It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We are advancing at an alarming rate!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Humanity is advancing not decade by decade but year by year and even month from month!

It was only 30 years ago our computer systems looked like this:

30 Years later our computer are 100 times more powerfull and 5 times smaller in size, like this little beuty:

In less than 100 years we have come from this 1903 plane:

To this boeing 747:

We have gone from DSL internet to fibre optic, and wireless connections in 10 years.

From the year 1903 when the plane was first invented it took just over 60 years for us to land a man on the moon.

I ask you this, if we are advancing at this rate, what will the world look like in 50 years time? And even a 100 years time?

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Haydn_17

I ask you this, if we are advancing at this rate, what will the world look like in 50 years time? And even a 100 years time?

this
blogs.mirror.co.uk...
not trolling either

we continue to find more effecient ways of killing each other at an exponential rate.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Haydn_17
Humanity is advancing not decade by decade but year by year and even month from month!

It was only 30 years ago our computer systems looked like this:

30 Years later our computer are 100 times more powerfull and 5 times smaller in size, like this little beuty:

In less than 100 years we have come from this 1903 plane:

To this boeing 747:

We have gone from DSL internet to fibre optic, and wireless connections in 10 years.

From the year 1903 when the plane was first invented it took just over 60 years for us to land a man on the moon.

With all this said I think the irony is that human beings are moving backwards...

If advancing is taking backward steps then we are surely advancing at a rapid rate.

I seriously doubt we have 50 years left.

[edit on 7-5-2010 by XXXN3O]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   
That litterally made me LOL

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

When the first microprocessor was developed, a year later, the fastest microprocessor was already 10x faster. The IBM 360/50 (1965) could average about 150,000 operations per second. Presently, the world's fastest CPU clocked at 128 gigaflops, that's 128 billion computations per second. You work out the difference...

But hey, there's no such thing as an alarming rate IMO, we will get there sooner or later, and sooner is better IMO. I love the amazing technology science makes possible...mind blowing stuff...

[edit on 7/5/10 by CHA0S]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
I am quite a fan of technology and sometimes wish we were advancing faster. But I suppose that just because we have technology, it doesnt mean we are socially advanced enough to use it wisely. I do look forward to a day when we are advanced enough to be able to cure all disease and hunger. Yes, I know its a pipe dream but I like to think that one day it might happen.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   
i think its a mix of advancement and devancment

i especcialy noticed that when the recessions started that the rate of technology and discoverys slowed down.

i could see a sort of messed up future, mixed like today but just far more accelerated

poor criminal druged populations with disease
genetically divided humans, slaves vs superhumans
central a.i. database for a global dystopian grid
nano enforced military shields and armor for the military units and planes
nuclear warfare, nanotech based clean up systems
or even nanotech brain chips,

thats just small run down..

its a horror story

[edit on 7-5-2010 by togetherwestand]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by togetherwestand

or even nanotech brain chips
GIMME GIMME GIMME!!!

Dude...I so can't wait for nano quantum computers which integrate with my brain...can you imagine it...wherever you go, you'd have access to a computer and the internet, because you have an operating system installed in your head, and the display would appear to float in front of you, but no one else could see or hear what you were seeing and hearing (unless, of course, you get hacked into, that reminds me, watch the Ghost in a Shell anime, brilliant stuff)...

Oooo...and I can't wait for virtual reality...MMORPG's in life-like virtual reality...can you fathom such a thing?

its a horror story
More like Heaven...

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Probably people will think "here we go again" but does anyone realize this extreme acceleration of our advancement was foretold almost 2000 years ago? isn't that kinda freaky? I am convinced this world doesn't have more than 50 years left because of our extreme advancements in mass-destruction and our misuse of earths resources. the tipping point is very close if we havent already passed that yet. without some intervention I dont see my children enjoying grandkids on this world.

[edit on 7-5-2010 by faceoff85]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
To be honest, yes we are really getting more and more advanced and the rate is accelerating since everything helps eachother. Tho IMO we are still either going back or staying on our sociological level. We still kill eachother for land when we have enough room for everyone, oil that we don't really need, we let people starve to death, why? Because we want to get as much profit as possible, chinese kid get a few cents for these shoes that he makes, they sell them for around 100$, see the profit?
Technologically speaking we are advancing fast, as a people we have to many idiots holding us back at neanderthal level that it's heartbreaking. To be such an advanced race we sure do many stupied things, we never seem to get to any higher level with all our new technology. I don't think we would have any problems going over to reusable energy such as sun, wind, tid/waves etc instead of oil, coal, gas. Plus, Nicola tesla had the idea of free electricity to the whole world and since we now have the technology, why don't we use it and let everyone live in a better world? Free electricity could help with so much in every country, help make everyone get a good standard in their lives, but that wouldn't be profitable, would it?

[edit on 7-5-2010 by svante]

[edit on 7-5-2010 by svante]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   
The rate of advancement normally coincides with necessity and funding...

During the two world wars scientist were given freedoms and funding they had never seen before... most of the major advancement in aircraft development, combustion engines, jet engines, computers, rocket technology etc... Happened during the wars!!

The next peak of advancement rate is during times of prosperity... However, with computer technology Moore’s law has been proven a pretty accurate and stable prediction of the rate of advancement... simply because as computers get more advanced it enables you to design even better ones... kind of self-fulfilling evolution i guess.

Sometimes though i do think our knowledge is way too far out of sync with our wisdom...

Always ask “can we?”
Never ask “should we?”!

peace!

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by CHA0S
reply to post by Haydn_17

When the first microprocessor was developed, a year later, the fastest microprocessor was already 10x faster. The IBM 360/50 (1965) could average about 150,000 operations per second. Presently, the world's fastest CPU clocked at 128 gigaflops, that's 128 billion computations per second. You work out the difference...

But hey, there's no such thing as an alarming rate IMO, we will get there sooner or later, and sooner is better IMO. I love the amazing technology science makes possible...mind blowing stuff...

I think ATS is on an uptick with posts like this.

Yes it is true we need to stop patting ourselves on the back and reconsider what advancement means.

Now for a quote "There's a misconception that a movement in any direction is progression" -Canibus

This applies to most of what we call technology today. Not only are we exadurating the percieved progression and potiential of scientific technology, we are ignoring working with nature instead of against it.

Every time you see an event like the oil spill in the gulf or katya erupting it reminds you how little control we really have over our environment.

When is the last time we have produced a really novel or new technology?

1950's...

The computer is nothing but a duality machine using a bunch of yes and Nos or 0 and 1's to answer fundamentally complex questions. Looking at it from that perspective can its calculations even be trusted.

Is nature that simple?

No, and even with more complex mathematics the underlying infinity can never be quite harnessed and expressed. Only the Creator has done that.

Everything from the slightest cell to a human cannot be recreated with such perfect imperfection.

The bueaty and intricacies the Creator endowed can neither be replicated or adequately explained by our simplistic science and technology. Sure we can map a DNA strand and barbarically chop and splice genes the same as building a house but we did not invent the tools. Our abilities are constrained in science by observation and influenced by it as well. The framework of intelligent design is inherent.

For all the illusions we have created what have we really understood?

[edit on 7-5-2010 by ISHAMAGI]

top topics

join