It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Worst Disaster Since the Civil War But Not as News Worthy as an Oil Spill

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
The Earth's upheavals will not be filmed. Turn off your TV set.

Even if asteroids were peppering Earth our reporters would be Baghdad Bobs, claiming something wildly in conflict with what is really going on.'The asteroids are outside the gates of Earth!' They will proclaim while asteroids slam into earth on tape.

Maybe the Presidency thinks this problem will go away if they don't pay attention to it.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
You have to wonder if the purpose of this "disaster" isn't to intimidate congress and those trying to counter the NWO. When Ron Paul was running for president his home district, Galveston was the target of the hurricane.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
In Australia when an Israeli dies in th emiddle east conflict it makes the
news headlines, if ten Palestinians die its buried further down.
When I was a child John Wayne got all th ecamera shots and sympathy when he got wounded yet scores of Indians were killed and you didnt even get to see their faces.
It is not just a random thing.
Those who direct the media have an agenda, and white christians are just not meant to get sympathetic treatment.
They are the bad guys the proud bible bashers who have no time for Israel or the elite.
In every movie denegrate them , snipe away and laugh at them.
Make as many moviesas you can ie Deliverance that portray them as sinister and backward.
Make as many movies as you can that uses their saviours name as a cuss word, do this even if you know it offends them.
Do it enough times until no one respests them in foriegn countries and in New York.
They are the dead.
As an Aussie I have a soft spot for the south after reading their heroic struggle in the civil war.
But your forced union is not even in Yankee controlled ands anymore, but any eight year old could tell me this.
You just have to see the directors footage .

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by paxnatus

Nashville?

...Not known for blacks.. Hispanics.. or Asians. In fact, it's considered a cultural center for the white loved Country Music.

You find it surprising that the media doesn't care? ... Show me a city where black people are suffering or Hispanics are marching.. that's news. Whites suffering is hardly news.

What? There are plenty of black people in Nashville.
en.wikipedia.org...

Why does someone always have to bring race up?

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir

I have family up in the Clarksville/Hopkinsville region and they said it was really bad up there.

I saw it on the news today on Morning Joe(MSNBC). They were saying how the people were looking out for each other since the government has failed to act. It's terrible when such a horrible disaster happens and no one even talks about it, like it's not important. Atleast Joe, Mika, Dylan, Pat and another lady were talking about it.

[edit on 5/7/10 by Misoir]

ahhh akhenaten doing his worst it seems...err Obama I mean.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

This goes againts much of what I agree with but it has to be said. There's not enough minorities in Nashville. What comes to mind when you think of Nashville? White country singing folk? That's what 50 people said at randomn when I asked them. If there were more minorities there, then someone who wants to make a name of themself would fly in there to get a photo op, then be out of there in time for lunch.

Seriously, not enough minorities is the answer. But who cares anyways, a country boy can survive
Set the example and ya'll be outa hot water in know time, lyou know you will.

P.S. I gets to go there tomorrow to help out with supplies.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Dwellewd

Mwhaahahahahah! Honestly, I didn't even read one post but instead replyed to OP with my first thoughts and saw that they weren't off par with many others' thoughts. Seriosly though, set the example and show the rest of the world what self perseverance is really about. It sure would give us fuel for later debates.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

I don't know. Why does someone always slam white people when they point out double standards and unequal treatment, yet when literally any other race does its, all we hear are violins. Don't be a hypricote, this issue is race. White people don't get to pull the race card that often so leave it alone.

Stop stealing our thunder.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   
What most of the people responding to this thread do not realize is that it is not just Nashville that is affected. Our state government here in Tennessee has requested that 52 counties be declared a national disaster so that they may receive federal aid. 1.5 billion dollars worth of damage in Nashville alone which is only a part of a county. This is a widespread disaster that is far reaching and the fact people are saying it is just Nashville disgusts me. It is Nashville which is in Davidson county plus the other 51 counties devastated by this flood. Another thing to add the people here really do need help, most people down here don't have flood insurance because they thought they would never need it, in fact insurance companies advise to not even get flood insurance because most of the affected areas are not on the flood plain. I was fortunate enough to not sustain any damage, however, I saw houses less than half a mile from my house with water up to their roofs. This is important it is more than Nashville it is all of middle Tennessee, so to all of you who are blowing this off wake up and deny ignorance and see that it is more than just one city affected it is almost the entire state.
Edit:
Also this whole ridiculous notion that Nashville does not have enough minorities etc... is outrageous first of all as I have said this disaster is far reaching and affects much more than Nashville. There are plenty of minorities in middle Tennessee and you know what that shouldn't even make a difference, some of the replies in this thread disgust me.

[edit on 8-5-2010 by FearfulButInterested]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
--------What most of the people responding to this thread do not realize is that it is not just Nashville that is affected.-----------

When people refer to a region, it is not uncommon to list the nearest known point. Why stop at Tennesse, people from Maine could just as easly say the Southeast U.S. Or, people from Canada could refer to it as the southern U.S. Not everyone on here is from the TN area and will list a popular focus point. The news is calling it the Nashville flood.

---------Another thing to add the people here really do need help, most people down here don't have flood insurance because they thought they would never need it, in fact insurance companies advise to not even get flood insurance because most of the affected areas are not on the flood plain. --------

Another thing to add is that people there should really have gotten the flood insurance. I just got a few qoutes online for 350 a year average. That's like 30 dollars a month. Well worth it. The insurance companies tell you not to get it because they know the odds and it's cheaper to not have to pay out. Insurance is an indirect way to gamble, if you think about it.

-----I was fortunate enough to not sustain any damage, however, I saw houses less than half a mile from my house with water up to their roofs. This is important it is more than Nashville it is all of middle Tennessee, so to all of you who are blowing this off wake up and deny ignorance and see that it is more than just one city affected it is almost the entire state.----

You are very fortunate, but yelling at people who are saying how terrible this is just seems kinda, you know, weird. BTW, TN has about 90 counties. 90 counties divided by 50 counties is almost half the entire state.

-----Also this whole ridiculous notion that Nashville does not have enough minorities etc... is outrageous first of all as I have said this disaster is far reaching and affects much more than Nashville. There are plenty of minorities in middle Tennessee and you know what that shouldn't even make a difference, some of the replies in this thread disgust me. ----

You know, what should really disgust you is the fact that this isn't getting much attention because the News centralized it around Nashville, and when people think of Nashville, they think "White country music people". I'm sorry if that sounds bad, but it's the truth and if it sounds bad then unfortunately I guess it is, then. I'm far from a racist, not even totally white myself, I'm just pointing out what some are thinking and are too afraid to probably say it because people like you will shut them down and dance around the real issue. I know, make a grid listing what all the recent events which had media coverage had and common and start deducting. Let me know if you find a common denometer.

I'm not saying minorities get more help than whites, I'm saying that they make for more sympathetic media coverage. Also, though your post may not have been direct to me, but it was right, no one said that TN didn't have enough minorities. We said that TN didn't have enough minorities to gain media coverage. Not enough humanity points to collect, etc. So, after you get all dryed up, I suggest that you wake up and deny ignorance because either you're sleeping or we're living in two completly different worlds. I went back and checked and hardly anyone denied that this was a terrible thing, not to mention that the OP was about the media coverage, afterall.

[edit on 8-5-2010 by Dwellewd]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dwellewd

Whoa now, I don't see at any point where I yelled at anyone. Your response about the region thing doesn't make sense as this is confined to one state not a region and my main point about that was that this flood has affected more than one city in Tennessee. Furthermore, I was elaborating on the extent of the damage to our state, because some people are shrugging this off as just Nashville and if you are denying this you have not read all previous posts in this thread. To your comment about the 90 counties thing if your going to bring it down to being that technical about me saying almost the entire state, let me say this, as stated before 52 counties have been asked to receive federal disaster relief which is by your math more than half of the state, and just because a county does not need federal relief does not mean they were not affected. Your response about the insurance issue is stating my point exactly. My post was not dancing around the idea of op's post at all, I was elaborating on the subject which is a clear constructive contribution to this thread. The fact I didn't mention the media coverage doesn't even matter as my post was solely on elaborating on the damage, and letting people know that it is definitely not confined to a single city, but that it has affected almost the entire state, excuse me, more than half the state, and it will continue to affect us in the months to come.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by FearfulButInterested

Also this whole ridiculous notion that Nashville does not have enough minorities etc... is outrageous first of all as I have said this disaster is far reaching and affects much more than Nashville. There are plenty of minorities in middle Tennessee and you know what that shouldn't even make a difference, some of the replies in this thread disgust me

I guess it was this one. We have two different definitions of yelling,obviously, as well as the word region.

To people in the South, Nashville is in the region of TN. To people in the North, Nashville is in the region of the south. To people in Canada, Nashville is in the region of the southern part of the North America. So, I guess what I was getting at is I don't think that anyone figured that only Nashville was affected by this, but since we're all from differnet regions, we refer to the most common location, which is of course Nashville.

Katrina devestated New Orleans, yet Gulf port and Biloxi were barely mentioned even though it looked like a battlefeild when I rolled through it with my friend to go identify the remains of his late mother.

So, since the region was Nashville, I can state now as a fact that the reason it didn't get too much, if any at all, media coverage is because the media aren't as interested in flooded white people. I know, and you know, and everyone else here knows that there are minorites in TN, but when people think of Nashville, they think of white people. It's directly north of what a guy yesterday called " Ala-hill#ing billy-bama." That's all I'm saying.

The OP was about the lack of media coverage, I offered the reason, based on my own experiences with talking to many many many people, that it's due to race. And until I hear otherwise, I'm sticking to it.

Other than that, I am sorry for the 90 county half state comment. I just got done doing a paper and I was in research mode. I didn't mean to come across like that. You're obviously going through a tough time and my words didn't help to make it any better. I'm sorry. Take care.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by FearfulButInterested

Also this whole ridiculous notion that Nashville does not have enough minorities etc... is outrageous first of all as I have said this disaster is far reaching and affects much more than Nashville. There are plenty of minorities in middle Tennessee and you know what that shouldn't even make a difference, some of the replies in this thread disgust me

I guess it was this one. We have two different definitions of yelling,obviously, as well as the word region.

To people in the South, Nashville is in the region of TN. To people in the North, Nashville is in the region of the south. To people in Canada, Nashville is in the region of the southern part of the North America. So, I guess what I was getting at is I don't think that anyone figured that only Nashville was affected by this, but since we're all from differnet regions, we refer to the most common location, which is of course Nashville.

Katrina devestated New Orleans, yet Gulf port and Biloxi were barely mentioned even though it looked like a battlefeild when I rolled through it with my friend to go identify the remains of his late mother.

So, since the region was Nashville, I can state now as a fact that the reason it didn't get too much, if any at all, media coverage is because the media aren't as interested in flooded white people. I know, and you know, and everyone else here knows that there are minorites in TN, but when people think of Nashville, they think of white people. It's directly north of what a guy yesterday called " Ala-hill#ing billy-bama." That's all I'm saying.

The OP was about the lack of media coverage, I offered the reason, based on my own experiences with talking to many many many people, that it's due to race. And until I hear otherwise, I'm sticking to it.

Other than that, I am sorry for the 90 county half state comment. I just got done doing a paper and I was in research mode. I didn't mean to come across like that. You're obviously going through a tough time and my words didn't help to make it any better. I'm sorry. Take care.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Excellent post and points, S&F for you OP.

As for your question about the media's lack of coverage.. who knows! I have never had any respect for the major networks for reasons such as this.. they latch on to one story for days on end, with no coverage of ANYTHING else.

They have the money and resources to report on several stories at once throughout the day.. who knows why they don't. Probably because they aren't in it for the news..

Whores..

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   

~WTF? I didn't know anything about this!!!!

~I'll have to sit and ponder on a reason for the near nonexistent media coverage. WOW!!!!~

[edit on 8-5-2010 by Isis_444]

[edit on 8-5-2010 by Isis_444]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Once again it never ceases to amaze me how some discussions splinter into troll-o-ramas speculating on everything from the price of Eggs in China to how Zombies will rule the World one day...nuff said...

If one seeks to gain a historical perspective of the recent flood google is your friend once again...

DISASTERS
tennesseeencyclopedia.net...

A number of natural and technological tragedies, as well as epidemics, have shaped the Tennessee experience. Many resulted in massive property damage and/or loss of life and immeasurable human suffering.

Storms have inflicted terrible damage in Tennessee throughout the last two hundred years. Slow-rise and flash floods have been the most common recurrent disasters. The worst slow-rise floods occurred in 1926-27, 1936-37, and 1973. The great Tennessee, Cumberland, and Mississippi River floods of 1927 gave way to even greater floods in 1937. A number of flash floods have occurred, the worst on June 13, 1924, when fifteen inches of rain fell in an eight-hour period. This flood produced a ten-foot-high wall of water which plummeted down a narrow valley in Carter County, killing 11 people and injuring others. Eyewitnesses claimed that one could not stand out in that rain without strangling.

The state has averaged about six dangerous tornadoes per year since 1916, when the National Weather Service began keeping official records. Both individual and swarms of tornadoes have occurred, some with devastating results. Forty-five people were killed and 600 injured in a series of thirteen East Tennessee tornadoes in April 1974. Six twisters killed 52 and injured 552 in six counties in March 1933. Called the East Nashville Tornado, this storm damaged or demolished sixteen hundred structures in that area alone. The worst ever was in March 1952, when 67 people died and 282 were injured as ten twisters touched down in ten counties. Damages exceeded $5.5 million. That total for damages was topped by the Nashville tornado of April 1998 which left extensive property damage in downtown Nashville and in several East Nashville neighborhoods. Another tornado in early 1999 destroyed large portions of downtown Clarksville, demolishing historic churches, commercial buildings, and homes and leaving the Montgomery County Courthouse in shambles.

Flooding in Tennessee Worst in 30 Years
www.associatedcontent.com...

Tennessee flooding: Worst in 50 years as storms kill 15 people
www.examiner.com...

...And as a side note...people who become to complacent, depending on a bloated ineffective Government to come to their rescue, in times of trouble, are IMHO, just asking for trouble...ask not what your Country can do for you...ask what you can do for yourselves and your communities...

Flood brings out best in the worst of times
www.wbir.com...

~snip~

Homes and businesses were ruined, cars and possessions swept away by the fast-rising waters. But the disaster also brought out acts of incredible heroism and generosity.

~snip~

The scene was repeated over and over again in the tiny neighborhood off Charlotte Pike. Rescue boats trolled the flooded streets, pulling people and pets to safety. Neighbors waded into fast-moving waters to carry elderly and disabled persons to safety.

~snip~

"We're drenched, but God takes care of us," said Mary Adkins, one of the chaperones, as the group made its way into the Richland Community Church. The church wasn't an official shelter, but nearby neighbors had thrown open the doors and raided the church's food pantry and clothing donation box to offer what comfort they could to the traumatized residents of the flooded neighborhood.

Nashville music stars help city
www.freep.com...

The music community is rallying around Nashville as the city recovers from flooding that has done an estimated $1.5 billion in damage.

On Thursday night, country star Vince Gill hosted "Flood Relief with Vince Gill and Friends," a telethon on Nashville NBC affiliate WSMV-TV. Gill announced on the show that red-hot country-pop star Taylor Swift, who moved to the city when she was 14, had donated $500,000 to the cause.

Artists including Brad Paisley, Lady Antebellum, Dierks Bentley and Rodney Atkins are the first on board for a May 16 telethon at the historic Ryman Auditorium to benefit the Community Foundation of Middle Tennessee, ew.com reports. The event will air commercial-free from 8 to 10 p.m. on the Great American Country cable network.

The time may be drawing near, when all we'll have is ourselves to face such calamity's...I'll prey and hope the price of Eggs in China or a persons race will be of no consequence, when we are all facing day to day survival...

Hopefully we'll never have to face this scenario, but, Murphy's Law would beg to differ... www.murphys-laws.com...

[edit on 5/8/2010 by Hx3_1963]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Z.S.P.V.G.

I think a more fitting coin would be "Petrogeddon",yeah,that sounds good.

Pretty much sums up the state of the entire planet,considering the fact that Iraq,Iran and Afghanistan are all being fought to STEAL oil wealth,and for land to place the pipeline to pipe it away to the rest of the world.....

Iraq,Iran,Afghanistan.....Up pops Stevie Wonder,how did he know so long ago?.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I can't believe people are acting like there's no black people in Tennessee. That's hilarious. Maybe Tim McGraw will get on a telethon and say, "Barrack Obama doesn't care about white people!" LOL! Why can't we focus on what's important, that people are suffering and need help and not what color their frickin' skin is? Oh, and Nashville is one of the greatest places in the world. The music, the people (of many shapes, sizes and colors.) It's like a home away from home for me so I really hope people get together and help 'em out. I still got faith in my fellow man.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
We live approx. 3 hours west of Nashville, and let me tell you, last weekend the weather was biblical. Regular programming on TV from around 4:00 am Sat until mid-day Sunday was preempted with weather. Tornado warnings every 10 to 20 minutes or so. We cleared out the mirror and other stuff from our hallway bathroom and found pillows and blankets and put in so it became our "Safe Room." Several school systems in Tennessee were closed all week because of flooding and storm damage. Many roads closed and I-40 closed in a couple of places. Many places still under water. Thoughts and prayers, please, to those who lost lives and homes.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Tennesseans Clean Up From Fatal Floods
www.cbsnews.com...

(CBS/AP) The flood waters are receding in Nashville, but left behind are damages estimated at $1.5 billion, and the number is expected to rise as more areas are surveyed.

Mayor Karl Dean said Friday that with 83 percent of Davidson County checked, officials know 9,300 properties have been damaged, almost 2,000 of which are residences.

Dean said the cost of damages will go up because it doesn't include roads, bridges or buildings' contents.

"While the numbers seem daunting, and they truly are large, Nashville is in the process of recovering," Dean said.

The death toll from last weekend's storms and flooding, in Tennessee, Mississippi and Kentucky, climbed to 31 with the discovery of a missing kayaker's body in Kentucky. Twenty died in Tennessee alone.

The National Weather Service said the Cumberland River crested this week at its highest level in Nashville since 1937 - 51.86 feet on Tuesday evening - following 13.5 inches of rain that fell over two days The flood stage is 40 feet.

The all-time record is 56.2 feet in 1927.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join