It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is religion nothing more then a form to control the masses?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
People would argue that today's religions are nothing more than a belief system. Even mythologies that were consider true are coming back to light. But this is just a thought I had. It's a curse to think a lot. I could be wrong and please, someone correct me if I'm incorrect. But isn't strange that religions have the ability to bring people under control to the head of state where it's widely practiced. For instance the Angelic church of England is in control by Queen Elizabeth. As well the Roman Catholic church in control by the Pope. and so on. Even many other religious bodies have leaders that are in control by their government. In the past Ancient cultures like Egypt, Rome and others had leaders where coined as God's on earth and were head of the religion. Religious characters widely accepted as real people can eve be used to fool people into believing the religious beliefs that people can control the masses. Jesus is presented as a Godly figure with great wisdom able to perform miracles. that could be able to fool people in following the Christian religion.

give me your thoughts on this guys!!

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
You're on the right track that's for sure.

Exactly why, though I'm a Christian, I'm a 'Spiritualist Christian' and have nothing to do with organized religion.

IMO 'organized' cancels out any possibility of being spiritually soul based..

peace

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Yes, religion is a method of control. So is government (obviously) and so is money. This is the real "holy trinity", in my opinion.

Faith and spirituality are personal beliefs, but organized religion is nothing more than a control mechanism.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I'd like to say that religion is just a form of trying to get it right, the problem that I see is that its just to easy, read a book, take some time to try to do the right thing, but who's really getting it right? No one, because the fallacy is that if you just took the time to see things the way that they are, and take the time to find out for yourself you can come to the realization that we all live for someone else, whether its the government, or our children, or ourselves, just research you will find the answers. We have to relearn EVERYTHING, its hard but fulfilling. We have certain "powers" within ourselves, and though we weren't raised to not know these things, no fault of our parents, they didn't know either, we have to try to figure them out for ourselves, but we have the power to do so now, this is our time, this is OUR evolution. We will make the change,have things like the internet, we have each other, and for most... it doesn't seem right for those that have these resources. It's not agnosticism, its not atheism, its self realization.so good journey.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Tho the bible is, in my opinion, helping people live a better life. Okej not all of it but some things are good. Like love thy neighbor, don't kill, love everyone for anything. Believing in something allmighty have helped many people through bad times, even my girlfriend believes in god (christian/chatolic family) just for the comfort but not changing her life due to her belief.
That's where the problems come in, the church has taken these things and turned them into something else so that they can earn money, get power etc. 5th commandment "thou shall not kill" and somewhere god says "don't kill and never kill in my name (gods name)", not really like that but something like that. But then we have all those crusades, kill the unbelievers in the name of god, Why didn't Jesus kill jews, muslims? Because christianity, for example, is based on peace! But then they threaten with hell, believe in us or you go there, plus we will help you get there because we will kill you for not changing your faith. Plus the bible is like a mixed tape, they have so many different books and parts and things that doesn't even fit togheter. God, who is loving, sometimes tortures people and get vengeful etc. When his son came to earth to take away our sins and never seemed to get even pissed-off. Only when people didn't show respect and love to him, but then he just lectured them with "why should I help you when you don't even show me the respect you want from me?".
So IMO, religion is good for the little man, but has become so corrupted for it's powers over the little man it has gotten it has turned into one of the worst enemies on this planet!

Btw, Every religion has the same base, believe in this to get there (talking about Christianity, Islam, Judism) and some other things that help make the people into better persons with maybe what to eat because it's maybe not that healthy, thats good! But they have turned on eachother because of that, and that's sad...

[edit on 7-5-2010 by svante]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   
This is why i think religion can be used as a control tool.

For a lot of people the Bible is very hard to interpret what it is actually implying/saying. Scholars and and others know this. The church has without doubt taken advantage of this knowledge. But so has a lot of political installations in different nations around the world. Specially in the 3d world.

Religious people are always looking to wards other people who know more about their own believes than they do them selves. And than they put their blind trust in that knowledge, if it adds up to what they believe in.

Than you have the word sacrifice. That is the most dangerous word ever given to a believer. Specially to a person who believes he's religious views very strongly. Sacrifice will make believers go all the way. But that same sacrifice also applies for other believers as well. Like sacrificing your life for a nations flag. Politics works in the same way.

Religion and democracy are the two religions people are willing to sacrifice their life for. Even though we know that non of them give us real freedom. It does gives us a illusion of freedom.

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   
we have thousands of the same topics, why dont you try and search for one instead of starting a new thread and having the same people tell you the same thing.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   
No it is not... Any mindset and acceptable social behavior can do the same... This topic has been played out to death on this site...

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Add the word 'modern' to your thread title and I would be in concurrence.

Ancient religions, in my belief, were perhaps something different.

new topics

top topics

join