It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Female posters incapable of original thought?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I have noticed flat out mysoginism towrds women in general on this site. If I run across I quote it so people know what it looks like.

I wish the op would link examples of what behavior she means.

When I run across anti woman sentiments I know that the poster has failed in the argument because having to revert to anti female posting is very unoriginal.

I am posting from my phone so when I get home on the puter I will pull together some of the quotes I have seen and to which I refer.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

Why are males only priests?

Pc does not work in nature lol, only in your rubbish world.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Interesting post.

The minority who post on here need to ALWAYS be right, which is funny because people are debating. If you don't agree with what is said most males will revert back to a type of "schoolyard mentality".

"Nut uh, I'm right, even my mommy said so before she packed my lunch before school."

"EWWW, well. You are just a girl, so you are wrong. A yucky, yucky girl you are not smarter than Jimmy"! and the list goes on and on.

Some people just don't grow up, and if it oinks like a pig and eats rotting carcass like a pig, it most surely is a pig. Just ignore this neanderthals they are simply trying to get a rise out of you and others!

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna

I wasn't referencing the people working in those places, I was referencing the helpful older men who don't think I know the difference between nut and a bolt, can't fathom me knowing how to change my own oil, and look like they might have a heart attack when I tell them I know exactly what a pipe wrench is for and since I'm replacing the drain in my bathroom sink I'm quite certain I need it and not a crescent wrench.

You'll also note that I wasn't comparing intelligence levels, I was relating where I tend to notice more men who can't comprehend that a woman can be as intelligent and capable as they are out in the real world and away from the computer. Nowhere in that did I state or imply that those helpful older men were more or less intelligent than myself. It was fully my intention to imply that their "helpfulness" borders on irritating, though, so I hope that came through ok.

I'm just pointing out the stereotypes we use (you used in your) examples, which reinforces (in my mind anyway) the differences in the way males and females 'classify' each other and thus think differently.

2 females are going to have different thoughts, one of them , in most cases, will have more original thoughts than the other. So i guess that either the totality of males or the totality of females are going to have more original thoughts than the other group. I'd be really surprised if it were the same. I'd further guess that balance of 'original thought' shifts from one group to another depending on the survival value of who is 'brainiest' at any given time in evolution.

It's probably quite evenly balanced at the moment. Maybe we can think of a test to see if the balance of 'original thought' is more toward male or female at the beginning of the 21st century ?

[edit on 7-5-2010 by Wobbly Anomaly]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna
Over the years since I first joined ATS, something has been bothering me. There seems to be a persistent belief that women are somehow incapable of understanding some issues or that they should essentially know their place. This isn’t an opinion voiced by all male posters, nor is it my intention to imply such a thing, but it has been voiced on occasion and it typically shows up in the middle of an otherwise civil discussion. What I’d like to understand is why this view is held at all. How did it come about? Why, in this day and age, is it still held at all?

Hmmm.

I'm not sure you're capable of understanding this highly complex issue!

Harte

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by riley

Why would I admit to being wrong? Don't be ridiculous. Someone admitting their wrong requires them to actually believe they are and I do not.

You have just lost all credibility with me.

GJ.

See smart people admit when they are wrong after being proven wrong.

But you have just proven yourself incapable of learning.

No credibility. Gone.

Until you admit your wrong, of course.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
reply to post by Jenna

The Roman Catholic Church is "nature"? I'm just a woman so I may not be understanding which 'rubbish world' you're referring to.

Btw, the Anglican churches and a few other RCC offshoots DO have female priests.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Maybe the reason men do this is because of posts like the OP's crying and whining about stupid crap ... there are alot bigger problems in the world then a man making a joke and telling you to make a sammich or get him a beer. Take the joke and get on with your life and stop bringing it up ... your clearly are doing this for attention ... and you wonder why we make fun ... because the OP is a bull# post/thread that doesn't mean jack crap to anyone and your really just having a whinge

YOU are the reason this is happening because of stupid posts/threads like this crap ... this is the stupidest attention grabbing qq thread i have ever witnessed ... id rather read a hoax post then this utter drivel ...

well done ... go have your cry about this ... maybe go to Africa and tell the poor staving children there that a man made a joke at your expense and see the sympathy you get ...

then trying going to Iraq and telling your problems to the families that have had bombs kill their children and destroy their lives Im sure they will care ....

then try going to Israel and telling the families of the Palestinians who are terrorized daily and under almost full occupation ... family members being killed and bombed randomly ... try tell them your problems that a man made fun of you ...

your ignorance alone thinking that this is an actual issue at all is completely ridiculous ... i cant even express with words how stupid this thread is.

your OP only makes you look worse ... this post/thread is not an original thought ... this is you whining to get attention ... way to own yourself in you own post ... i mean the stupidity of the OP ... my god

Need I go on .... get a life ... grow up and maybe people wont make fun of you. If this is what your bringing to the table i fully support anyone shooting down your posts in other threads because if they are anything like this one ... you deserve it tbh.

[edit on 7-5-2010 by King Loki]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
are you serious? THIS is the kinda stuff we get on FRONT PAGE? This belongs on BTS! this is ridiculous, we got real issues to discuss and we're discussing female feelings? im sorry i been on ats for years(lurker) and never have i seen any posts that offend women. can we get some sources at least? we're just discussing opinions here. how is this on the front page of ATS? it should be in the back alleys of BTS! this is ridiculous.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
But..

Women can't think. And they're not suppose to. They're suppose to be bringing me my dinner when I demand it.

Also, they have no room on the internet. If you're a female and you're reading this,please, get off the computer and actually do your husband some good..for once.

...kidding of course. You get a star and flag.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tiger5
I think it is sexism pure and simple and that you have bent over backwards not to be seen as a "Man-hating feminist" but that is a minor point.

I'm not one. Why would I want to give the false impression I am when I'm not?

Originally posted by KyoZero
Sorry for the lenghty and charged response Jenna...I am just sick of these stupid assumptions on all sides

Actually I agreed with your entire post. Very well put.

Originally posted by nunya13
Crazy...I just noticed this thread after being in another popular thread in which a poster was going out of his way to attack female posters for daring to make comments about war and going so far as to talk about what is between their legs. I'm wondering if your thread was inspired by the same comments I was seeing.

Most likely. If you saw me respond to the comments in the thread you're talking about, then yes. That was the one that inspired this thread.

Originally posted by Kandinsky
Seeing the title of your thread, I turned up to bitch you out and complain about yet another flame-baiting prejudice thread on ATS.

Like I told another poster, probably wasn't the best title choice in hindsight. It summed up the attitude I talk about in the OP, though, so I picked it.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by King Loki

*standing ovation*

great post, great post. we're on the same page(page 8) lol
this sh* is ridiculous, should be put in rants on bts

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

As far as I am concerned people don't have genders in ATS, that's why we have avatars and login names. So that we may be judged on the merits of our words.

Just because a login name or avatar appears female or male doesn't necessarily make it so.

-rrr

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
However, during the years of serious oppression, perhaps women DID band together and weren't as aware of their own power of individuality as they are now. And maybe they felt, at one time, that there would be strength in numbers.

Do you think that might be part of what's causing the idea that a woman on her own isn't capable of being intelligent enough to understand a topic well enough to discuss it?

In other words, it's basically a mild ad hominem used to throw off the woman in the discussion, probably because your opponent can't come up with a good argument to what you've said.

The difference I see, though, is that when it's assumed or known the poster the ad hominem is aimed at is male, the attacker typically leaves intelligence out of it completely. It becomes "you're not from here", "you haven't researched it enough", etc., instead of "you're not capable of understanding this because you're female". A nit-pick perhaps, but it's a difference I've noticed.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

I disagree. I think women are more capable of original thought than man are, and are a great deal more open minded than men. I myself, being a Wiccan, exalt women, and the Feminine Divine. It is the religions that has downed and repressed women for so long, and it is time now for the women of Earth to rise to power in the world, and to take the reins as the Leaders of a Free World. As long as men are running things, we will have war and control.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by rickyrrr

err ppl dont have genders on ats? so why are we discussing genders on ats? and female posters? i agree with you we should not be discussing gender issues on ats, leave that to your personal life. or bts rant sections.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by King Loki

I'm not so sure that the ATTITUDE the OP questions is not a precursor of the ACTIONS one sees in places like Iran and Africa. Such hatred and disrespect for one's fellow man (and women) leads to bombing and starving them.

As my signature suggests, when one sees oppression (anywhere) it is everyone's job to interfere.

Just imagine substituting the word "female" for the word "black" in your post. It would go something like this:

"No wonder you blacks aren't taken seriously, all you ever do is whine about the way you're treated. If you have time to complain then you have time to bring in another bag of cotton. Nature designed you to serve white people so you need to recognize your place and quit making our point for us."

Sounds offensive, doesn't it? Another member on this board pointed out once before that women want respect even more than equality. Don't we all? Is it respectful to insinuate that half the population is mentally inferior to the other half? Is it even remotely accurate?

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
I wish the op would link examples of what behavior she means.

I could, I'm just fuzzy on the rules about that and didn't want to single anyone out.

Originally posted by andy1033

Because the church is sexist. Notice I never said anything about things needing to be PC. And if you were to ask me my thoughts on the PC craze you'd find I'm hardly ever politically correct, that most of the things considered PC drive me insane, and you'd likely hear me vent my frustration at not being able to type the word 'mankind' into Word without it trying to change it to 'humankind'.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by King Loki
Maybe the reason men do this is because of posts like the OP's crying and whining about stupid crap ... there are alot bigger problems in the world then a man making a joke and telling you to make a sammich or get him a beer. Take the joke and get on with your life and stop bringing it up ... your clearly are doing this for attention ... and you wonder why we make fun ... because the OP is a bull# post/thread that doesn't mean jack crap to anyone and your really just having a whinge

YOU are the reason this is happening because of stupid posts/threads like this crap ... this is the stupidest attention grabbing qq thread i have ever witnessed ... id rather read a hoax post then this utter drivel ...

well done ... go have your cry about this ... maybe go to Africa and tell the poor staving children there that a man made a joke at your expense and see the sympathy you get ...

then trying going to Iraq and telling your problems to the families that have had bombs kill their children and destroy their lives Im sure they will care ....

then try going to Israel and telling the families of the Palestinians who are terrorized daily and under almost full occupation ... family members being killed and bombed randomly ... try tell them your problems that a man made fun of you ...

your ignorance alone thinking that this is an actual issue at all is completely ridiculous ... i cant even express with words how stupid this thread is.

your OP only makes you look worse ... this post/thread is not an original thought ... this is you whining to get attention ... way to own yourself in you own post ... i mean the stupidity of the OP ... my god

Need I go on .... get a life ... grow up and maybe people wont make fun of you. If this is what your bringing to the table i fully support anyone shooting down your posts in other threads because if they are anything like this one ... you deserve it tbh.

[edit on 7-5-2010 by King Loki]

This thread is so stupid ima quote myself just so my message is here twice lol ... i still cant get over this crap ... if anyone stars and flags this thread you need to be looking for another site ... because this thread is class A bullcrap and has no place on ATS let alone the front page.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by King Loki

then trying going to Iraq and telling your problems to the families that have had bombs kill there children and destroy there lives Im sure they will care ....

Need I go on .... get a life

Ladies and gentlemen. Here we have an excellent example of what our op was discussing. The above poster clearly makes it known he or she cares not about female issues and instead of ignoring what he she feels is an unoriginal and banal whinefest, he she went ahead and exemplified in post form what Jenna was talking about.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join