It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO's from the past - 2 incidents from 1972

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Here are two very interesting sightings from 1972. The first where a policeman actually fired several shots at the UFO. Soil samples were also taken after the event but they mysteriously dissapeared.
Also interesting, is the fact that both UFO's were witnessed by policemen or soldiers.

1. Fort Beaufort

At 9:00am on 26 June, farm worker de Klerk of the farm Braeside near Fort Beaufort in the eastern Cape, observed a puff of smoke in the sky which soon turned into a fireball. De Klerk informed farm owner Smit, who contacted the police after observing the object at tree top height. Smit fired eight shots at the object with a .303 caliber rifle, but apart from an audible thud as one bullet struck, there was no visible effect. Meanwhile police sergeant Kitching and police station commander Van Rensburg arrived.

The ufo was described as being a glossy black metallic colour and was shaped like a 44-gallon drum. It was three-legged and carried a vertical "aerial".
It also made a "whirring" sound.
Link 1

A further incident on the farm happened a few days later:

On Saturday 8 July during the night, Mr. Smit heard a loud explosion on his farm. On investigation the next morning he discovered that his reservoir, which were constructed of brick and cement were shattered and large concrete blocks were lying up to 20 meters away from the actual site. Another mysterious incident, never solved.

Link 2

2. Rosmead

At 8:15pm on 12 November four soldiers at the Rosmead military camp in the eastern Cape, observed a rotating set of red lights near their duty room, but these went out before they could investigate. School headmaster Harold Truter arrived some 10 minutes later at the Rosmead Junior school, and observed an unusual light hovering silently over a nearby ridge, which cast an oblique beam to the ground.[6]
Due to a 'flickering glow' hanging over the locked tennis court he decided to investigate. He found broken and molten tar and different sets of symmetrically placed imprints on the court. Fragments of tar were later found strewn at a distance of 183m on a nearby ridge, while some Eucalypt trees which grew nearby, were badly burnt and died soon after. The tennis court is considered to have been a possible landing site of a UFO, while other UFO sightings were claimed from the vicinity.[3][7][8]

Link 1

I find this snippet of information very interesting:

"Investigation of the tennis court indicated a symmetrical pattern of identical holes; some of the tar from the court had been strewn 183 meters (600 feet) away, on to a ridge nearby."

"Bluegum trees alongside the tennis court had been badly burnt and they died about two months later," in January 1973.

Link 2

Unfortunately the following link is to a site that is not in English, however, I have included it as there are photographs:
Photos

There is so little information about these sightings/encounters that they remain a tantalising and frustrating piece of our UFO history.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaalphanovember

The ufo was described as being a glossy black metallic colour and was shaped like a 44-gallon drum. It was three-legged and carried a vertical "aerial".
It also made a "whirring" sound.

I believe the government was experimenting with VTOL, single passenger vehicles back then... and possibly still, since I've heard more recent reports of "Flying Garbage Can" type sightings.

Examples Here

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by draknoir2

Fair enough, but remember this was South Africa in 1972. We bought most of our aircradt from France, Israel and Italy (Mirage, Impala, Puma, Alouette).

And I seriously doubt the Americans had one that was capable of trans-atlantic flight.
Unless, of course, they were testing it with the permission of the SA government. Very curious.

Not saying you are wrong, the SA government had a good few Black Projects ... some of which we still do not know to this day. I can't find much on the net.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
A 44 gallon glossy black drum with an antenna and three legs, making a whirring sound seems more of a description of late 60's - early 70's technology than anything more exotic. Might have been a South African experimental craft, or one of ours being tested in South Africa. Considering all the civil unrest in SA back then, such a surveillance craft might have proven invaluable for police and military.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by draknoir2

Totally agree ... it sounds like the product of a B-Grade horror.

But look at how the farmer described his first glimpse of it:

observed a puff of smoke in the sky which soon turned into a fireball.

As I mentioned - these two cases are firmly in the category of unexplained - which is what makes them so intriguing.

I was in the SA Defence Force - Anti-Aircraft (had no choice, I was conscripted) and the tech we had was a joke. I am more inclined to beleive it was a US Secret project undergoing field trials.

Must have been a shock to them when someone tried to shoot them down.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaalphanovember

I was in the SA Defence Force - Anti-Aircraft (had no choice, I was conscripted) and the tech we had was a joke. I am more inclined to beleive it was a US Secret project undergoing field trials.

Yeah, I agree. I did a quick search of SA defense contractors dating back to the 70's and found precious little.

The other case with the tennis court sounds a bit more bizarre.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by deltaalphanovember

great reports , thanks for sharing

i remember hearing about the Rosmead incident.

it's a intriguing case to say the least because there were multiple witnesses of a ufo and some bizzare trace evidence. i have noticed there are quite a few strange reports from Africa.

www.ufoevidence.org...

here is that article with the pics translated ....

The city police received that night, numerous calls from people who were overlooking the strange object. Some officers who passed through the region in order to take the calls, witnessed the appearance of the UFO.

Caso Rosmead

[edit on 7-5-2010 by easynow]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   

here is that article with the pics translated ....

The city police received that night, numerous calls from people who were overlooking the strange object. Some officers who passed through the region in order to take the calls, witnessed the appearance of the UFO.

Caso Rosmead

Thank you, appreciate the translation.

new topics

top topics

join