It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ukraine to join NATO force this year despite new leader

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Ukraine to join NATO force this year despite new leader

en.rian.ru

Despite the election of a new president widely seen as pro-Russian, Ukrainian troops still plan to join NATO's rapid reaction force later this year, the chairman of the NATO Military Committee has said.

"Ukraine will start making contributions into NATO Response Force in the second half of 2010,"

The troops are supplied by participating states on rotation basis. The NRF has never been deployed for combat operations.

The ex-Soviet state would become the first non-NATO country to join the Respo
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
This is DANGEROUS BUSINESS people... And I was all happy that the new leader was SUPPOSED TO BE an independent from both Russia and NATO... so better relations could be cultivated...

Ukraine failed to secure membership in the NATO Membership Action Plan, a key step toward joining the alliance, at a NATO summit in April 2008.

A KEY STEP TOWARD JOINING THE ALLIANCE... so it's basically putting Ukraine into NATO WITHOUT putting them into NATO...

Let's hope it HELPS dialogue...and doesn't destroy relations... since Ukraine accepted to let Russia be at Sevastopol for a few more decades, I hope it does improve relations...let's see what Putin and Medvedev have to say about it...

en.rian.ru
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7-5-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
This is really weird. I feel so sorry for the people that live there.

They've got the US and IMF and NATO trying to carve them up from one direction. And Russia coming from the other, with their naval base and wanting to "merge" gas companies.

But meanwhile they lose money, lose services. Go hungry. They shouldn't stand for this it's not right. They were independent for a short time, and now they're just another square on the grand chessboard.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

...let's see what Putin and Medvedev have to say about it...

That made me smile. Yes I'm sure Putin and Medvedev will have something to say!

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ufoorbhunter

Yeah let's hope they don't roll in Ukraine...and by rolling I mean with tanks and stuff.

That would bring us closer to WW3 that's for sure.

No way that would ever happen anyway.

[edit on 7-5-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Lol... Flipping Russia the bird isn't too smart when you are constantly late and close to defaulting on your megalithic natural gas bill every month.

I think some Ukrainians might have a cold winter next year.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   
They should really piss the Russians off and bring in Georgia at the same time.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Sounds like some one is trying to cultivate Russia,

What with the deal to allow Russian Military firms to supply certain EU NATO nations with Military hardware, and the reciprical deal to supply French assault ships to Russia start to build a definate picture in my mind.

Almost like certain EU nations is attempting to shift positions playing both US and Russia... that should make for an interesting time ahead.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
This issue is about the NATO Response Force, not joing NATO as an organization, which Ukraine will not do under Yanukovich. This is a political game being played by Yanukovich in an effort not to look like he is solely pro-Russian. Ever since he became President, his main agenda was to improve relations with both Europe and Russia, without bringing Ukraine under anyone's sphere of influence.

The NATO Response Force isn't really the same as being part of the military alliance, nor has it actually ever been utilized in any conflict. It will not involve any foreign troops or foreign bases in Ukraine. It is pretty much a glorified multinational police force. It doesn't increase chances of Ukraine joining NATO either.

I don't think Russia is too concerned about this.

new topics

top topics

join