It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Female posters incapable of original thought?

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I don't remember seeing any comments like that on ATS, but it's a shame people would attack somebody just because of their gender. (or race or religion or nationality or whatever)

I'm surprised the issue comes up online though. I've seen this happen in the real world all too often, but here, I don't even know the gender of 99% of you, and those I do, it's generally because of something really obvious. Heck, most of the time I'm not even reading the names of the posters, unless I'm trying to follow a back and forth debate or something.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by Xtrozero
Every time someone says or acts like they are female I get the disturbing mental image of some 40 something fat guy living in their mothers basement sitting in his underwear doing the typing...hehe

Never assume anything....

Mom Says, I don't have to talk about such things if I don't want to. Mom says I can just simply be me online. Mom says I don't have to reveal my gender or lack there of.

You should have worn a burqa we would never have known.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
What ever happened to "sticks and stones"? Just like when someone makes a crude racial remark, resorting to ignorant generalizations about someone's sex makes the person making the remark seem like the weaker person; and they immediatly loose all credibility in my eyes.

Now, that said, I think that the reason these things happen is because it's something called the battle of the sexes. I know I'll be hated for this, but I strongly believe that feminism ruined family life in this country. I can fully elaborate on this if someone wishes to get an earful.

Back on topic, I'm for equal rights for all. But, just like racism won't go away as long as we keep bringing up race issues, sexism isn't going away until we stop talking about gender. I'm not saying not to discuss issues when they arrive, but things like someone posted about "woman get paid less than a male with same job" is a lie and only makes the problem worse.

It's true that woman were held to what they now consider lesser roles. How many times has one woman asked another woman what she does for a living and the second woman says, " I'm a stay at home mom." And then the first woman says...O; as if in a way that she was sorry for her, that she's wasting her life by choosing to stay at home to place the parents values in their kids instead of a stranger aka the babysitters or daycares.

Sometimes women need to be women. Not should be women, but need to be women. I believe that dividing the sexes is just one more example of making us all weaker, and it plays nicely into the hands of the people who would like to divide us.

How this ties into the OP I'm not quite sure but, no sensible person would agree that the merit of a person's comments have anything to do with their gender. Just smile that your wit reduced someone to resort to childish insults. We all know you won when it gets to that point.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

just out of curiousity can you give any examples? i scan thru a lot of the topics on here and i don't remember anyone making any negative comments towards women or men anywhere??

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Conspire

i'm almost 30 and stuck living in my parent's basement, althought i'm not sitting here in my underwear and am underweight if anything..

you, my friend, have some serious issues.

or are you simply trying to tell us you're the 40 year old living in your mom's basement that obeys her every command?

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by sum1one

i'm almost 30 and stuck living in my parent's basement, althought i'm not sitting here in my underwear and am underweight if anything..

Ok thanks for sharing that

Is this code for HELP

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   

code for HELP?

not really. if i was so ashamed of it why would I be telling all of you random people on the boards? It's called making a point - you're automatically assuming that because I'm living here I must look like that and obey every command my parents give out. Keep thinking that

But thank you, I think this is a better example of what Jenna's trying to get at more than anything else.... it's very amusing how everytime people try to discuss any topic on forums anywhere, it automatically goes to a # talking contest; if not one of the individuals envolved will almost always immediately jump from topic A to topic Z.

I could make the assumtion that only losers with no lives spend all their free time on the internet, but I'll choose not to.

[edit on 8-5-2010 by sum1one]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
reply to post by thedeadtruth

Let me preface this for those that do not know me. I am female. I am a feminist.

I would like to disagree with you.

And I do disagree with the idea that it is as inherent at you believe. You have to remember that you ARE dealing specifically with women who have absolutely decided to turn on their internal ignore button. They wear it for you to see, and they are the people you are dealing with.

There is absolutely a certain amount of women - maybe even a large section of them - who don't think critically. They've also probably not been encouraged to think critically.

Women are encouraged to ignore the instincts, to find fun in being demeaned, and to accept their place in NOT questioning.

Women are literally encourage NOT to question.

In that context, some of what you are seeing makes sense.

All the same. I have to agree with you more than I would EVER want to.

I also have to agree with another poster I don't want to.

There is a high degree of social group think. Straying from group think is punishable through expulsion, shunning, social cues of disappointment. Conflict and competition are not just discouraged in female groups, but often punished.

Without challenge, critical think is impossible. No matter how open one precieves themselves to be, there is always more information.

Women often love the group/organization/family/unit-of-social-interaction more than the love the truth. The truth disrupts. Disruption is evil.

Not all women are like this. Not all groups are. However, it would be a lie to say it is not ubiquitious.

And it probably is inherent to a degree. When you consider that women who challenge have been WAY more likely to die unpleasantly at the hands of their "loved" ones for "being out of place," a degree of inherent importance of survival being in being socially malleable is probably necessary as a genetic strategy.

[edit on 2010/5/7 by Aeons]

Ok riddle me this...

I live in New Zealand, the first country in the world to give Woman the vote ( very proud of that ) . I am in the Central Business District of our largest City , Auckland , dealing with lawyers, accountants, secretaries through to the Business Owners. So we are not talking about pregnant high school dropouts here. Over 5 years, thousands of people.

This is the very place I should see a positive "change" happening.

I am serious, I want to be engaged in an intellectual way. And I do my best to foster that mentality. So why is it such a fight ?

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
I'm a woman working in a landscape environment 99% male dominated.

Therefore I wear a fairly unflattering work apparel, and get along with the boys a little too well when it comes to crude and straightforward manner, after working with men for 6.5yrs you learn pretty quickly how to make yourself heard with respect to others and yourself...

but I just got asked by a client if I'm pregnant! Because my shirt billows the 'wrong' way! and I'm only 5ft tall and 60kilos!

Women in this industry get snide, shallow and nasty comments all the time... but we only have to react to it if we want to...

the small men can't handle it if you refuse to take the bait and the rest are alllll good!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by wagtail

lol since when is asking a women if she's pregant a rude comment? if anything it should be a compliment - maybe he's trying to tell you he wants to get you in the sack

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by wagtail

Thank you.

I can respect that. When you have men and woman working closely from my experience. As long as there is respect. Each side can poke fun and have a great time opening up on the other sex. It's great fun. As long as neither side takes themselves too seriously.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by sum1one

haha! yeh, he's anticipating the future pitter-patter of mutually created little feet lol =P
No, he was being quite serious actually just a bit weird when you're in the middle of something obviously hard work related!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I grew up with amazing trust issues around men... the predominant absence of a father would partially be responsible there, however, I gravitated toward an industry mostly male dominated...
and I have to say in my personal opinion, men are/can be significantly easier to work with once you lose the primadonna attitude and loosen up a little - (that was Not a euphimism =P) hehehe
Where did the mutual respect between genders go?
Down the collective MSM gurgler!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by sum1one

code for HELP?

not really. if i was so ashamed of it why would I be telling all of you random people on the boards? It's called making a point - you're automatically assuming that because I'm living here I must look like that and obey every command my parents give out. Keep thinking that

But thank you, I think this is a better example of what Jenna's trying to get at more than anything else.... it's very amusing how everytime people try to discuss any topic on forums anywhere, it automatically goes to a # talking contest; if not one of the individuals envolved will almost always immediately jump from topic A to topic Z.

I could make the assumtion that only losers with no lives spend all their free time on the internet, but I'll choose not to.

[edit on 8-5-2010 by sum1one]

Good on ya mate , youve just cussed someone for no reason at all , if you had a balanced mind you may have seen that all I originally posted was a witty remark to your witty post, but it got edited wrongly and subsequently replied to with a wrong edit.
but your mind immediately goes on the attack like your kind usually do yes Iam a loser but hey I know it.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by wagtail

I would agree with you, regarding the work environment observation. I've worked in male dominated fields as well (Engineering, Environmental) as well as female dominated fields (Education, Counseling) and the dynamics are very different - Lol!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Its probably because they (the men) get rejected, so they need to come up with some excuse so they dont seem inferior in their own minds.

They need to learn to not let themselves get defined by other people. These guys probably dont feel too good about themselves so they take it out on women and/or other people.

Its pretty much a classic behavior in some types of human beings. The only difference is how they do it. Women do it too when they constantly compare themselves with everyone around them.

My experience is that woman make slightly better decisions than men in business, but thats very subjective since its only my experience.

[edit on 8-5-2010 by Copernicus]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by wagtail

Well I worked in two fields. Real Estate for 6 years 60% female at our office and the Tech Support which was 40% females. I'll admit there were a few "Drama Queens and primadonna" the vast majority were real down to earth average gals who in a good old fashion capfest/contest of jokes at the opposite sex they gave as good as they took.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

yes absolutely, and such is the nature of our respective breasts...errr I mean Beasts!
Lol, men and women have come such a long way together and yet here we are thousands of years later - sometimes it seems standing on different sides of an enormous chasm,
other days it's so apparent why we were made for each other!
I think respect is the key, every time. From both parties.
=)

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

once people let go of playing concrete stereotype gender roles and relax into each others company, appreciative of what both sexes have to offer things become a lot more fun...
And I think men and women are equally capable of carrying the equality torch for themselves as individuals.
=)

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Hey MODS we solved this thread!

We take the primadonna, Drama queens and the Male chauvinists sexist looser and lock them in a room together and turn off the lights, while they are killing each other and gouging each others eyes out.

I say the average Joe and Jane hit the nightclubs.
We should go dutch just to be sure

[edit on 8-5-2010 by SLAYER69]

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join