It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Worst Disaster Since the Civil War But Not as News Worthy as an Oil Spill

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
As a Tennessee resident I think it sucks. We heard
more about earthquakes in other countries. I'll
concede that 29 deaths comes no where close to
hundreds of thousands of deaths but it still does
not make it right.

On another sad aspect of all this, there was definately
more in depth and constant national attention when
Steve McNair was killed, and that is pathetic.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
After Flooding, Nashville Musicians Assess Losses
www.nytimes.com...

NASHVILLE — The country music star Brad Paisley was one of hundreds of performers who feared for their instruments this week after the Cumberland River overflowed. The water covered large areas of Nashville, flooding the Grand Ole Opry stage with two feet of it, causing heavy damage to the symphony hall and forcing electricity to be cut in a tourist neighborhood of downtown.

Mr. Paisley found out on Friday that most of his touring guitars and equipment were destroyed when flood waters spilled into SoundCheck, a 160,000-square-foot storage and rehearsal site, where more than 600 artists — from A-list country music stars like Mr. Paisley, Vince Gill and Keith Urban, to studio artists and touring musicians — stored their instruments and gear.

To his relief, a 1968 Paisley Telecaster, the guitar Mr. Paisley has played since he first started performing, was not damaged. But many of his touring guitars were covered to their neck joints.

“Most of the stuff that we really use every day was sitting on the floor because it had been wheeled back in while we were off the road, and we were about to start rehearsals,” Mr. Paisley said. “So it’s pretty much toast.”

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Z.S.P.V.G.

No, it really wasn't.

I've honestly seen more news articles about the Nashville flood than the attempted bombing. Which, I didn't even see anything on the news about the attempted bombing, though I constantly see articles and stories on TV about the oil spill.

I'm waiting for the conspiracy that the oil spill was done by Obama to take views away from the pointless investigation into his birth place.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
note to self--read whole thread before virtually duplicating another member's post by including the latest Red State Update video.

Although you have to admit that the subliminal drawing from the weather forecast summed it up well....pretty much ****ed.

[edit on 7-5-2010 by Ahabstar]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ericds

I'm waiting for the conspiracy that the oil spill was done by Obama to take views away from the pointless investigation into his birth place.

Funny you should mention a CT

US Orders Blackout Over North Korean Torpedoing Of Gulf Of Mexico Oil Rig
www.whatdoesitmean.com...

A grim report circulating in the Kremlin today written by Russia’s Northern Fleet is reporting that the United States has ordered a complete media blackout over North Korea’s torpedoing of the giant Deepwater Horizon oil platform owned by the World’s largest offshore drilling contractor Transocean that was built and financed by South Korea’s Hyundai Heavy Industries Co. Ltd., that has caused great loss of life, untold billions in economic damage to the South Korean economy, and an environmental catastrophe to the United States.

Most important to understand about this latest attack by North Korea against its South Korean enemy is that under the existing “laws of war” it was a permissible action as they remain in a state of war against each other due to South Korea’s refusal to sign the 1953 Armistice ending the Korean War.

To the attack itself, these reports continue, the North Korean “cargo vessel” Dai Hong Dan believed to be staffed by 17th Sniper Corps “suicide” troops left Cuba’s Empresa Terminales Mambisas de La Habana (Port of Havana) on April 18th whereupon it “severely deviated” from its intended course for Venezuela’s Puerto Cabello bringing it to within 209 kilometers (130 miles) of the Deepwater Horizon oil platform which was located 80 kilometers (50 miles) off the coast of the US State of Louisiana where it launched an SSC Sang-o Class Mini Submarine (Yugo class) estimated to have an operational range of 321 kilometers (200 miles).

On the night of April 20th the North Korean Mini Submarine manned by these “suicidal” 17th Sniper Corps soldiers attacked the Deepwater Horizon with what are believed to be 2 incendiary torpedoes causing a massive explosion and resulting in 11 workers on this giant oil rig being killed outright. Barely 48 hours later, on April 22nd , this North Korean Mini Submarine committed its final atrocity by exploding itself directly beneath the Deepwater Horizon causing this $1 Billion oil rig to sink beneath the seas and marking 2010’s celebration of Earth Day with one of the largest environmental catastrophes our World has ever seen.

To the reason for North Korea attacking the Deepwater Horizon, these reports say, was to present US President Obama with an “impossible dilemma” prior to the opening of the United Nations Review Conference of the Parties to the Treat on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT) set to begin May 3rd in New York.

This “impossible dilemma” facing Obama is indeed real as the decision he is faced with is either to allow the continuation of this massive oil leak catastrophe to continue for months, or immediately stop it by the only known and proven means possible, the detonation of a thermonuclear device.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
While my thoughts go out to the flood victims, I find it telling that no religious nuts have yet proclaimed how TN has incurred the wrath of God.
Surely this disaster can further their agenda. Nashville's bound to have a strip joint, gay bar, or Planned Parenthood office that needs shut down.
Maybe they've realized that sometimes these things just happen. That or they're too smart to bite the hand that feeds them.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by 23refugee

Surely this disaster can further their agenda. Nashville's bound to have a strip joint, gay bar, or Planned Parenthood office that needs shut down.

BAH whatevers, Play and Tribe are still up. The drag shows shall go on! They can kiss our butts. I do believe the Deja Vu is fine if you need to see naked girls though...Since Christies closed and all

Originally posted by Ahabstar
note to self--read whole thread before virtually duplicating another member's post by including the latest Red State Update video.

Although you have to admit that the subliminal drawing from the weather forecast summed it up well....pretty much ****ed.

[edit on 7-5-2010 by Ahabstar]

All good, that was damn hilarious. It's gonna rain tonight and people are freaking a bit.

Really, there's not a lot of human drama here beyond a lot of water and the 30 poor souls who died.. The news media doesn't care because there's nothing crazy to report. None of us looted, none us were running around mad max style. We are just boring country people. That doesn't bring in ratings. Come on, you know they ain't gonna do "Real house wives of Brentwood"! You'd be painfully bored. Heck, we had a tornado outbreak last year and no one cared about that. Well, there was the obligatory dude from the trailer park on though.

[edit on 7-5-2010 by antonia]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
And here's another sad story many may not have picked up on with the bad economy and all...

Tent City homeless camp is destroyed by flooding
www.tennessean.com

The embattled homeless encampment, just off of Hermitage Avenue, which has escaped several shutdown notices from Metro police, was washed away by the weekend's flooding. About 120 people were evacuated from the camp on Sunday, with the help of volunteers from local churches.

They left their few possessions behind. Most escaped with little more than the clothes on their backs. Reginald "Vegas" Watson, 45, a member of the residents council that helped organize Tent City, said the camp is uninhabitable.

The property is covered with diesel fuel from a nearby ruptured storage tank and waste from overturned portable toilets.

"We're not going back," he said. "It's not a fit place for people to live.

Volunteer State earns name as flood victims pull together
www.cnn.com...

Nashville, Tennessee (CNN) -- Tennessee is living up to its Volunteer State moniker as residents grapple with the aftermath of deadly flooding that left widespread damage and an untold number of displaced residents in its wake.

Neighbors are rescuing neighbors. Strangers are chipping in to clean up devastated homes and businesses. Although many have lost everything tangible, their optimism remains intact.

"I'm alive," Ronnie Coleman said. "Everything else, the rest of my life, if I have to fight cancer or whatever -- hey, man, it's going to be a piece of cake to what I went through."

After two days of torrential rain, Coleman waded through chest-high water this weekend at his home in the Whites Creek suburb of Nashville -- a daunting task for a man who can't swim.

His neighbor, Willie Mae Stricklandjordan, whose every belonging was ruined in the flooding, described what happened when Whites Creek overflowed: "The water just gushed in -- and it had a force to it."

Flooding closes curtains at Grand Ole Opry House
www.cnn.com...

(CNN) -- The Grand Ole Opry House is closed for repairs after record amounts of rain sent water 2 feet above its historic stage, damaging instruments, memorabilia and archival tapes at the country music landmark.

Gaylord Entertainment Chief Executive Officer Colin Reed said he did not know how long the facility will be closed. The neighboring Gaylord Opryland Resort, a 2,881-room hotel, also is closed for restoration but will be open before the end of 2010, he said.

"We're going to do everything in our power to restore the stuff that's been damaged by water," Reed said Friday.

He said that quick thinking by Opry management Sunday saved much of the memorabilia there.

Shows scheduled at the facility will move to other Nashville venues during repairs, he said.

[edit on 5/7/2010 by Hx3_1963]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by paxnatus

There could be major economic ramifications from the oil spill, that is why. We are talking the liviloods of hundreds if not hundreds of thousands across multiple states.

I am sorry about Tennesse, but it is not the first place to flood, it doesn't touch Hurricane Andrew.

It is not about competition. It is not who gets the victim award.

I agree 100%. I think we're losing focus here...the Tennessee disaster is horrible and my heart goes out to all of those touched by this but we're talking millions of gallons of crude oil being dumped into one of our planets few remaining healthy eco-systems.

Tennessee will be back on their feet in a year or two, we're talking about decades to recover from the oil spill...and that's IF they can actually get it sealed up.
There's speculation by the Army Corp of Engineers that it could take up to 2 years to permanently cement the wellhead closed, by that time ALL of the worlds oceans would be affected.
As it stands it looks like the Florida mangroves & the everglades are pretty much doomed. The Shrimp, Oyster, Crab industry (which I should add supplies 55% of all of North America) is done.
The Travel/ Tourism industry, Restaurant Industry, The Trucking industry...the list goes on.
The implications are STAGGERING....we're talking about TRILLIONS of dollars over many years.

So why isn't this on every front page on the planet?

Interestingly enough, Obama's 2008 presidential election campaign was partially sponsored by BP at the tune of $71,000...much more than Hilary received. In my opinion, they are well aware of the long term implications of this situation and are making a plan to deal with it.
In the meantime, they are going to downplay to situation to keep people calm...until such a time when the damage becomes undeniable. At that point the "plan" that is being conspired now, will be put into place.
Buckle your seat belts!

[edit on 7-5-2010 by discl0sur3]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
During Obamas presidential campaign, all you heard was "Katrina, Katrina, Katrina." Now that he's in office, he's forgotten about all the promises that he made or is it the this flooding in Nashville wasn't a "Katrina."

Hurricane season is on the horizon and there wasn't a major hurricane to hit the US coast last year. Things like this don't happen two years in a row.

May God be with the people of Nashville, and all the areas affected by last weeks torrential rainfall that included tornadoes, in their recovery efforts.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

You are right! my bad! I meant gravity, but hey you knew that! For being so
attentive, you get the 'GRAMMAR MANIAC" AWARD. Also known as the grammamaniac!!

If you have something worthy to add we would all love to hear it!

Pax

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
Well, there was the obligatory dude from the trailer park on though.

[edit on 7-5-2010 by antonia]
Maybe a lack of mainstream media attention isn't a bad thing. Whenever my area (those mountains to the east) has gotten any media attention, they always interview what they consider to be the most stereotypical hillbilly they can find.
Who needs 'em? TN will be fine. Communities there will help each other. There's a reason they're called Volunteers.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   

I'd say that is because of the impact of the problem in the gulf is far more disasterous than the flood. I am not demeaning the impact of the flood as it is horrendous, but the oil spill is a major ecological and economic disaster that affects a wider area.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
It's cause Obama don't care about people in White's Creek!

You should warn people I spat up my drink.

Buwahahahahaa

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Nashville?

...Not known for blacks.. Hispanics.. or Asians. In fact, it's considered a cultural center for the white loved Country Music.

You find it surprising that the media doesn't care? ... Show me a city where black people are suffering or Hispanics are marching.. that's news. Whites suffering is hardly news.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

The oil slick has had surprisingly very, very minimal impact aside from shrimp fishers. The vast majority of the oil is contained at sea, where it poses little problems aside from birds landing in it.. which doesn't seem to be happening at a terrible rate.. today a package full of water bottles got more attention than Nashville. My fiance didn't even know about it except the 30 second clip about the teledrive fundraiser on the local news.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Even if what you say is true rockpuck, vis-a-vis containment; If it is still gushing out, that IS a problem, No? For how long can it stay out there at sea, remaining so innocuous, as you claim?

That Red State video does rule, poor Tennessee cows.

[edit on 7-5-2010 by Leroy]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Wow, pretty intense. I wonder if this Russian report will be proven true.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I'd like to set the record straight. I never stated that the flood was worst disaster since Civil War, the news article I posted said that. They were referring to Nashville's history not the history of the entire U.S. Thought that was a given, apparently not! And yes, it is the worst disaster for Nashville since Civil War.

I never once stated or inferred that the Nashville flood was BIGGER than the oil spill!! To be perfectly clear, not one time did I state nor do I think that. There is no comparison between the overall disaster of the oil spill and the flood! The oil spill will have a far greater impact in the long run.

I simply meant there is OTHER worthy news! OTHER than the oil in the gulf! OTHER THAN the almost bomber in NYC!! Is there not enough room to give this story more than 15 mins. My point being, if people are not aware that others are hurting and in need then where will help come from.

My main purpose in creating this thread was to say " the media has ignored this story, and these people need some extra help" Not crying " My disaster is bigger than yours" Those are games people and quite childish I might add, I don't have time for games.

Your responses are much appreciated.
Thanks,

Pax

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Thank you for posting this.
You're right about the media coverage.
I was actually telling my mom in KY how I heard about the flood from Québéc's french language TV stations well before I caught anything on the network news out of New York.
Odd how Québécers found this flood more newsworthy than New Yorkers did.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join