It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burqa ban is 'un-Australian' say Muslims

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Myrddin Wyllt

Obviously they are teaching their adherents and their children to be very screwed up.

That is shocking.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by fatdad
i bet if you tryed to walk about in a ski mask all day shopping etc. you would be arrested ... so whats the difference to wearing a burka?.. freedom to wear what you want or just two fingers up to the government and everybody else who have to live by basic security laws.. if they dont like it they can always go live in a muslim country...

Its their religious dress, you cannot compare it to a ski mask! We live in a so called multi cultural society! Where anyone can practice their religion, live free supposedly, and do what you like as long as it is not illegal!! We dont live in an oppressed country, although these days it feels like its going in that direction... Let them wear what they want, its not a fashion statement, its no fad, but it is a part of these peoples religion.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   
It is un-Australian. This intolerance is disgusting. But now that they're suggesting it here too it's obviously another global agenda.

Whats the problem? Can't see their faces to get biometrics? Every Muslim female that is banned from their freedom of expression and belief needs to put down their burka and pick up a Guy Fawkes mask.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
Dont Wear them here if you want to do that then go back to your own homeland.

Its Either show your face or back.

Thats how i see it sorry this doesn't scream rights.

I don't Want Islam showing me how they treat women like dirt
Covering up there faces for what?

Its not the Dark ages or the middle ages people.

[edit on 7-5-2010 by Agent_USA_Supporter]

[edit on 7-5-2010 by Agent_USA_Supporter]

That is their culture! their religion. It is not up to you to dictate what they wear, as part of their religion.

Your statement and thought are from the dark ages, who are you to put restraints on another person?

Your mentality and your lack of cultural understanding is why the people in the west are going backwards.

Just because you dont understand it, does not make it wrong!!

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pryde87
reply to post by Milleresque

If I cant walk down the street in Saudi Arabia wearing nothing but my black lace man thong, then the burqa has no place in Australia.

No seriously, if you come to australia leave your burqa at the gate.
Adapt to Aussie culture or get out. Simple.

Yeah and you cant walk down the street in Aus with a man thong either!! U have no point!! Go back to slapping your wife and drinking beer in Mt druitt, and working in your factory job.

[edit on 7-5-2010 by Pryde87]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by blah2200

Just gotta say, if they want to live in Oz, they should behave like Oz.

To all Muslims living in Oz - please do not wear your covering.

If you want to wear your covering, go home.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   

So it is their culture, their religion.. Then they should go where its practice is acceptable. Want to wear a burqua?, want to marry a 9 year old?, want to beat your wife? Go live where you can do that and quit trying to change the places where you are a guest.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Myrddin Wyllt

Originally posted by Milleresque
Again, are implying that those who elect to wear burkas and boarding planes are intent on terrorism?

Your point has equally less "validity".

I could board a plane wearing levis and nikes, slip a ski mask over my head and do what I will. Period. #, why use the mask? I could do it in plain clothes...and be less conspicuous for it. I could hijack a bus in stubbies and thongs and carry out mass murder. I could...

god, maybe we ought to ban any dress/clothing whatsoever...sure would remove the need for x-ray devices in our airports.

You're really getting the horse before the cart on this issue. Do you watch "today tonight" by any chance? Or "A Current Affair"?

You are missing the point completely.... would you be allowed through customs and board a plane if you were wearing a ski mask, the simple answer is no, yet anyone can wear a burka and board a plane without having to show their face, as is proven by the first article. If they had checked they would have seen that the person in the burka was 6ft plus MAN and he would not have got away! There's my VALIDITY!

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, bad sarcasm is just ignorance!

Your point is lost, and way out of whack!!! They do not go through customs without being checked!!! They have women who are customs officers, who check these identity issues.. your argument is invalid. Nobody goes through customs, or any check point without having their face checked and confirmed. Women officers can check these burqa wearers' faces! Try again your argument just passed the mega fail test!!!!

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by expat2368

So it is their culture, their religion.. Then they should go where its practice is acceptable. Want to wear a burqua?, want to marry a 9 year old?, want to beat your wife? Go live where you can do that and quit trying to change the places where you are a guest.

It is practiced here in Australia, and has been for years. What you speak of is not a law, just some old whack job trying to make it a law!!

Are u in Australia? Are you Aboriginal? If not, then you are a guest also!!

Do you work in Australia? I dare you to speak up at your work like this.. You will be fired in an instant. But as you are behind a computer screen I guess your ego is inflated..

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknows
Just gotta say, if they want to live in Oz, they should behave like Oz.

And how does Oz behave again? Like a bunch of intolerant ignorant bogans?

Lapdogs to every global agenda that comes along because we're too stupid and ineffective to stand up for ourselves or have any real identity of our own? Yeah that's what I thought.

I'm sick of these terror laws and the racial profiling of Muslims. It's all a sham anyway and we've never been attacked so what's the point?

Has everyone suddenly forgotten that one of our closest neighbours is the most populous Muslim nation on Earth?

We play cricket with these blokes, and they play cricket with us. And you can't get any more Australian than that.

As an Aboriginal, I welcome all Muslims to this country if they are skilled, can speak English and aren't going to bring violence here.

Then they should go where its practice is acceptable. Want to wear a burqua?, want to marry a 9 year old?, want to beat your wife? Go live where you can do that and quit trying to change the places where you are a guest.

Pretty sure most of them already do live in Victoria mate. Who are trying to kid?

[edit on 7-5-2010 by belial259]

[edit on 7-5-2010 by belial259]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by blah2200

Again, are implying that those who elect to wear burkas and boarding planes are intent on terrorism?

I could board a plane wearing levis and nikes, slip a ski mask over my head and do what I will. Period. #, why use the mask? I could do it in plain clothes...and be less conspicuous for it. I could hijack a bus in stubbies and thongs and carry out mass murder. I could...

god, maybe we ought to ban any dress/clothing whatsoever...sure would remove the need for x-ray devices in our airports.

You're really getting the horse before the cart on this issue. Do you watch "today tonight" by any chance? Or "A Current Affair"?

You are missing the point completely.... would you be allowed through customs and board a plane if you were wearing a ski mask, the simple answer is no, yet anyone can wear a burka and board a plane without having to show their face, as is proven by the first article. If they had checked they would have seen that the person in the burka was 6ft plus MAN and he would not have got away! There's my VALIDITY!

Your point is lost, and way out of whack!!! They do not go through customs without being checked!!! They have women who are customs officers, who check these identity issues.. your argument is invalid. Nobody goes through customs, or any check point without having their face checked and confirmed. Women officers can check these burqa wearers' faces! Try again your argument just passed the mega fail test!!!!

How did this guy and others escape the country then.... it is you who have no proof, mine is the fact they escaped, unchecked because they wore a burka and were thought to be women! Prove me wrong..... you can't,

btw
we only know about the ones we've caught, how many have escaped the UK for whatever reason that we don't know about, also dressed in Burka's, we just don't know.....that's what's scary!

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   
I have muslim friends but they only cover their hair so there's no problems communicating.. they are aussie muslims. I do not like the full face veil as it's impossible for me to communicate with someone if I can't make eye contact. The "aussie" custom is to look someone in the eye when you are talking to them.. it is rude not so of course this will isolate some muslim women from the larger community. I do not think people are being racist when they avoid them.. they just have no idea how to approach them. The full face veil is not really compatable with our social customs. It also covers the arms so hides alot of body language which makes it more awkward.

I do not think it should be banned but I think people need to be more understanding as to why it makes people uncomfortable. Some people just have no idea how to interact with someone who is basically invisable to them.

Yes muslim culture should be respected.. but so should australian culture. You cannot expect one to step aside for the other and then claim thats fair.

[edit on 7-5-2010 by riley]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
It's long been my understanding that Muslim contact with Australia (via Indonesia) significantly predates European settlement.

Here's a history of Islam in Australia for the "don't like it, go back where you came from" crowd.

A little light reading while you're waiting for the draft of the White Australia Policy (take two).

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   

How did this guy and others escape the country then.... it is you who have no proof, mine is the fact they escaped, unchecked because they wore a burka and were thought to be women! Prove me wrong..... you can't,

btw
we only know about the ones we've caught, how many have escaped the UK for whatever reason that we don't know about, also dressed in Burka's, we just don't know.....that's what's scary!

Well then!! I dont blame burqas, I blame our security at airports!! U dont have to be a Muslim male to wear a burqa in a suspicious manor.

Like I said there is no issue in these burqa wearers shoowing their faces, as long as they show it to a woman. And the last I checked there are plenty of women manning our airports.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by riley
I have muslim friends but they only cover their hair so there's no problems communicating.. they are aussie muslims. I do not like the full face veil as it's impossible for me to communicate with someone if I can't make eye contact.

Well it's not just Muslims that are going to be hit by this is it? What about Exclusive Brethrens?

Quite frankly given the weather and high UV here I can't see a problem with women covering up their faces. It probably gives them less wrinkles and reduces the risk of skin cancer.

The only concern I really have is if they get too hot wearing those things.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by belial259

How Oz behaves is free - freedom from religious nutters.

You should be grateful you are Australian.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   
thay should be banned if it hides your face its a disguise simple as that same for hoodies thay can be adopted by criminals do you see people out and about in a crash helmet with no bike or a guy shopping in a mask? whats the point in CCTV if any one can get round it. if not banned thay should be stoped by the police just like i would in a helmet or mask

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   

btw

Well then!! I dont blame burqas, I blame our security at airports!! U dont have to be a Muslim male to wear a burqa in a suspicious manor.

lol........that's the lamest excuse I have ever heard, thanks, really made me laugh, how do you wear a Burka in a suspicious manner?.... please tell ....ha ha ha

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Couldnt have said it better myself!!

Just read your statement and know it is true. For we are free, and we can do what we like, as long as it is legal!

They are not nutters if they want to wear a piece of material, over their face.

They are nutters if they preach hatred against our freedoms, which is what this polly is doing!

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   

You sound way more nutter than religious nutters because you support the baning of cultural clothing..

I guess next you will support the banning of Hitler style mustache lol..

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, the opposite of religious nutters..

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join