It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Euphoria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Dozens of Astronauts have described accounts of a feeling of oneness with the all, timelessness and bliss simply by being in space.

In February, 1971, Apollo 14 astronaut Edgar Mitchell experienced the little understood phenomenon sometimes called the “Overview Effect”. He describes being completely engulfed by a profound sense of universal connectedness. Without warning, he says, a feeing of bliss, timelessness, and connectedness began to overwhelm him. He describes becoming instantly and profoundly aware that each of his constituent atoms were connected to the fragile planet he saw in the window and to every other atom in the Universe. He described experiencing an intense awareness that Earth, with its humans, other animal species, and systems were all one synergistic whole. He says the feeling that rushed over him was a sense of interconnected euphoria. He was not the first—nor the last—to experience this strange “cosmic connection”.

I ended up putting this thread into the philos, psyschol & metaphysics forum rather than space because what they describe is profoundly spiritual, its the same sensation many who have mediated are familiar with. But here you have scientists, many athiest, who report that simply by being in outer space, they have these experiences.

Rusty Schweikart experienced it on March 6th 1969 during a spacewalk outside his Apollo 9 vehicle: “When you go around the Earth in an hour and a half, you begin to recognize that your identity is with that whole thing. That makes a change…it comes through to you so powerfully that you’re the sensing element for Man.” Schweikart, similar to what Mitchell experienced, describes intuitively sensing that everything is profoundly connected.

After decades of study and contemplation about his experience, Ed Mitchell believes that the feeling of “oneness” with the Universe that he and others have experienced is a consequence of little understood quantum physics

Mitchell explains how the event changed his life and his entire perspective on the world and how each of us fits into the grand scale of the cosmos

A Neuroscientist has begun investigating the phenomena.

Schweikart and Mitchell's experiences are not isolated anomalies, many other astronauts since the 1970's have reported this Overview Effect. Andy Newberg, a neuroscientist/physician with experience in space medicine, hopes to find out whether this is an actual psychological phenomenon. Perhaps there is a medical reason for an actual change in an astronaut's brain function when in space. What's more, he's noticed a psychological change in the men and women that have come back from space

He specializes in altered states of consciousness and hopes to be able to watch the "overview effect" unfold

Newberg's first test subject will not be an astronaut, but rather a civilian. Reda Andersen will be leaving the planet with Rocketplane Kistler. She says, that as one of the world's first civilian space adventurers, she is more than happy to let Andy scan her brain if it can help unlock the mystery. Why do astronauts all seem to experience a profound alteration of their perceptions when entering space, and will it happen for Rita and the other civilian explorers as well?

So the neuroscientists are attempting to approach it in a typical way but what could be the metaphysical explanation.

Could our earth have a negative or lower vibrational influx of cosmic energies which due to either the thoughtforms of our peoples or a modification to the natural influx leading to easier control and our descent into bellicosity. Most people don't experience what the astronauts describe in their everyday lives, they need meditation or charkra clearing etc. to start having such experiences. The energies drawn into the body has been called by many names such as prana kundalini or chi. Could it be that once your body is outside of the earths energy "matrix" and into the broader cosmic energies you cease to be effected by the local energy levels and begin to be effected by positive warm cosmic energies without even trying to do anything because the magnitude is so much greater than on earth.

Or due to the fact not all astronauts have reported this, could it be that our cosmic brothers and sisters watch our adventures off the planet and some of these spectators send them love and light in immense proportions.

Now the Chinese have done experiments recently sending seeds into space and the results were stunning. Nasa has tried this except they used an aluminum craft which inhibits the flow of torsion field type energies. This is interesting because Schweikart reported he felt the bliss when stepping outside for his spacewalk.[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/62ba31ac0b8b.jpg[/atsimg]
www.dailygalaxy.com...

This suggests it could have more to do with simply being in outer space rather than having any energy directed at you from cosmic entities.

I'm really interested in what other metaphysical type researchers have to say. The mainstream approach is being covered by expert neurologists, so too is the physiological and psychological explanations by experts in their respective fields. But what about the spiritual explanations??

www.dailygalaxy.com...

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Have you looked into deprivation chambers or tanks? Mybe the experience is similiar, when inside the ship he was contained possibly, outside the ship, in weightlessness, with nothing containing him. Mybe being within the universe and not within a planet, or ship caused the affect. Kind of a release. No boundaries for him to exist within. What do you think?

[edit on 7-5-2010 by onequestion]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Could it be that once your body is outside of the earths energy "matrix" and into the broader cosmic energies you cease to be effected by the local energy levels and begin to be effected by positive warm cosmic energies without even trying to do anything
I was thinking something like that...the first thought that came to my head was the suppression of the collective consciousness of Earth...being the paranoid nut I am...I'd propose some sort of highly advanced Alien technology exists somewhere on Earth, or close to Earth (eg the Moon, which I think actually an artificial structure), and could directly and purposely be used stunt and interfere with our collective matrix and the ability to resonate as one.

P.S - Great freaking thread, this topic is highly intriguing, and I hadn't heard of this before. Thanks for sharing, their testimony is yet another piece of evidence to prove the universe is an interconnected web of energy, and we are all one.

EDIT: To add relevant quote, also used in my thread linked above:

A human being is a part of the whole called by us universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feeling as something separated from the rest, a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.

- Albert Einstein

[edit on 7/5/10 by CHA0S]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   
So basically, if everyone on the planet went to space just once in their lifetime, they would come back enlightened and world peace could be a reality?

Just a thought I had.

new topics

top topics

join