It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EVP's - What Are They Really?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

Hmmm... interesting. I wonder if these recordings are easily accessible? I might have to go on an internet search me thinks.

IRM

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

I've heard stories of people attracting ghosts, sometimes following them.

So you may be one of those people?

Maybe it's time to fire up a recorder!

Do you attract Americans a lot too, there could be a connection.

[edit on 7/5/10 by Chadwickus]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
And here are a few snippits about the Vatican's involvement

The Catholic church has even actively encouraged research directed towards Electronic Voice Phenomena. Two of the earliest religious investigators were Father Ernetti and Father Gemelli who stumbled upon the Electronic Voice Phenomena while recording Gregorian chants in 1952.

Father Gemelli apparently heard the voice of his own deceased father on the tape saying, “Zucchini, it is clear, don’t you know it is I”. “Zucchini” was the childhood name of Father Gemelli.

Pope Pius, the cousin of the Rev. Professor Dr Gebhard Frei was co-founder of the Jung Institute and was an internationally recognised and respected parapsychologist who worked very closely with Dr Konstantin Raudive, a pioneer of EVP working in Germany. Rev Frei stated: “all that I have read and heard forces me to believe that the voices come from transcendental, individual entities. Whether it suits me or not, I have no right to doubt the reality of the voices”-- Rev. Professor Dr Gebhard Frei.

The Catholic religion became increasingly supportive of EVP research with several Vatican approved researchers producing compelling evidence for EVP. Father Leo Schmid, a Swiss theologist, collected more than ten thousand recorded voices in his book “When the Dead Speak” in 1976, published shortly after his death.

In England, in 1972, four senior members of the Catholic church became involved in the famous Pye Recording Studio tests conducted by Peter Bander. Father Pistone, Superior of the Society of St. Paul in England, said after the tests:

“I do not see anything against the teaching of the Catholic church in the voices, they are something extra-ordinary, but there is no reason to fear them, nor can I see any danger”. --Father Pistone.

A series of high and respected officials of the Catholic church subsequently lent support to EVP in what has now become a firm Vatican position of acceptance for these “voices from beyond”. The following definitive statement was issued by Father Gino Concetti at the Vatican:

“According to the modern catechism, God allows our dear departed persons who live in an ultra-terrestrial dimension, to send messages to guide us in certain difficult moments of our lives. The Church has decided not to forbid any more the dialogue with the deceased with the condition that these contacts are carried out with a serious religious and scientific purpose”

www.ourultimatereality.com...

Roman Catholics were given the Church's blessing yesterday to "contact" loved ones beyond the grave. Leading Vatican theologian Father Gino Concetti said it is no longer a sin, as long as mediums, fortune teller and palmists are not involved.

The pronouncement came after Italian magazine claims that contact with the spiritual world had produced miracles. Father Concetti dismissed that, but added: 'We can pray for our loved ones. They will respond in dreams and inspiration. In one example, a grandmother advised a girl about her marriage choice in a dream. The girl did not heed counsel and a grave problem developed. If we pray seriously in a quiet place, with our hearts and our voices, the departed will express themselves and advise us.'

(Printed in the London Daily Mail, 29-Nov-96)

Recently Father Concetti, one of the most competent theologians in the Vatican, said in an interview:

'According to the modern catechism, God allows our dear departed persons who live in an ultra - terrestrial dimension, to send messages to guide us in certain difficult moments of our lives. The Church has decided not to forbid anymore the dialogue with the deceased with the condition that these contacts are carried out with a serious religious and scientific purpose.'

(Printed in the Vatican newspaper Osservatore Romano, date unspecified)

www.evp-itc-australia.org...

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
reply to post by Chadwickus

I was slapped in the face from the side of the bed while I was sleeping. It woke me up and I started to lash out with my fists as I thought I was victim to a home invasion.

I had a similar experience (sort of) when I was about 16 living in my parents house. I was sleeping, and it was around 2:00am, and someone/something threw my shoe at me...no really!
It woke me up from a dead sleep, and it hit me hard right in the back of the leg. I remember reaching behind me half asleep and picking up my shoe... the other one was sitting where I left it a few feet away. Meanwhile I was completely covered in blankets, no way I did it myself...

I still to this day have no explanation. My parents & brother were sound asleep across the other side of the house and every light was off in the house. I even woke my brother up blaming him, but it was quickly obvious he had no idea what I was yelling at him about.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
There have been several groups dedicated to Electronic Voice Phenomena. They have issued warnings or advice at various times. One group claims it was warned by discarnate spirits to exercise discretion, saying that like attracts like and as few humans have yet mastered the emotions of envy, jealousy, greed, etc., they may attract like-minded lower spirits

Don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but feel it my duty to post the following:

EVP or Electronic Voice Phenomena to the believer are the voices of the unknown caught on a recording device. To the non-believer they are just random noises, radio transmissions or from other reached for explainable causes. Whether you believe or
not, what you are not told is that there are potential dangers involved when one listens to such recordings.

Before you anxiously hit the play button and listen to any EVP on this website or from any other source, including other forms of audio or video of the unknown, MPR would like to take this time and let you know about the potential risks associated to playing such in
your home, work, and etc. Just like using an Ouija Board, Crystal Ball, Scrying Mirror or any other device in hopes of making contact with the other side or the unknown there is the same potential risks when listening or viewing such messages live or when played
back on various devices. Remember, we are dealing with the "unknown" and as such it possesses potential "unknown dangers"

There have been reports that certain EVP's, including other audio or video of the unknown, when played at a location can induce paranormal activity and/or possibly cause the manifestation of an entity or activity which you may not desire. There is no 100%
proof of this out there, but we have received reports by various individuals which support such speculation and theory.

With such potential, you need to understand the possible recourse of playing any EVP's or any other captured audio and video of the unknown. If you already have a home or are at a location which already has paranormal activity then playing certain audio or
video of the unknown may greatly increase the activity you have been experiencing and if the audio or video of the unknown came from a negative source then you could possibly allow such into your home and life by listening or viewing it.

As with anything paranormal we highly suggest that you take proper precautions before listening or viewing such material. This would include psychological and/or faith preparation with a prayer or similar ritual which your faith supports for the safety of yourself and all in your home and then conduct the same or similar prayer or ritual after
listening.

Also, do not hesitate in using any protective icons which represent your faith or what you have a strong belief in. This can be a piece of jewelry, gem stone, crystal, bag of dirt, medallion, or even a tomato from your garden if you truly believe that it can protect you
from what you perceive as evil or negative. Never forget, the unknown does not have to resort to physical attacks and it can get inside your mind and mentally or psychologically en stow harm as well.

I would also suggest NOT to let children listen to or view such material and to use headphones when possible to possibly minimize or prevent any potential adverse effects.

If after listening to or viewing any audio or video of the unknown you or others with you start to feel ill or experience adverse activity then please seek help from a faith practitioner or experienced paranormal consultant.

Dangerous elements do exist within the paranormal realms which you may be involved with. You or someone you know can become a victim to what you just have a curiosity
with.

If you have experienced such in the past or currently due to listening to or viewing any audio or video of the unknown then please let us know.

In closing, you assume all responsibility for listening to such audio or viewing such video or photographs on this website or other external sources linked to from this site.

Greg Myers, President
Paranormal Task Force

www.paranormaltaskforce.com...

Not saying I agree or disagree with the above, in part or in full. Just putting it up for balance

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

Do you attract Americans a lot too, there could be a connection.

Do Canadians count?

IRM

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Just remembered to Star & Flag

Good thread topic, IRM

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

Interesting and quite contrary points of view that you have highlighted in both of your posts Dock9. On one hand, you have the Vatican urging people to investigate EVP further and on the other there are those that claim it may be dangerous.

Does this mean, we don't really know the truth behind EVP and tend to project our own beliefs upon the phenomena?

IRM

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dock9

Just remembered to Star & Flag

Good thread topic, IRM

Cheers man! You just broke the threads flag cherry!

IRM

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Hello IRM,

I too share your enthusiasm on the subject. If I recall I think you even contributed to the thread I made regarding EVPs produced through the “Frank’s Ghost Box” device,
I Discernibly Hear Dead People!! **Recordings Added, Pg. 2** as well as a few other posters in this thread. Figured I’d add my personal observations via my thread regarding the EVP phenomena. Great Thread!! I am always fascinated by this.

To comment on the American voices. In my recordings, I heard quite a few different accents but can’t recall ever hearing any different languages. Although I don’t speak any other languages other than English, so they may have very well been present and I just overlooked them. I haven’t listened to these recordings in some time, I may just have to go back and review them again soon.

*S&F

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Afraid I don't have the answers, IRM

It was in the early 80s when I first heard of EVP. Like many, I was filled with wonder and enthusiasm. Because we're trusting, credulous creatures, aren't we

At the time, we were living in a very normal looking house which was far from normal. It was a paranormal zoo, basically. During our time there, we experienced at least half the paranormal catalogue, all spontaneously

But, curious about these EVPs I'd just read about, I set out my old cassette machine, loaded with fresh tape, and left it running a few times at night after we'd all gone to bed. At other times, I did the same when we left the house for a few hours

Thing was, I was never brave enough to listen to the recordings on any occasion. Don't know why. Just had a sense of caution or foreboding. And although I had only read that one book at the time ... and hadn't heard about any 'warnings' ... it occurred to me that by leaving the cassette-recorder playing and saying aloud, ' If anyone wishes to leave a message, please do so', I was obviously inviting 'things' into our home. I was deliberately inviting and attracting them. And I realised this might not be the smartest thing to do, because I couldn't see them, didn't know who/what they were, and had no idea how to get rid of them if they decided to hang around

So, instinct told me to curb my curiosity

Some years later, a friend came to stay and I mentioned EVPs to her and asked if she'd like to 'have a try' at recording them. Like me, she'd experienced paranormal phenomena all her life and (unlike me) she had deliberately engaged in spirit-contact when younger (which had some dramatic and unpleasant conclusions, if she's to be believed). So I thought she'd be keen to experiment with EVPs.

But no. She hadn't heard of EVPs before and although interested (as most of us are) she sort of paled at the thought of actually hearing them. She backed off, said 'no'. I was disappointed but also relieved

The literature makes it sound very straightforward (EVPs) and there are probably tens of thousands who've spent dozens of hours listening to EVPs and who are convinced they are genuinely the spirits of the dead with many of them believed to be relatives, friends, etc.

Each person has to decide for him/her self. If an EVP claimed to be someone you had known well, and if they provided information only you and that spirit had ever known, then I guess it would be pretty persuasive.

There's a lot out there in books and online. You could visit several sites, read the books and get a feel for it. Some of the online sites are obviously hokum, imo ... they let you download voices claiming to be those of famous people from history. Guess it's like anything else in the paranormal realm --- some diamonds in there amongst all the horse-droppings

An ATS poster recorded some EVPs only a couple of weeks ago. It was an interesting thread. Can't remember the thread-title, but it contained the word 'perceive', I think. Not the current one by Tormentations, by the way. Maybe if you run a search, you might find it. It's not a very old thread. The poster had constructed a radio and microphone, etc. and posted photos. Intelligent sort of guy, sounded very genuine and if you U2U'd him, he'd send you the recordings he made. Posters in the thread were quite impressed, judging by their posts. But the OP of that thread eventually decided he was a bit spooked by what he heard and he was afraid it might attract 'things' to his home, so he decided to have a break from it. So that's a real-life ATS-er who quite recently conducted experimentation with EVP's. Maybe someone will drop into this thread and provide you the actual thread-title. Probably have more of a ring of truth than anonymous claims online or from a book

[edit on 7-5-2010 by Dock9]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

You must have been giving off vibes Dock

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

LOL. YOU are the OP I've just been telling Infraredman about !

Glad you dropped in. Now he'll be able to access your thread and read it firsthand

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
If anyone is interested. These two people appear regularly on C2C. Art Bell always does the shows with The Ghost Investigators. Here's their website where they share all of their EVP's for free.

The Ghost Investigators

Great EVP's Here!

IRM

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Hi Uberl33t. Thanks for being a part of the thread. I remember your thread about Franks Box. I must apologize that I'm a bit skeptical of it. I do find the standard EVP to be more compelling... but you're more than welcome to post any of your Franks Box audio here.

I'm more than willing to have another look at it! Perhaps you can persuade me?

IRM

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Duly noted
..I'm currently not at home, so I will oblige you and the rest in this thread later this evening. I have been contimplating recording some more sessions recently. I have yet to do so only because the time to do so has not been so forthcoming. From the get go I second guessed the claims that doing this could envoke evil upon myself.

It was the other people in close proximity to me (kids & such) that my reluctance stemmed from. I feel confident I am strong minded enough to thwart any possession but I can't, with 100% assurity control the family's vulnerability to such an occurrence. Not to mention it freaked my girlfriend out

BBL

[edit on 5/7/2010 by UberL33t]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Great! I look forward to checking it out!

I agree that it may not be the best idea to expose your partner and little ones to anything untoward. Even doing these things in other places (away from home) may still facilitate some kind of spiritual attachment that may follow you home.

This is of course, given spirits exist or are what we think they are.

I'm a bit like Dock9. I could probably set the recorder but I would be too anxious to listen back to it. I think I would be fearful of what I may find. I'm not rattled or shaken easily but there's something about EVP that sends the chills through me. Oh did I mention spiders. I semi phobic about them buggers too.

IRM

[edit on 7/5/10 by InfaRedMan]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   

You're not alone, in your concerns about something 'following you home', all jokes aside

There's an indescribably situation going on in West Oz, according to a guy named Paul and Stanley (he's posted online and You Tube under both names). He's copped a lot of flak because of his deep-Strine accent, which has convinced a lot from the UK and US that he's simple minded. He's not. He's just simple ... as in straightforward and endearingly childlike, imo

Anyway, Paul/Stanley, who lives in a perfectly normal flat in Perth, has filmed dozens of hours of 'things' (they resemble fast-moving orbs) which buzz around him day and night. According to him (and some of the YouTube vids seem to bear this out) they are intelligent life forms of some description. He was on his own with it for months, even years, until he put it online, asking for help

A conservative sort of paranormal group finally learned about him and initially took him under their wing, giving online exposure to his situation and opening it all up for discussion

For a while, there were people from all over Australia saying that if they could, they go over to WA to sort it out. But then they got cold feet, it seems, after one of their more senior paranormal investigators said sorry .. she wouldn't be going after all ... because she was afraid the 'things' would latch onto her and 'follow her home'

In the end, I don't think anyone actually went to Paul's place, so he resorted to putting his videos online, seeking help in identifying the 'things'. Oh, and before that, someone in the group froze and enlarged, etc. one of the 'things' and it's definitely weird --- looks a lot like the 'human faced fish' that were online last year

I'll put up the links. You might like to take a look when you have five minutes ....

Very strange world we're in. Poor Paul/Stanley has convinced himself that his 'things' must be aliens -- nice ones

Try to watch the earlier videos. He's more into trying to find out what they are, in those, rather than trying to please the crowd

phantomsandmonsters.wetpaint.com...

www.youtube.com.../u/72/3s8rPbHu2wY

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

Cheers Dock9. Interesting.. but I do exercise a bit of caution with orbs given there are many acceptable, prosaic explanations for them such as dust particles, gnats and the like...

However, I would be interested in seeing some photos to see if they are distinguishable from regular prosaic orbs.

Has he documented any other accompanying phenomena that may reinforce his claims?

IRM

PS: Oh BTW... Paul/Stanley isn't a KISS fan by any chance is he?

[edit on 7/5/10 by InfaRedMan]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

It's interesting that one of the posters on that site made the suggestion (more or less) that his orb activity may be akin to poltergeist activity in that it's Paul's emotional state that is responsible for the 'manifestations'. Usually this kind of thing is relatable to pubescent girls in emotional/hormonal turmoil.

IRM

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join