It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The human problem is that we cannot know who Jesus is

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
When Jesus was on earth, no-one knew He was the saviour.

Our problem now is in identifying Jesus.

A lot of people will say they are Jesus, but how do we know?

And...was there ever a Jesus?

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   
When Jesus returns all eyes shall see him,you will know its him from his words and actions(somebody of his character is going to stick out like a sore thumb).

REV 1:7 "Behold, He is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see Him, even those who pierced Him..."

MAT 24:44 says, "For this reason you be ready too; for the Son of Man is coming at an hour when you do not think He will."

be ready

regards to all

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by FeatheredSerpent

Yes,I would like to know Him.

But is it all lies?

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Find out for yourself. Apply John 14:21

21Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him."

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by FeatheredSerpent
When Jesus returns all eyes shall see him,you will know its him from his words and actions(somebody of his character is going to stick out like a sore thumb).

Yes, exactly, and he is also described as coming with power.

The gist of the what Jesus says about false claimants in Matthew ch24 is "if you have to go somewhere to see him, he's not the real thing.

So in practice, the OP's dilemma would not arise.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   

According to Rev. 1:7, he's coming down from the clouds as if he's an extraterrestrial being. You can call them angels all you want, they're aliens IMO.

Remember, language 2,000 years ago wasn't as it is now.

An angel to them is an alien to us IMO.

Peace

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknows

Though the synoptic gospels are colored by the intentions of the authors, they are fairly reliable sources to at least some of what the historical Jesus taught. See Jesus and the Eyewitnesses for excellent scholarship on the reliability of the synoptics as witnesses to the historical Jesus.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   

I have mixed feelings about who he was too.

But his teachings are beautiful, no matter what you think of him. Whether you believe him to be all man, divine, or a piece of fiction.

The sermon on the mount and the "Beatitudes" are wonderful things to incorporate into ones life.

For the time, I am just trying to follow those words (although failing as much as succeeding).
I also incorporate many other religions' teachings that hold some truth into my life.

[edit on 7/5/2010 by Chamberf=6]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Could he have been a deluded lunatic ('do you think that I cannot now pray to my Abba and 12 legions of angels would swoop down to destroy them?')

Or maybe just a false prophet / liar ? ('Behold, there are some STANDING HERE NOW who WILL NOT TASTE OF DEATH until THEY SEE the Bar Enasha ('son of man') riding on the Clouds of Heaven, sitting on the Right Hand of the Power of EL, with all of his Holy Ones with him !!).

Hint, no body saw anybody swooping down (*bar enasha' or no 'bar enasha') on the clouds of heaven back in the first century CE - i.e. before THOSE STANDING THERE IN FRONT OF HIM had NOT YET TASTED DEATH.

So...if he hasn't come back yet (while 'some' of his audience was still alive, as he claimed) then he must be....shock and awe !!!!!!....a FALSE PROPHET - which the Torah demands 'if a man speaks an oracle of YHWH and it come not to pass - that man is not from YHWH ....he is a false prophet...you SHALL NOT LISTEN TO HIM !!')

It kind of explains the heavilly Midrashic Transfiguration pericope expansions (based on the Aramaic Targum of proto Isaiah 4:6-7) with their emphasis on Tents/Tabernacles in the Synoptic gospels and the tell-tale Thunderclap which spoke (Heb. 'Qol' which also means 'Voice') screams from the Lightning: This is my SON....LISTEN TO HIM !!!

The Dead Sea Scrolls have a text called the BRONTOLOGION (lit. Thunder words') meaning 'HOW TO INTERPRET THE SOUND THUNDERCLAPS INTO WORDS' (see the 4th canonical Gospel 'accoding to John' whoever he was, chapter 12:28-29 ' and a peal of Thunder clapped saying, I have glofiied your name and will again: now some standing by said, Behold it thundered (only). But others said, An Angel hath spoken something to him...!)

So that even in the gospel traditions Thunders ('qolot') were thought to have meaning in words by those who were 'of the spirit' to understand them (cf: 'YHWH thunders from Zion, he utters his VOICE from Jerusalem', where in the OT, thunder and voice mean the same thing)

As if the Transfiguration stories (lightning / thunder - suggests the scene is a bad storm - notice the images of LIGHT and QOL) were a way of making the failed prophecy of 'the bar enasha riding on the clouds with his holy ones...' come true BEFORE THEY HAD TASTED DEATH - so that the 'Messiah-hero' of the gospels would NOT be seen as (as the vast majority of the Judaeans did in the 1st century, seeing him strung up naked on a cross) a FAILED MESSIAH - FALSE PROPHET (i.e. whom the benei Yisro'el were told 'NOT TO LISTEN' to).

Seems like there was a lot of backpeddling over this verse about the Son of Man riding on the clouds while some of his disciples were still alive.

But, alas, it never came to pass. And people to-day who still wait for such an event are just .....as deluded as he must have been to think he could overthrow the Roman Army in 36 CE during THE Insurrection (see the 2nd council approved Greek canonical Gospel 'according to Mark' whoever he was chapter 15:7) at the 100th anniversary of the Roman occupation of Judaea by Pompey (which began in 63 BCE).

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
What are you going to do when you find out ...that it is all not true ?

Jesus is not coming ...get used to this

So what does that mean ?

It means you are going to have take responsibility for yourself and pass this responsibility onto your family and friends
And be the change that you wish to see

Get out there and address the immediate need in your family and in your community ...

And also remember charity begins at home

"compassion is not complete if it does not include yourself"

Every one of us can make a difference....
focus on the need around you....... Now !

"God helps those who nurture and help themselves'

You can be that change>>>

be that..... love

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
If Jesus was another story of the many messiahs born from a virgin and dec. 25 and etc. That represented the sun....
What if the second coming is the solar flare???

www.examiner.com...

All communications destroyed. Computers (mark of the beast programs) will be all destroyed. Think about it...

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple
According to Rev. 1:7, he's coming down from the clouds as if he's an extraterrestrial being. You can call them angels all you want, they're aliens IMO.

Or in an airplane. The ordinary sky has clouds in it, you know.

I lot of people will quote passages from the Bible, as if that's some kind of reliable source. But the Bible really doesn't give you any clues as to exactly how to identify any pretenders from the real deal. At best, it says, "You'll know." Unfortunately, it also says, "Many will be fooled." Thanks for nothing, Bible.

I guess it all boils down to what you think you need to be "saved" from. Personally, I don't need saving. I accept this existence for what it is and do the best I can with it. I understand that any saving I get I'll pretty much do on my own. As a result, I feel like I live in a state of grace.

However, if you're the kind of individual who has low self-esteem and feels powerless, then you're going to be looking for outside help. Which makes you very vulnerable to believing in liars and fakes.

But remember: Jesus said, "When you strip without being ashamed, and you take your clothes and put them under your feet like little children and trample then, then you will see the son of the living one and you will not be afraid."

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
It would not be so hard to know
I do not think he would make it too hard, he will probably
have a sign over his head that says I am Jesus,
I am the Son of God, And I'm on Facebook

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
To answer OP, I would simply propose the following questions for consideration:

1) What would someone have to do to prove to you that they were Jesus?
2) Assuming you knew that a certain person was Jesus, what significance would you attribute to that revelation?

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple

Remember, language 2,000 years ago wasn't as it is now.

An angel to them is an alien to us IMO.

Peace

kind of like how the halo of the "angels" were just an awe inspiring aura around them that is visible. It reminds me of the anunnaki.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   

yeah, especially if he still hangs around thomas, his double...thomas' being his lookalike casts doubt on the resurrection, don't you think? among other things

www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

join