It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Female posters incapable of original thought?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I just read a few posts from the link provided and well, i'm kind of shocked. I havent been on ATS long and although ive come across a few comments that were not very nice i'm glad i havent come across such a rude and ignorant sexist such as that poster.
Though kudos to you for defending yourself without lowering yourself to his level. I dont honestly think you will find a straight answer on this thread so may i suggest you ask mr.sexist directly why he chooses to try and demean a fellow posters opinion on the bases on their sex.

Also, To that individual, The men that fight those wars were put here by woman, with a helping hand of a male ofcourse, but never the less. Carried for 9months, raised for 18+ years only to see them go off to battle and die? Why would you think that woman dont understand military matters? Perhaps if woman on both sides had more of a say less people would die.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

Originally posted by Jenna

lol, you have no idea what happened in my life, so i have every right as a human. You can make your statements about i should feel but my life is fact and not based on 1 female doing this.

I never said what I thought you should feel, I said I don't understand why you condemn the many for the sins of the few.

lol again, everyone is just a total of there genes and life. There are plenty of males like me, but the media never reports on them. I wonder how many innocent males are in jail for being like me not interested in your gender.

Do you even understand how it feels to have your life taken away from you over the way you feel.

[edit on 5/7/2010 by andy1033]

Gay and has served time in prison for homosexuality...posting from Iran? Or some other arabic country?

Not an insult, just trying to figure out the mystery...Trying to reconcile your posts..

-Man
-Not interested in women
-Life has been ruined for not being interested in women
-Believes there are many men in jail for similiar reasons
-therefore hates...or strongly dislikes...all women

What am I missing?

[edit on 7-5-2010 by maybereal11]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by King Loki

oops. no more posting personal comments. alrighty then.

nevermind.

[edit on 7-5-2010 by undo]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

Hello Jenna,

I think that some of the sexists comments must be made by A) morons wanting to say what they wouldn't dare in FRONT of a woman, and B) people coming from countries where the culture allows the put down of women.
After all, ATS is a worldwide community.
I guess some of them will change over time, so all is not lost. I concur that it must be very frustrating, tho.

As for old matriarchal societies, your guess as to what happened is as good as mine. Since all that goes around, comes around, I can only guess that at some point, women were like today's patriarchal society, and then things changed and here we are!

If you allow me, your subject brought a memory from a few years ago...
I was in the cafeteria at work, reading a small newspaper from a nearby town. On the table next to me were 4 female co-workers, and I knew 2 of them to be feminists. I'm not a macho, but I decided to yank their chain a bit, because we knew each other well, when I saw many grammatical mistakes in the newspaper. So, innocently, I said out loud:" Pfah! Will you look at those mistakes? It must be a newspaper made from women!" The four of them stopped speaking and gave me mean looks. You can understand I was under fire quite rapidly. So to ease the growing fury, I said I would look at the names of the employees, only to find to my great surprise ( and secret delight, but not in a mean way ) that the only man working for the newspaper was... the photograph! I couldn't stop laughing, and they were speechless... It's such a sad story...

Sometimes, fate seems against you. But I know I find much more sexy a smart girl than a dumb one, if you allow the expression. Life is WAY much more fun with an intelligent woman, as it must be for a woman with an intelligent man. I love Brain D size!

Seriously, I hope your thread opens the eyes of some who are rude to you ladies, or at least, make all of us others more aware of the situation and help deal when a similar situation arises. Have a good day,

Aresh

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
this is true. How many times and was it the same person?

Had to go back and see what you were replying to, I was momentarily lost.

In the thread that prompted me to write this one? Three posts I think (I'd have to go back and look to make sure), and yes by the same person. In other threads, usually one or two posts by the same person and they disappear from the thread after being called out. Those who are joking and get called out unfairly typically respond saying they meant it as a joke.

Originally posted by VitriolAndAngst
There are systemic problems, but for the most part, I think there are a few morons out there, who spread nothing but problems, and they make everyone feel unwelcome. If you count the number of people NOT giving you negative reactions -- that will almost always be over 99% of the people.

Agreed. The people who base the intelligence of others solely on gender are clearly a minority. They just talk louder.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

It would appear that this thread brought a few more of the goons out of the closet.
It worked in that respect, now if you could find a way to heal them!

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious
But seriously. I personally don't see much evidence of your claim and hold you in high regard despite our numerous scuffles. With the likes of yourself, Benevolent Heretic, DGTempe, Silo13, LadyinWating and numerous others, I'd say yall are some of my favorite to read.

[..]

Perhaps sometimes an adversary will play the gender card simply because they've been pwnd. And you are quite good at that.

Thank you, I enjoy reading your posts as well. Even if we do get into the occasional scuffle.

In some instances I'd say you're correct and that it's a response to them not having anything else to say so they resort to attacking. In others I'm not so sure, because the poster they are directed at hasn't said two words to them in the thread so it seemingly comes from somewhere out in left field.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I just posted a viewpoint that will not come up on this thread, but believe me there are plenty of males in jail just for not being interested in females.

If you are looking at critical thinking and saying females have it, i would say no, just look what i wrote above.

For the others asking questions i am not going to write everything on here, but you will understand that this thread will just be some flaming without any real facts i was just stating what i found in my life.

Critical thinking is something lacking in most males, but i would say its lacking in all females. Whether thats through conditioning or genes or hormones or what ever, thats what i found,a nd i am not being rude, i am just saying what i found in my life.

You people all have your lifes and you found what you found, maybe you judge critical thinking on other things that i do, and you think i am wrong, but thats not to say i am wrong, just that we see things different.

I am not being bigoted here, i have just a life experience that shows me what i seen, and that will not change now thank goodness. But the thread starter does have a point but maybe he was being ignorant from his life viewpoint without ever really experiencing anything really to be able to judge this question.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
This has become a huge accusation party driven by EMOTION...not logic or intelligence...not sure what this implies to the question posed in the OP.

P.S. Here is my original reply to this thread...this was before all the emotion started to derail a logical conversation. I know if I don't post this for "context"...I'll be labeled a woman hater. Original Reply

Woman Hater!...

Seriously, good to see you here Outkast..

To your point of this Op being in part emotionally driven, it is...but no more so than any other Op.

Guys can be drama and women can be tough as nails.

Yes, in general women are certainly different in thier thinking...so are men..and both can solve a problem or win a debate without resorting to sexism. Any posts that de-evolve to de-valuing someones opinion based on gender are worthless and idiotic...and yes, just read this entire thread if you didn't think ATS had those kinds of posters.

link   
reply to post by Jenna

Apologize if this has been mentioned already but the whole idea behind females being emotionals and males being rationals stems all way back to ancient greece. I believe it was Plato who originally said women were uncapable of rational thought because they were more tuned in with nature - much like children, while men were above nature and were capable of rational thought - the adults. Anyway, this idea began to infect the western world, and by the colonial times in the late 19th century, it was fused with racist ideas. Women, children and dark-skinned peoples were all classified as "nature-beings" who were utterlly incapable of rational thinking. The white male on the other hand, was the superior one, rational and wise. So sad that these ideas still lingers on...
If this is of interest to you or anyone else, I highly recommend the books "European Feminisms 1700-1950" by Karen Offen and "Colonialism/Postcolonialism" by Ania Loomba.

I sincerely hope most posters on ATS are wise enough to not fall prey to these horrible views.

[edit on 7-5-2010 by Mahasamadhi]

link   
I'm pretty amazed at the some of the responses here. I've worked with the public and met a lot of people. I take them as they come. I've met jerks and really good people of all races, ages and genders. That's no reason to shrink your world by completely giving up on one select group and mislabeling them all.

If you find yourself surrounded by ignorant petty people maybe, for whatever reasons, that's what you attract.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

what is your definition of "critical thinking"? not the dictionary definition, but the one you are using as your measuring stick.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

So my option here was to be an ass and point fingers, or not point fingers and be accused of baiting people. Which would you have me do?

If you are going to make a claim, then you should back it up with some sort of facts...or else don't make the claim.

Yes, that is what in my opinion you should have done...and this even applies if it makes you look like an ass...or just take it up with that ONE MEMBER via U2U instead of creating a sh*tstorm and causing even more division on ATS.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

Well, Jenna, I have to say it is something I battle, as a male, on a daily basis.

On ATS and off ATS, because to me, sexism, is just as ignorant as racism.

The problem though comes from various directions due to the groupthink mentality.

And ATS does it just as much as everywhere else whether on purpose or not.

Quote from : Wikipedia : Groupthink

Groupthink is a type of thought within a deeply cohesive in-group whose members try to minimize conflict and reach consensus without critically testing, analyzing, and evaluating ideas.

As defined by Janis, 1972 “A mode of thinking that people engage in when they are deeply involved in a cohesive in-group, when the members' strivings for unanimity override their motivation to realistically appraise alternative courses of action”.

Individual creativity, uniqueness, and independent thinking are lost in the pursuit of group cohesiveness, as are the advantages of reasonable balance in choice and thought that might normally be obtained by making decisions as a group.

During groupthink, members of the group avoid promoting viewpoints outside the comfort zone of consensus thinking.

A variety of motives for this may exist such as a desire to avoid being seen as foolish, or a desire to avoid embarrassing or angering other members of the group.

Groupthink may cause groups to make hasty, irrational decisions, where individual doubts are set aside, for fear of upsetting the group’s balance.

The term is frequently used pejoratively, in hindsight.

Additional it is difficult to assess the quality of decision making in terms of outcomes all the time, but one can almost always evaluate the quality of the decision-making process.

I will tell you and everyone else right here and now I do not bow to peer-pressure.

When I state that it is to define that I stand up for equality and character.

And while I have many friends here on ATS, just as many are male as are female.

I give people credance based upon their education level, insightfulness, and intelligent means of sharing unique and diverse ideas.

Might I suggest a female author who was a former F.B.I. Agent?

Rosemary Dew : No Backup

The "male-dominated" arena that is ATS is just as relevant at the F.B.I.

And while the domination, through numbers, may be true, the intelligence is not.

I respect people as people, no matter their gender, no matter their race.

We are all human beings first, red blood and gray brain matter, and skin.

What we are, how we act, and how we contribute to society is that which defines who we are, in all things, in all places, and all walks of life.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.

Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.

Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure.

Helen Keller

Deny Ignorance.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Enough.

This topic will get back on topic now. This was a mature discussion until it derailed into off topic personal attacks.

Please return to the topic and do not attack anyone else. Use the alert feature if you feel there is an issue with another member's post.

This is the final staff notice. We are adults capable of discussing this maturely and civilly. Debate the posts and not the posters.

Thank you.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by King Loki

Your not going to get respect with ridiculous thread like this, quite the opposite ... and you clearly missed my point ... here ill spell it out for you

THERE ARE (you get that ... ok) BIGGER PROBLEMS IN THE WORLD THEN THIS CRAP

how many guy verse guy disrespects are on this forum .... just about every post and every thread right ... where is the guy thread saying OMG i got disrespected QQ QQ QQ QQ .... thats right there are none .... pint and case

[edit on 7-5-2010 by King Loki]

1. This thread isn't about some stupid off handed joke some dude made in a thread toward a girl. It's about some BLATANTLY sexist remarks that were and have been made in threads that directly denigrate women by making such remarks as "you aren't qualified to talk about matters of war because you're a female."

2. When guys disrespect other guys on this forum it isn't because of the fact that they are a guy. You don't see some guy who hates Obama saying to another that likes him and is defending him saying, "It must be that your unable to think with your brain and can only do so with your penis that you like Obama" or some such crap like. There is a HUGE difference between attacking someone's ideas, character, education than attacking something such as their sex, race, or something else they have ABSOLUTELY no control over.

3. This thread belongs on ATS because it deals specifically with ATS members making this comments and it is creating an atmosphere in which some of the female members such as the OP and me are feeling very disrespected by others SIMPLY because we were born female.

4. In the thread I am specifically talking about I only saw ONE, ONE! person call this guy out on his bigoted comments and it was a girl. So yeah, it's obviously a problem on ATS when female members are getting treated like lesser beings simply because they are female and other members won't stand up to them and let them know that kind of talk isn't okay. What's worse is when certain members come into a thread that is trying to bring up a legitimate issue because of the increasing sexist tone other members are using and try to write it off as nothing more than a sensitive female whining about a "stupid joke".

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

The last few pages could have been predicted up front. These discussions always end up the same way whether sex, religious affiliation, nationality or whatever is the topic. In reality, to go to the group with what will certainly end up being a problem with a tiny number of people, will always lead to a negative result. It will always cause more problems than whatever set it off to begin with.

I guess what I'm saying is that this is not a conspiracy topic by any stretch. It's you upset at a tiny number of people for a comment they made to you. There are so many threads and topics here that it is highly unlikely anyone not following you through threads would even notice. The topic of gender is almost non-existent here. Why make it seem otherwise?

Now that a topic about a tiny number of people who may have offended you somehow has control of the front page, do you still think this is a worthwhile thread? Christians are insulted here constantly and non-stop. Jews are insulted here constantly and non-stop. Americans are insulted here constantly and non-stop. This is a diverse place.

The battle of the sexes raged through the 60's, the 70's and died out in the 80's into the 90's when it was realized that the only people left still yelling were irrationally sensitive. Do we really want to go back a half a century? Do we really want to go back to a time where it was considered sexist to even mention women are different than men instead of recognizing our differences are what make us strong?

If you have a problem with some individual, why present it as if it a systemic problem when it is not? To dredge up the old battle of the sexes? If somebody broke the T&C, report them individually instead of trying to start a war of the sexes which is the only way this could possible go?

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   

I just posted a viewpoint that will not come up on this thread, but believe me there are plenty of males in jail just for not being interested in females.

If you are looking at critical thinking and saying females have it, i would say no, just look what i wrote above.

Critical thinking is something lacking in most males, but i would say its lacking in all females. Whether thats through conditioning or genes or hormones or what ever, thats what i found,a nd i am not being rude, i am just saying what i found in my life.

You have my sympathy for whatever circumstances brought you to your views.

That said. Women are many things that men are not and vice versa, but they have the same "critical" thinking skills that men have...though they often take a different route to the solution.

Perhaps it requires "critical" thinking skills to recognize that?

Your views are clouded by your past...the bricks you carry....or in other words "emotion"...the irony...

I will offer you these words. I promise you your life will change if you take them seriouslly....let it go...leave the past behind in it's entirity...every day is a completely new life except for the baggage we bring with us.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join