It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Female posters incapable of original thought?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
This thread is not going to go in a good debate as it will just bring in trolls.

Shame as probably some may have some good points on this topic.

Enough said.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

how's discussing feminism original anyways? i think all the women on this thread just answered op's question.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by whitewave
reply to post by King Loki

I'm not so sure that the ATTITUDE the OP questions is not a precursor of the ACTIONS one sees in places like Iran and Africa. Such hatred and disrespect for one's fellow man (and women) leads to bombing and starving them.

As my signature suggests, when one sees oppression (anywhere) it is everyone's job to interfere.

Just imagine substituting the word "female" for the word "black" in your post. It would go something like this:

"No wonder you blacks aren't taken seriously, all you ever do is whine about the way you're treated. If you have time to complain then you have time to bring in another bag of cotton. Nature designed you to serve white people so you need to recognize your place and quit making our point for us."

Sounds offensive, doesn't it? Another member on this board pointed out once before that women want respect even more than equality. Don't we all? Is it respectful to insinuate that half the population is mentally inferior to the other half? Is it even remotely accurate?

Your not going to get respect with ridiculous thread like this, quite the opposite ... and you clearly missed my point ... here ill spell it out for you

THERE ARE (you get that ... ok) BIGGER PROBLEMS IN THE WORLD THEN THIS CRAP

how many guy verse guy disrespects are on this forum .... just about every post and every thread right ... where is the guy thread saying OMG i got disrespected QQ QQ QQ QQ .... thats right there are none .... pint and case

stupid thread

[edit on 7-5-2010 by King Loki]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

Hey Jenna.

I don't think it is neccesarily a "deep" question.

(1) Cultural/How you were raised.
(2) Exposure to actual women.

Deficits in either of those areas will leave people vulnerable to resorting to stereotypical and dated views.

I have three older sisters and two daughters and one lovely wife...so fortunately I consider myself to have a reasonable understanding of women...as much as any man can...they still boggle my mind on a regular basis, but I would never discount thier ability to contribute to any debate based on gender alone.

In fact it has been argued from a genetic/evolutionary perpspective that women were the keepers of general wisdom.

Men hunted...focused on a prey..tasked on a singular target.

Women gathered, while keeping alert for threats to the children...assesing the changing seasons, what fruits and nuts are available and where they would grow. A constant wide-angle awareness of thier envirornment....potential threats and available food.

A case could be made that women evolved with cognitive abilities designed to asses big picture situations and make observations that the "hunter/predator" task focused male would not neccessarily observe.

Call it women's intuition...whatever.

Women often see things differently than men and that's a good thing.

Different, but equal. IMO

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
feminists make me laugh.

Grow a pair!

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   

i created one just for guys

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Interesting thread.

Originally posted by Jenna

Literature, mythology, and folklore from virtually every part of the globe contains tales of women who were fierce in battle, leaders of armies, revered leaders of their people, heroines, goddesses of war, etc. Women were not always seen as weak, helpless, and incapable of intelligent thought. This seems to be a relatively new development in the history of mankind. One that I find irritating in general, but significantly more so on a website such as this where we all come to discuss and learn.

I haven't personally seen women being accused of not being capable of original thought, more so that a woman's view on matters are disregarded, even if the point that woman brings up is valid and very well construed. I studied a little bit on feminism and going back to the Ancient Greeks, women were seen as "irrational beings", who were dominated by their "feelings". Men were seen as logical and rational, whilst women were seen as illogical and emotional. So basically, the belief was that a woman's judgement was clouded by her emotion.
Also in regards to women being associated with Gods of War, and being revered leaders, it's been said for man years that in a war, a woman is more dangerous than a man because of her raw emotion, whether this merits any fact I don't know.
Another interesting thing to point out of coarse, is this label of being an "emotional", "irrational" being was not just exclusive to women, it is often given to a minority, or a group of people believed to be lesser than the majority; be it the African slaves, Irish, and other such minorities going through struggles. So this label is merely a tool to assert dominance on the minority.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by King Loki
Maybe the reason men do this is because of posts like the OP's crying and whining about stupid crap ... there are alot bigger problems in the world then a man making a joke and telling you to make a sammich or get him a beer. Take the joke and get on with your life and stop bringing it up ... your clearly are doing this for attention ... and you wonder why we make fun ... because the OP is a bull# post/thread that doesn't mean jack crap to anyone and your really just having a whinge

Didn't actually read the entire OP or thread did you? Or did you skip the parts where I pointed out there's a difference between a joke and someone being serious?

YOU are the reason this is happening because of stupid posts/threads like this crap ... this is the stupidest attention grabbing qq thread i have ever witnessed ... id rather read a hoax post then this utter drivel ...

So me asking a question is the reason why some male posters believe female posters aren't as intelligent?

your ignorance alone thinking that this is an actual issue at all is completely ridiculous ... i cant even express with words how stupid this thread is.

your OP only makes you look worse ... this post/thread is not an original thought ... this is you whining to get attention ... way to own yourself in you own post ... i mean the stupidity of the OP ... my god

Need I go on .... get a life ... grow up and maybe people wont make fun of you. If this is what your bringing to the table i fully support anyone shooting down your posts in other threads because if they are anything like this one ... you deserve it tbh.

Yes, I'm totally ignorant for recognizing a problem and asking people why they think the problem exists, asking a question is whining, and I'm sitting here crying my poor little broken heart out over it. Just a silly woman right? I'll get back to cleaning now.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ponyboyats

how's discussing feminism original anyways? i think all the women on this thread just answered op's question.

hahaha thats exactly right ... as i said previously she owned herself with her own thread then expects us to respect her for a completely ridiculous and contradictural thread.

wow just wow

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by maybereal11
Call it women's intuition...whatever.

My experience in life has proved female intuition is useless.

You cannot prove me wrong on this as my life has proven this myth to be untrue.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   

are you serious? THIS is the kinda stuff we get on FRONT PAGE? This belongs on BTS! this is ridiculous, we got real issues to discuss and we're discussing female feelings? im sorry i been on ats for years(lurker) and never have i seen any posts that offend women. can we get some sources at least? we're just discussing opinions here. how is this on the front page of ATS? it should be in the back alleys of BTS! this is ridiculous.

Yes I am serious, actually. Have you an opinion on the questions I posed in the OP?

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

i liked how you skipped around the part where i asked u to ask the people with real problems in the world what sympathy you should get ... try it ... that will give you your answer to whether this is a real problem or not ....

Id have to assume that you skipped it because you know the answer ... and trust me we all know the answer

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   

And I liked how you provided a perfect example of what my OP talks about.

One problem in the world does not invalidate another, and the humiliations, degradations, and backwards male thinking women are forced to live with in other parts of the world is not the topic of this thread. Nor are the wars. Perhaps we could stay on topic here.

Do you have an answer for the questions I posed in the OP, or is your answer basically that female posters here are treated like they're unintelligent because they are unintelligent?

edit on 7-5-2010 by Jenna because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   

hahaha thats exactly right ... as i said previously she owned herself with her own thread then expects us to respect her for a completely ridiculous and contradictural thread.

wow just wow
Yet here you are once again bumping this worthless thread and continuing to participate in it. Perfectly giving us a shining example of thedismissal of topic due to gender bias. This topic is unworthy of discussion and ridiculous so why again have you more posts than most in this thread'?

Wow just wow.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

Although I haven't run across this chauvinistic attitude in any of the threads I have participated in, I do know that there are those men who feel intellectually superior to women in general.

Let me tell you of my own experience in dealing with women:

Before I retired I was a Vice President of a bank in the Pacific Northwest. My position was as manager of Facilities and Procurement Division. I was responsible for the design, construction and maintenance of bank facilities as well as the purchasing department, telecommunications, outside service contracts and the bank fleet.

I had many women working for me and had several in key managerial positions. My "right arm" was a woman that had previously worked for me at another bank. She was so effective in that position that I hired her away from my previous employer. She started out as an interior decoration coordinator at the first bank and after about a year I promoted her to construction superintendent. This was a "in the field, hardhat position", and I was criticized by many for that move. She was exceptional in that position, overcoming the gender factor in a virtually all male construction world.

Her projects came in on time and on budget consistently. I ended up promoting several other women into similar positions that were considered the realm of males. I was never disappointed by any of them. My assistant went on to replace me when I left the bank.

My wife has two masters degrees, was the Executive Director of the Chamber of Commerce for ten years and is currently a Program Manager for the State Department of Veterans Affairs. She also served in the Air Force (I served in the Navy).

She is smarter than I am! But I am smart enough to support her in every way I can.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   

wow just wow
Yet here you are once again bumping this worthless thread and continuing to participate in it. Perfectly giving us a shining example of thedismissal of topic due to gender bias. This topic is unworthy of discussion and ridiculous so why again have you more posts than most in this thread'?

Wow just wow.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

I think your OP was good. The condition exists.
You weren't complaining, as I read it.

Put it out there, might help some guys who have a problem.

I know who runs my household, it's not me, it is a strong and lovely woman, my wife!
So I try to stay outta the house!

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna

And I liked how you provided a perfect example of what my OP talks about.

One problem in the world does not invalidate another, and the humiliations, degradations, and backwards male thinking women are forced to live with in other parts of the world is not the topic of this thread. Nor are the wars. Perhaps we could stay on topic here.

Do you have an answer for the questions I posed in the OP, or is your answer basically that female posters here are treated like they're unintelligent because they are unintelligent?

edit on 7-5-2010 by Jenna because: (no reason given)

And your trying to portray intelligence with this thread ..... 1 word ... FAIL

and no im not talking about women im talking about your stupid post ... if a guy made a post about this same subject i would say the same thing ... this isnt a problem in the world ... never will be

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

yes sure. well, first of all i never seen anyone say those things on ats, could you provide sources please?

secondly, i know it happens in real world and the answer would be that women like to discuss feelings and emotional topics, like this thread, because they think more with the right hemisphere of their brain.
men, on the other hand are more left brained creatures. they like to discuss topics that are rational, and relevant, and tend to frown upon emotional topics. i hope that answers your question.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater

wow just wow

Wow just wow.

yes you are correct
i was thinking that as i was writing them lol ... im out no more bumps from me (sept this one)

can we some how start a petition to get this thread removed from ATS history, id hate for some first timer to come to ATS and see this thread and think this is what we discuss here.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join