synagogue.

Or I would also like to see them defend WBC and their antics at military funerals.

When I start seeing the big detractors of this thread support these other incidents of Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Religion; than my job is complete.

I just don't think it's fair that such double standards are so common.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by FalselyFlagged

Well you are about 49 years a one month late on welcoming me to my homeland
I am also well aware of the difference between a Constitutional Republic and a Democracy thank you very much.

I did not say the Mosque should not be allowed, but if someone of the Moslem faith can not see where this would be at the least insensitive and at the most an in your face assertation of dominance then they are pretty much daft.

To bad that the Cordoba Initiative could not spend a bit of money to help restore St Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church if they were really serious about improving Moslem relations with the west.

[edit on 5/7/2010 by DarkStormCrow]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by silencer
Free speech and freedom are only applicable when it suits people. I say let people draw cartoons of Mohammad (even though I am against it because of the 'Respect others's beliefs' mentality I have) and also let people build Mosques anywhere they want as long as they have legal permit.

This is the kind of thinking I want to see more.

I want to see people protect Freedom from BOTH SIDES.

The ugly and the uglier.

This is the only way we are going to overcome the insanity. Is when people can become solid in their beliefs and consistent in their actions/words.

But if everyone becomes fair in their condemnation of various groups; than we wouldn't have this issue at all, because Respect and Dignity would be commonplace and widespread.

However this is not the case, and that is why this debate on this subject exists right now today in our culture.

We have to explore the issues to really get to the meat of what is going on here.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Hey, if somebody wants to buy the real estate and start a Nazi Memorial, then they have the right to do that under the first amendment. Nobody should stop them legally (although I'm sure their windows would get broken out frequently, maybe firebombed).

Why do you think the KKK buys millions of dollars in real estate every year? Because they are protected too.

Why do the police guard the KKK rallies? Because their speech is protected too.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Oh that caused me to think of another example to make my point clear.

Westboro Baptist Church. They go to places they are not welcome (military funerals) and say things that are ugly, hateful, and reprehensible to almost everyone.

But is it right for them to do so? Is it respectful? Is it wise? Is it civil?

I don't think so.

Just as I would demand WBC leave funerals alone, I would ask that a mosque not be placed within such proximity to "Ground Zero".

They are the same issue. Respect of other people.

Which both incidents, WBC at a funeral saying hate-speech, and a mosque near GZ preaching islam (the widely accepted culprit of 911 in the majority of populations minds), are basically the same issue at their heart.

If you are going to defend this mosque on the grounds of Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Religion, lets see you defend WBC on these same grounds. Let's be fair now! Thanks.

[edit on 7-5-2010 by muzzleflash]

All I can say is,

AGREED.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   

but that doesnt matter because 911 was done by the government and not muslims. so muslims had nothing to do with the attacks, its ok, let them build a mosque.

Ahhh but don't let the government build any buildings anymore... Yeah!!

God you got so many stars for that, whats it like?

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf

but that doesnt matter because 911 was done by the government and not muslims. so muslims had nothing to do with the attacks, its ok, let them build a mosque.

Ahhh but don't let the government build any buildings anymore... Yeah!!

God you got so many stars for that, whats it like?

lol, don't forget, the 9/11 "truth" is the most popular conspiracy theory on here. He's going to get a lot of support for saying what the "truthers" want to hear.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I think building a mosque so close to ground zero is a slap in the face to the terrorist. They see that here, in America, we have that kind of openness and freedom of religion that they absolutely despise. Then the fact that we built it so close to their greatest accomplishment is even better.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wondering302
Sometimes I forget I'm on a conspiricy website and not a regular forum. I personally do not believe 9/11 was an inside job at least not totally. I do not trust our government one bit but this is too much IMO. forget it....take the country it's already falling apart (or fell apart long ago). Let's all just become Muslim, why the heck not. Hail Allah.....good god

Ahh you see, freedom of religion is like a prostitute.

You can use the "She gave it away" excuse when you rape her, and most numpties will accept it. Afterall she's a hooker!

Freedom does not mean "Walk all over me because I accept you."

this, people forget.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by BeastMaster2012
I got a great group for you to join for anyone who doesnt want this mosque to be built.

It's called the KKK, look them up and they will love your view on this situation.

You are in the klan?

And admit it?

Balls dude, Balls of monstrosity!!

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Sorry if this has been answered already, but:

What is the minimum distance that people would find acceptable?

I ask because this one, Masjid Manhattan‎, is only one block further away from the WTC site, and has been on that street since 1970 (new location a couple of doors down since 2008)

So is three blocks the magic number? If so, why?

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by GorehoundLarry
19 maniacs shouldn't represent an entire ethnic group or religion.

But then there is an unknown quantity of supporters..

and they will remain unknown as long as people consider it acceptable to tolerate a largely xenophobic and genocidal culture within a so called religion of peace.

It is odd how we hear more outrage from islam when it comes to outsiders accusing it of something silly, as opposed to when an atrocity committed from within it's boundaries is acted out. yes..?

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Why get upset? Its not our building China bought it and renamed the new tower One World Tower. They even plan to light it in Classic Communist Red.

You sent our army overseas on an undeclared war,wile your enemies sent bankers to bankrupt you and enclave you on the land you once defended.

History is important maybe you should teach it with some importance in schools.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SpectreDC

It's okay though, this just means whenever I would typically defend Christianity and any religion for any actions committed in that religions name as people manipulating other people to do something when there are ulterior motives involved, I'll just be like "THE WBC ARE EVIL AND SINCE I DONT SEE CHRISTIANS PARADING ON THE STREETS AGAINST THE WBC, ALL CHRISTIANS ARE GUILTY!" It's okay though, this just means whenever I would typically defend Christianity and any religion for any actions committed in that religions name as people manipulating other people to do something when there are ulterior motives involved, I'll just be like "THE WBC ARE EVIL AND SINCE I DONT SEE CHRISTIANS PARADING ON THE STREETS AGAINST THE WBC, ALL CHRISTIANS ARE GUILTY!"

Except that you'd be either blind or lying since the VIDEOED, PUBLIC instances of Christians loudly and in plain view, demonstrating and protesting against Phelp's church are so abundant.

Where are the equivalent videos of muslim protesting against the Islamo-terrorists? You can't just say "Google is your friend", because they don't exist.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

That is the Mosque the new on is intended to replace.

Article at this link No Mosque at Ground Zero against the Mosque

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by and14263

Originally posted by muzzleflash
And if you think Nazis were not religious extremists, you need to check out some of the information about their super weird occult like beliefs. The whole Aryan thing was purely religious at it's core.

Here is why it is wrong to build a Nazi Memorial in Israel.

1) You are pouring salt on a fresh wound.
2) You are asking for trouble.
3) Provoking a negative response simply for the fun of starting a fight.

This equates exactly to building a Mosque down the street from the most prolific and widely publicized site of a Islamic Extremist terrorist attack.

It fulfills the same 3 points.

1) You are pouring salt on a fresh wound.
2) You are asking for trouble.
3) Provoking a negative response simply for the fun of starting a fight.

I feel you are wrong.

ALL Nazis were against the Jews in a horrible way.

Not all Muslims want to cause terror. You are only pouring salt on the wound of a mis-educated person.

Bwahahahaha are you serious with the comment about how ALL Nazis were against the Jews????? ROFL you need to buy a few history books and read up a little dude.

When you do that, you might find that there were German Officers in the Nazi High Command that tried to EXECUTE HITLER!!!! How easily some things are forgotten.

For #s sake, are people on this site getting more idiotic as the days pass??? Or is it just a case of mass ignorance combined with people being to freaking lazy to do a little research???? I'm guessing with some individuals here it is a combination of all 3................

And as for the OP question, well, yes, it is an extremely safe bet that building a mosque so close to the site would piss off some of the families of those that died. Quite understandable. But then again, the US is a nation of 350+ Million people. So what gives the families the right to make decisions of the rest of the country????

And trust me, I have friends that are Muslims. Some of the nicest people you will meet. And you know what???? They are a hell of alot more peaceful when it comes to Religious Tolerance compared the the nutcase Christians going around. And you know what else??? These days, it seems that the Christians/Catholic Church KNOW they are losing ground, and people don't trust them anymore, so they are trying to demonize every other Religion to try and regain a foothold.

Bring back the days where you could not having to worry about offending every bloody person when you say something like "nice day today, huh???"

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas
reply to post by SpectreDC

Except that you'd be either blind or lying since the VIDEOED, PUBLIC instances of Christians loudly and in plain view, demonstrating and protesting against Phelp's church are so abundant.

Where are the equivalent videos of muslim protesting against the Islamo-terrorists? You can't just say "Google is your friend", because they don't exist.

I didn't have to look far to find an example. How about the OP article? Lol.

Daisy Khan, executive director of the Muslim society, described her vision of a center led by Muslims, but serving the community as a whole.

"It will have a real community feel, to celebrate the pluralism in the United States, as well as in the Islamic religion," Khan said. "It will also serve as a major platform for amplifying the silent voice of the majority of Muslims who have nothing to do with extremist ideologies. It will counter the extremist momentum."

"Three hundred of the victims were Muslim, that's 10 percent of the victims," she said. "We are Americans too. The 9/11 tragedy hurt everybody including the Muslim community. We are all in this together and together we have to fight against extremism and terrorism."

Didn't even have to use google.

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join